Final Plans for Fall Chicago Meet/ Saturday October 25
Oct 6, 2003 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I think it's a good idea open another thread to update and confirm plans for the Second Annual Chicago Fall Headphone meet.Meet will be held at the Ramada Inn Lakeshore,located at 4900 South Lakeshore Drive in Chicago,on October 25, from 12 noon to 6:00pm. Plans are firm.

The Ramada Inn Laksehore offered a good venue with a good amount of space and the lobby outside the room where we could sit and talk. We're gonna do refreshments this time and the cost is the same no matter how much you consume, so make it worth my money. I decided to do a one day meet to keep costs down and keep the amount of gear reasonable. I don't want to be responsible for all the gear I had last time so I'll just be bringing my own stuff,some Headroom stuff,some gear from TTVJ,The Meier Gear and a few sources. I really want to get a bunch of cables for this meet. It's always cool to have a bunch of amps and sources but we all seem to be scratching for cables. I would like to do some extensive cable auditions at this meet and I have sent out to word to as many cable makes as possible. If you guys have any requests for cables you might want to hear,let me know.

While I cutting back the gear I'm bringing,you are all invited to bring whatever you want and make requests for anu=ything you might want to hear. We will still attempt to do the Twinhead MKII shootput and I've asked for the new Zu Cable for the Senn phones. We should also have some new sources as well as three new amps and a few new phones,possibly including the HD650.

Another change is that we are going to see a bit more manufacturer and dealer involvement. I am not making this a commercial event and I have already informed the pros that we all expect substantial discounts. I did'nt ask for any help with the costs so that we all could share in any savings passed on. I have recommended that these dealers/makers offer pre-order discounts and keep the onsite sales to a minimum,mainly selling the demo gear and in the case of one dealer,the music they intend to bring. This is the sort of an experiment and I hope it works out OK. The Spring meet will be much bigger and will likely be held over two days with some media coverage. At that meet I will certainly need some help from the pros,and this is just my way of feeling them out to see if this is really viable.

This meet will likely be about the same size as the last but with a bunch of new gear and hopefully some new faces. It's always cool to hang with the "usual suspects" but I really want to meet some of the new Head-fi members and the lurkers who never post. This will be your very best chance to hear the great gear in the Chicago area. We can expect at least two confirmed special guests and possibly two more who have expressed an interest to attend. This should be fun.

I ask that you guys get a gear list started for me as I will be busy for the next day or two and I'll post my own gear list later today or tomorrow. See you all soon.

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 85
Well, i know i told tuberoller that i wouldn't be able to make it due to ACT's, looking closer at the situation, there's a good chance i can get there during the second half of the events. If that's the situation, i can bring the following:

MMF 5 with stock goldring cart
OBH-8 with upgraded elpac PSU (500mw)
Ns500v
Eytmontic research ER-4 S (custom tips too, not that it does any other head-fi'ers any good)
Melos SHA-1 with mullard and amperex tubes
Cardas netural referance .5m
Outlaw interconnects .5m

I've also got a nitty gritty 1.0 i could bring if anyone wants to play around with it (I wouldn't reccomend it based on the volume of the thing, but just in case...) And while i can't promise this (Hell, i can't promise i'll make it anyway), there's a good chance that i'll have some of eric's new halogen IC's at the meet for everyone to play with. And i may be alone on this one, but i really kinda want to hear the bogdan cables that were big on the asylum a few months ago.

With that said, i really hope to be able to go
smily_headphones1.gif
. And someone bring HP's this time, they were sorely lacking at the spring meet.

One more thing, this is the same place that you held the spring meet at, right tuberoller?

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 85
Yes,it's the same place. I looked around the city extensivley over the last month or so and that place provides the best choice for a large room,good (and free) parking,expansion if needed,very understanding faculty,and that fantastic view. It ain't cheap but they cut us a nice discount from last time.

I was also offered a very nice catering deal that I have to consider. They will provide a seperate room with all food and tables and drinks. The big problem is that I don't have the option of not having a bar and I can't do that if we have even one person under the age of 21. This is part of the offer with the catering and it's actually a killer deal. I gotta see how we can do this without breakin' any laws.

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 85
I'll make sure there are some cables there, though they may not be covered in Techflex if my supplies don't arrive in time.

Oct 6, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 85
Do you really want a bar at a headphone meet? I mean, i certaintly would think that a few drinks would start to inhibit hearing abilities. This is, of course, based on experences in other countries, without a drinking age
wink.gif

Also, i think it's only fair if you give us an idea of what a fair contrubution to you for this would be. You've been more than generious to the communinty as a whole, and the least we can do is help cover some of the expenses for this

Oct 6, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 85
This is a random comment, but I've heard that drinking or eating products containing large amounts of milk completely screw up your hearing.

In other news, I'll be unable to attend on the 25th. Enjoy the meet, and I'll certainly try to catch the next one.

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 85
No bar.......

I can't do the catering without the bar so there will just be refreshments. That whole thing seems goofy to me. I never wanted a bar but I had to ask. We'll have sodas,juices,dips and stuff like that.

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 85
Hajime - Good to know you'll be going. Just read your post about the Stax system. Nice!

Fred - I'm there. If there is anything you need let me know.

Regards - reynman

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 85
If nothing else, i can provide some refreshments. After all, i never gave you that case of sprecher rootbeer that i promised ya back in april
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 85
I have some requests for gear myself.

I would love to hear a new 3rd gen Ipod,a Zen NX,a Rio Karma,any of the new VD Interconnects,Creek OBH-21 headamp,and any high-end mini-mini interconects that you guys have been using. I'm really looking to do a nice portable system and I want to try some of the good stuff.

I guess I could request review samples but I hate being responsible for this stuff.Let me know ASAP and I'll do what I have to.

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
If nothing else, i can provide some refreshments. After all, i never gave you that case of sprecher rootbeer that i promised ya back in april
smily_headphones1.gif

If you by chance and have room could you bring me a case and I will reimburse you. Thanks

Oct 7, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 85
I think I can make it this time!!!
biggrin.gif

I'll be bringing:

Sony C555ES SACD Player
Nomad Zen (the older version, no NX
frown.gif
)
.6m Nordost Blue Heaven IC
Modded MG Head OTL Ver. 2 (not the MkII)
MG Head OTL-H
C-Moy w/ buffered ground and global feedback loop
HD-580 Jubilee w/ Cardas cable
Grado SR-60 with bowl pads

If you want to hear the Zen Tuberoller, just tell me what you want me to put on it beforehand. Right now I have my conglomeration of mp3's and about 15-20 of my CD's in wav.

Oct 7, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

If you by chance and have room could you bring me a case and I will reimburse you. Thanks

Sure, i should be able to. The cost is 15-something as i recall. I'll send you a PM confirming with you when i get it. (the same if-i-can-make-it applies on that as well)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back