Final from Japan having new line up: MAKE Series
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #61 of 85
Thank you for sharing.

Actually have anyone with MAKE2 or MAKE3 tried applying a filter to the vent hole outside the casing? If you are a bass head, I think you will like it.

From Final's document, it seems like to improve bass, you can either adding Filter B to Sound Pipe or Filter A/C to vent hole.
Personally I don't really like applying high-density Filter B to Sound Pipe because it causes the mid and high becoming kind of muffled.
But applying Filter A/C to vent hole sounds pretty good to improve bass without sacrificing mid and high. Even though I think the default bass is enough for me already. Just sharing the information.
Thank you for sharing the information.
I also agree with you that the default bass is very good for the MAKE2.
I think it's also has a better bass and guitar sound compared to MAKE1.
Overall I still prefer MAKE 1, but it's priced almost double of MAKE2 :sweat_smile:

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #62 of 85
Thank you for sharing the information.
I also agree with you that the default bass is very good for the MAKE2.
I think it's also has a better bass and guitar sound compared to MAKE1.
Overall I still prefer MAKE 1, but it's priced almost double of MAKE2 :sweat_smile:

Haha, when I have the chance I really would like to try MAKE1.
MAKE2 has a dynamic driver and therefore the bass should be more impactful but 4BA on MAKE1 should present a better performance on clarity, accuracy, and speed.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #63 of 85
Haha, when I have the chance I really would like to try MAKE1.
MAKE2 has a dynamic driver and therefore the bass should be more impactful but 4BA on MAKE1 should present a better performance on clarity, accuracy, and speed.

That's 3 BA in fact :wink:

Nov 23, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #64 of 85
That's 3 BA in fact :wink:

From Final crowdfunding page, it is stated as

3BAとお伝えしてきましたが、一般的には2×2の4BAとも呼ぶようです。

Even though it has been described as 3BA, but normally it is called as 2x2 type 4BA.
2x separate smaller driver + 1 bigger driver with 2 drivers inside. Therefore 4BA in total.

146467.png

As you can see in the photo above. There are 2 drivers at the Left, and 1 big driver at the right. The big driver at right actually has 4 connections points which are for 2 drivers.

Nov 23, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #65 of 85
Just received the MAKE2, these are my first Final earphone. I've tried many Final headphones before but none ever hooked me - they look nice and feels well made, but their sound tuning were never to my liking. The MAKE2 however is interesting because of its DIY nature (of course) and being very reasonably priced, so kept an eye out on these for awhile and was hoping to demo them at the various earphone stores in Tokyo but didn't realise they are web order only. Though being reasonably priced I thought I can spare the money and blind bought them and play with them, thought it would be worthwhile learning experience at the very least and if they turn out good would make for a good worker phone to take daily abuse.

These turned out a lot better than I thought and exceeded my expectation out of the box. Excellent craftsmanship with the housing, excellent assortment of accessories in the box, and the sound signature out of box has fun bass while also has enough detail. Going to listen/run these for 20 or so hours first for the drivers to settle before playing with the sound tuning, would probably just tone the bass a little and roll off the treble a bit for an easy listening tune.

Nov 23, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #66 of 85
Just received the MAKE2, these are my first Final earphone. I've tried many Final headphones before but none ever hooked me - they look nice and feels well made, but their sound tuning were never to my liking. The MAKE2 however is interesting because of its DIY nature (of course) and being very reasonably priced, so kept an eye out on these for awhile and was hoping to demo them at the various earphone stores in Tokyo but didn't realise they are web order only. Though being reasonably priced I thought I can spare the money and blind bought them and play with them, thought it would be worthwhile learning experience at the very least and if they turn out good would make for a good worker phone to take daily abuse.

These turned out a lot better than I thought and exceeded my expectation out of the box. Excellent craftsmanship with the housing, excellent assortment of accessories in the box, and the sound signature out of box has fun bass while also has enough detail. Going to listen/run these for 20 or so hours first for the drivers to settle before playing with the sound tuning, would probably just tone the bass a little and roll off the treble a bit for an easy listening tune.

Welcome to the MAKE series family! If you find any good combination, please share with all of us! :beyersmile:
I do agree with the freedom of tuning to cope up with different people taste. A very innovative concept.

