Final Audio's new FI-BA-SB and FI-BA-A1 balanced armature earphones
Oct 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #121 of 206
Here we go again!! lol. Well, I preference that statement with.. "I think...." So again, you're going to argue with me on my opinion? How ludicrous to try to correct me on my opinion? But hey, that's your right too, to think you have that power.

Now, call it an ego or not, but I have worked as a professional journalist specializing in jazz for over 20 years. I'm not good at describing the technical aspects of in-ear monitors, that's not my forte. I can only tell you how it sounds to me and why I like the sound or not. As a jazz journalist, however, let's forget my opinion for a second. Why don't you just do a Google search of the top jazz websites and look for their top 20 or top 100 greatest jazz albums ever sections. I can assure you that the majority of them have "Kind of Blue" listed as the best jazz album of all time. And then if it's not number one on some obscure jazz websites, it's number two on the list. But again, the majority of the websites have it listed as number one. Also, I'm part of the National Jazz Journalists Association. We have voted it the number one jazz album of all time.

So, there you have my opinion and the opinion of other professionals. What does it all mean? It means it's fine that you don't agree. So you like something different? You think something else is better? Good for you. Have at it and relax... lol. You act like I'm misleading the public with some great lie and agenda every time I give my opinion buddy. Happy listening.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Bah sorry, but I just can't help but correct someone when they state "greatest jazz album ever recorded" making it sound like an absolute. "One of  the  best", maybe. "The best ever imo", perhaps. But "greatest jazz album ever recorded" period, sorry but nope I love this album too but I'll be making a huge mistake labeling it as such.  Albums like A Love Supreme, The Black Saint & Sinner Lady and Out to Lunch may touch people a lot more than A Kind of Blue and vise versa, that's the beauty of art. You pick and choose as a listener in an intimate matter, individual choices will never become the absolute outside of your spectrum thought.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #122 of 206
If it's you opinion it's fine I have no problem with that (read my previous post carefully). But it just didn't come out to seem that way.

Sure, Kind of Blue can be seen as number#1 by most critics and sites, but that still doesn't make it the "best", it just makes it more popular with the critics. I've been playing music for many years to know that in the end it's all subjective when it comes to preference, unfortunately most critics don't understand this and try to rank and label things as "best". Arts are polarizing between individuals and even within themselves. Hell, Miles Davis himself didn't think too fondly of A Kind of Blue...

I don't "like" other albums more or less than a Kind of Blue, for me it depends on the mood and time, things always change. I'll be wasting my time trying to rank albums because for me music is in relation to mood and emotion, no one album is going to work for me 100% of the time.

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #123 of 206
Okay, please know that from here on out any post you see from me is strictly MY OPINION (whether I type those words or not) and hopefully we can alleviate anymore exchanges like this. It's all my subjective opinion.
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #124 of 206
Sounds good to me. I would agree that KoB is the most influential thought, as that's easily measurable and you'll have a lot going for an argument. Not "best" though, arts are not sports.

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #125 of 206
Anyway back to the A1's.

I received mine a few days ago.  They are brilliant, though the cable is even thinner than I'd believed.  It is absolutely threadbare.  The SQ however, is absolutely incredible.  I've not had much experience or training but being passionate for any trance or psy music has led me to hunting for the perfect sound.  These lay down everything and anything in such precise and vivid detail that I literally lust for the next time I can lodge them in my ears.

Two things though.  First, their filters appear to be fixed. How do you look after them or remove debri from whatever source?  Secondly I believe I've got a problem with my left ear.  I've noticed it since having these headphones.  The left cannot hear bass as effectively as the right and feel a little "wrong."  If I open my mouth to yawn, then start humming monotone my left ear feels like the drum is not responsive to the pressure like the right, almost like it is not at the same pressure.  Help?  

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #126 of 206
^ Glad to hear you like'em jobbo! They really are pretty sweet.

It may be that your ear canals are different sizes - I have this issue, though maybe not quite as bad as it sounds for you. Try this: as you insert the earphone in your ear, use your opposite hand to pull the ear out and straighten your ear canal - for instance, if you were putting in your earphone in your right ear, use your left hand to pull the tip of your right ear outwards. You might find that you get a better fit that way - otherwise you could try different tips.

I'm curious as to what else you have heard prior to the A1's?

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #128 of 206

Quote:
Anyway back to the A1's.

I received mine a few days ago.  They are brilliant, though the cable is even thinner than I'd believed.  It is absolutely threadbare.  The SQ however, is absolutely incredible.  I've not had much experience or training but being passionate for any trance or psy music has led me to hunting for the perfect sound.  These lay down everything and anything in such precise and vivid detail that I literally lust for the next time I can lodge them in my ears.

Two things though.  First, their filters appear to be fixed. How do you look after them or remove debri from whatever source?  Secondly I believe I've got a problem with my left ear.  I've noticed it since having these headphones.  The left cannot hear bass as effectively as the right and feel a little "wrong."  If I open my mouth to yawn, then start humming monotone my left ear feels like the drum is not responsive to the pressure like the right, almost like it is not at the same pressure.  Help?  

Oi mate

Let me help you out.

Nr.1, use the left earpiece in your right ear, and right in your left, just to make sure the fault isn't in your DAP or in your earphones.

Nr.2, you might simply have some cold symptoms, or have wax in your ear-canal, don't use cotton ear-tips, but find a method to cleanse your ears of wax, and if you have any mild cold symptoms, wait for them to dissipate (drink echinacea and vitamin-c juice or whatever).

Nr.3, At the moment I live on the 27th floor, and up here the air-pressure (or lack of it) affects my listening experience, it took me a while to notice.

Nr.4, If you think your passion for psy/trance and your new IEM's is on 95% volume for hours per day, you might want to sell those "noise-isolating" things and invest in an earbud or clip-on instead.  Some people say earbuds are worse for one's hearing since people maximize the volume on them to drown out the outside noise?  Well that makes no sense to me whatsoever, and if anything I find IEM's more aggressive on my ears than earbuds or clip-ons are (since earbuds/clip-ons leak sound to the outside, in contrast to IEM's that like to inject every decibel like a sonic syringe).
Just in case you decide to go down this track, sell your A1's to me and then look at Sony, Audio-Technica or Yuin for earbuds/clip-ons
wink.gif

For arguments sake, if you have lost 5% of your hearing in your left ear, you better stop before you hit 10%.
wink.gif

Nr.5, