Final Decision: Make Sure I'm Not Crazy!
Mar 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Geofram

New Head-Fier
Right now I'm watching movies, listening to music (dubstep + folk + hip hop,) and playing games on a pair of broken Bose OE headphones out of a cheap creative sound card.

After about a month of reading, I think I want to do all these things through a pair of DT990's powered by an Asus Xonar Essence ST.
I'm partial to the sound card amp solution because I like what it can do for surround in games/movies and also because desk space is limited and already cluttered.

I chose the DT990's over other considerations because I like deep controlled bass, I adore comfort, and really like how the beyers are received by other buyers. My budget is $250 for the cans, $200 for the card.

There's so much talk about fatiguing treble in the DT990 250's and less in the 600's, but I dont think the Xonar Essence ST will power the 600's well enough for my applications eh?

Am I really going to be able to notice all these small details that make one pair of headphones more desirable than another if I'm coming from such a bad system in the first place?

Priorities:

Comfort > Bass (quality > quantity) > Fatigue-Proof > Soundstage (Movies + Games) > Vocals (Music) > Durability > Budget (Flexible)

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 2
I love my DT990/250's.  The fatigue goes away noticeably after you've burned them in for about 150 hours or so.  Maybe more like 100-120 hours.  I'm not exactly sure when mine went away anymore. 

They're extremely fun headphones though!  Buy them and you won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back