Final Plans for Fall Chicago Meet/ Saturday October 25
Oct 23, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #62 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by stupid_girl_says
Where can I buy a CD3000 for the meet? I am thinking of buying it anyways. If I find a place and I can get it quick enough I might go.

Thanks

There will be several CD3000 at the meet and it might be a good idea to hear them with a bunch of different amps to see how you like them. I guess i could have just said you can "audition" them but I like to waste time punching extra keys when I'm really tired.

I was checking some of the sites for driving direction and again there are some very serious mistakes that will get you hella lost.

Here are my direction coming from the south via I-57:

Coming from I-57 you're going to merge into I-90/94 (Dan Ryan Expressway) in Chicago. take the Dan Ryan for 5 1/2 miles. Exit at 51st street which will put you at 51st and Wentworth street. Stay straight on Wentworth(which is running right along side the expressway you just exited) for half a mile(you can't turn anyway) until you get to 47th street. Turn right on 47th street and go east for 3 miles until you arrive at Cornell ave. Cornell is the first street under a series of two viaducts running under Lakeshore drive. You go under the first Viaduct and Cornell is the first and only right turn you can make. Cornell is a curved street that flows right into 49th street. You can't make any turns until you arrive at 49th steet so don't worry. At 49th street you'll see the rear of the Hotel and just make the left to go around front. The Superior Room is in the lobby to the left and we have full use of the lobby area as well as the very good sized room.

If you are coming south from I-94 just stay on until it becomes the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94) in Chicago and follow the directions above to the hotel.

The big deal here is that mapquest and yahoo maps tell you to turn from 47th street onto Lakeshore drive which you can't do. Once you are traveling east on 47th street you are turning right onto Cornell as described above.

The directions from the northern interstates seem to be more accurate.

The gear list is so stinkin' massive I just can't do it. I can mention the gear that won't be there:

HD650- I was told that the few that are floating around are prototypes and should not be viewed by the public. I did get final pricing and a great deal for a pre-order special from one of our sponsor-meet vendors.

Singlepower MPX3- I miss this one but we'll have one for sure next time.

The universal Digital Players (Denon,Marantz,Yamaha,MaCormack,Integra) that I used to do my yet to be posted shootout. I found one to be a hot-rod,one died a voilent,smokey death and the others had to be returned.

Musical Maverick SACD player,Shandling CDT-200 both died.

I'm not bringing any turntables this time but there will be tables there so don't worry. All my tables have Unipivot arms and are a true pan to set up at meets. Take my word for it when I tell you that we will never get the best sound out of a VPI table on an un-level surface.

All the folks I promised records will get them at the meet. I Still don't have all the shipping boxes and I know a few record seekers are comin' so I'll hand them over in person. Sorry about that.

See you all there and I'm lookin' to have a great time and I hope you all do as well.

edit: I have a bunch of the gear now and I'm using a borrowed "Cable Cooker" to burn in all the cables we're gonna have. Most of them should have 75-100 hours on them by the meet,which will have to be good enough.

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #63 of 85
Wait, there's going to be john grados and Omega 2's at this meet? Awsome, i'm gonna have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #64 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Singlepower MPX3- I miss this one but we'll have one for sure next time.

Tube,

I could bring my MPX3. Also, if you need help with -anything-, please feel free to ask.

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #65 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Hajime
Tube,

I could bring my MPX3. Also, if you need help with -anything-, please feel free to ask.

Thank you sir, Please do bring your MPX3. I did'nt even bother to ask Mikhail about them this time because I already have too much stuff to bring.

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #66 of 85
I can't wait for the meet reports and pics from this thing... this is gonna be more nuts than the World of Headphones tour.

One more reason to go to college in Chicago, I guess
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #67 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
wink.gif

Yes, go to college in Chicago so you can teach me about electronics. Sheeze, you're a year behind me in High School and probably know ten times more.
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #68 of 85
Quote:

The gear list is so stinkin' massive I just can't do it. I can mention the gear that won't be there:

You forgot two...

The Gilmore Hybrid (for the Omegas), and...

The Orpheus.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 10:35 AM Post #69 of 85
Quote:

You forgot two...

The Gilmore Hybrid (for the Omegas), and...

The Orpheus.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I might be getting the Orpheus back soon
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

How many Gilmore Hybrids are there around? I can get the Omegas anytime but really don't care for them. Is the Gilmore any better? Who builds them?

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:19 PM Post #70 of 85
Quote:

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

How many Gilmore Hybrids are there around? I can get the Omegas anytime but really don't care for them. Is the Gilmore any better? Who builds them?

Mikhail is building me the Gillmore Hybrid and hopefully it will be done in time for the NY meet. Only know of 2 other Hybrids.
The one ZZZ built and the man himself Kevin gilmore built.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #71 of 85
Quote:

I can't wait for the meet reports and pics from this thing... this is gonna be more nuts than the World of Headphones tour.

wink.gif

Goto UIUC mate!!! An excellent ECE department and top notch signal processing.

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #72 of 85
Quote:

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Zzz and Mikhail of Singlepower both build Hybrids; Zzz has a number of proprietary circuit tweaks (plus lots of experience) and Mikhail has an absolute monstrosity of an insane power supply design...

Oh, and if you get that Orpheus, get someone to build you a Hybrid for those HE90s. If you don't like the Omegas, then the HE90s are the cans for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #73 of 85
Is anybody driving through or near Evanston on their way to the meet? I am looking for a ride. My car works, I just can't go over 50 MPH so LSD is out of the question. I am willing to pay for gas, or a drink, or whatever. If I do get a ride, I can bring my source- 506.20. Ken, I forgot where you live- send me a PM please!

Thanks!! Andy

Oct 24, 2003 at 11:09 AM Post #74 of 85
OK...it looks like I won't be able to bring any of my bigger stuff (MSB Gold Link III, MSB Network, Elite DV-47Ai, nOrh SE9). I feel badly about it, but I'm running into too much difficulty with logistics making the trip from Detroit and all. Oh well...looks like we'll have LOTS of stuff available anyway.

Yeah...I know...I suck.
tongue.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all there.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2003 at 2:19 PM Post #75 of 85
Last time I had trouble finding a parking spot and I finally parked on one of the side streets. I remember that there was a parking garage by the hotel. Any idea if we can use it or what is a good place to park around there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back