Nov 23, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #67 of 85
Even though it has been described as 3BA, but normally it is called as 2x2 type 4BA.
2x separate smaller driver + 1 bigger driver with 2 drivers inside. Therefore 4BA in total. As you can see in the photo above. There are 2 drivers at the Left, and 1 big driver at the right. The big driver at right actually has 4 connections points which are for 2 drivers.

I stand corrected!
they should adequately adjust their marketing page then :p

Nov 23, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #68 of 85
I stand corrected!
they should adequately adjust their marketing page then :p

They should! But perhaps they insist that the number should be counted only on visible units. :shrug:

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #69 of 85
After running the MAKE2 for about 10 hours I think it's about time to start tuning the sound a bit. So I followed Final website's recipe 2 (filter type A-6 into the sound tube, no filter type B in the tube, no filter on driver housing) which is suppose to bring out a lot more treble and reduce a fair amount of the bass first to get a feel of the effect first, and I also swapped the ear tip from the stock M size to the S size to get a loser fit to let the bass bleed out more and also less isolation. The thumping bass is greatly reduced and the treble came out a bit more, and the original edge of the treble is also taken off, probably due to the reduce isolation. It's a great reminder how these minor changes such as fit can lead to a drastic sound signature change. I'll stick with this setting for a couple of days and then change some more. Currently thinking that I may want some of the bass impact back while keeping to the same ear tips, which would either be either using filter B or filter A on the driver housing. Going forward I'm going to change one setting at one time so I can get a better feel of the effect of each filter.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #70 of 85
Currently thinking that I may want some of the bass impact back while keeping to the same ear tips, which would either be either using filter B or filter A on the driver housing. Going forward I'm going to change one setting at one time so I can get a better feel of the effect of each filter.

Isn't applying Filter A at driver housing actually going to cause the bass less impactful?
Applying Filter B at sound pipe will push up the bass but will also sacrifice a little bit of mid and treble.
How about try to apply Filter A (or C if you have it) at the vent hole outside the casing? Or personally I feel that applying A9 at sound tube opening also push up both treble and bass.

Personal experience though. Definitely not a pro yet. :D

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #71 of 85
Erm, MAKE2 users, I am curious about a problem that I am facing.

Every time when I listen with MAKE2, there is a certain frequency that really gets into my nerve.
Sorry that I do not really play a musical instrument but I know that particular frequency comes from cymbal.

Drum-Infographic-1024x621.jpg

I am not sure which Cymbal is that though, but whenever the sound is there, the sound distortion is simply too obvious to me.

First I thought that it is the source or recording issue, but when I try to play the same song with my HD800, it is totally fine.
So I am wondering if users of MAKE2 have the same problem?

Nov 25, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #72 of 85
Isn't applying Filter A at driver housing actually going to cause the bass less impactful?
Applying Filter B at sound pipe will push up the bass but will also sacrifice a little bit of mid and treble.
How about try to apply Filter A (or C if you have it) at the vent hole outside the casing? Or personally I feel that applying A9 at sound tube opening also push up both treble and bass.

Personal experience though. Definitely not a pro yet. :D

I'm following the advice on the Final website and that is the advice in the sound tuning they are giving. And if my understanding of acoustics is correct, then their advice does indeed provide those results.

If you look at the design of the Make2, closing the driver housing port hole is essentially making the dynamic driver part more "boxed in", drawing a comparison to other closed full size headphones which usually has multiple air vents and port holes, this should indeed result in more bass as you are closing the acoustic chamber which would result in more bass rumble. Or in the case of open headphones, if you place your hand on the outside housing this also immediately "boxes in" the sound and the bass also goes up. So this is pretty much a tried and true method in increasing bass - but also would reduce the openness of the headphone.

On the other hand, if you apply filter B - which is inserting different density foam into the sound tube - would dampen the treble which makes the bass more prominent in comparison. Either method should work as in theory one method is increasing the bass relative to the treble using acoustic effect, while the other is reducing the treble relative to the bass via filtering out the higher frequency band. Now which method results in better quality would require some experimentation, my guess is applying filter A to the driver housing would result in more thump but also an even more closed in sound (as you are also reducing the air in the acoustic chamber) while also introducing some undesired sound reflection within the chamber, while applying filter B might muffle the treble as a side effect now as the sound wave has to pass through even more material. But hey, this is part of the fun of the experimentation. :D

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #73 of 85
I'm following the advice on the Final website and that is the advice in the sound tuning they are giving. And if my understanding of acoustics is correct, then their advice does indeed provide those results.

If you look at the design of the Make2, closing the driver housing port hole is essentially making the dynamic driver part more "boxed in", drawing a comparison to other closed full size headphones which usually has multiple air vents and port holes, this should indeed result in more bass as you are closing the acoustic chamber which would result in more bass rumble. Or in the case of open headphones, if you place your hand on the outside housing this also immediately "boxes in" the sound and the bass also goes up. So this is pretty much a tried and true method in increasing bass - but also would reduce the openness of the headphone.

On the other hand, if you apply filter B - which is inserting different density foam into the sound tube - would dampen the treble which makes the bass more prominent in comparison. Either method should work as in theory one method is increasing the bass relative to the treble using acoustic effect, while the other is reducing the treble relative to the bass via filtering out the higher frequency band. Now which method results in better quality would require some experimentation, my guess is applying filter A to the driver housing would result in more thump but also an even more closed in sound (as you are also reducing the air in the acoustic chamber) while also introducing some undesired sound reflection within the chamber, while applying filter B might muffle the treble as a side effect now as the sound wave has to pass through even more material. But hey, this is part of the fun of the experimentation. :D

But if look at the chart for driver housing port hole,

Driver housing port hole (The one inside the earphone)
UoCTACm.png

The default is filterless. The more the hole is closed, the Bass will go weaker and Treble will come forward.
I understand the "boxes in" that you are mentioning here. The "boxes in" concept I think is the vent hole outside the casing beside the ear tip.

Driver housing port hole, the one that you have to remove the 2 screws to open up the earphone, I think is the output hole of the dynamic driver instead. That's why when you add a filter to it, the bass actually goes weaker because the sound transmission from the dynamic driver is blocked.
On the other hand, when the vent hole outside the casing is applied with filter, the "boxes in" affect apply and which give you strong bass.

Front housing vent (The tiny little hole between ear tip and "Final" wordings)
5P8KJYG.png

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #74 of 85
Erm, MAKE2 users, I am curious about a problem that I am facing.

Every time when I listen with MAKE2, there is a certain frequency that really gets into my nerve.
Sorry that I do not really play a musical instrument but I know that particular frequency comes from cymbal.

Drum-Infographic-1024x621.jpg

I am not sure which Cymbal is that though, but whenever the sound is there, the sound distortion is simply too obvious to me.

First I thought that it is the source or recording issue, but when I try to play the same song with my HD800, it is totally fine.
So I am wondering if users of MAKE2 have the same problem?
Is there a song you could link that has an obvious example of this cymbal distortion?

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #75 of 85
Is there a song you could link that has an obvious example of this cymbal distortion?

Hi, thank you for your concern.

Just now I was trying to tune my MAKE2 again. Originally I was using

SoundPipe : A-9 + B-2
Driver Holder : None
Driver Vent : None
Earpiece : M Size

And I had the problem with the cymbal and piercing high which totally overtaken the other frequency which caused the whole piece of music extremely noisy and sounded like hyper high-frequency distortion.

So I tried to change my Earpiece to LL size and the problem that I had was actually 80% solved but LL size simply too big for my ear so I pushed down to L size.
But changing to L size brought back the problem but at least not that fatiguing.

So I started to think maybe I should change the A-9 at SoundPipe.
I switched the A-9 to A-8 and the problem is 100% solved but I am missing some of the forwarding high frequency that I actually like.

I think I will change the A-8 to filter with lower density to push the limit of high frequency that I can accept.

SoundPipe : A-8 + B-2
Driver Holder : None
Driver Vent : None
Earpiece : L Size

But at least with the setting above, it solved the problem I had.

EDIT: Unfortunately I do not like the A-8 after 5min of listening. So I go down from A-8 and decided to stop at A-5 now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back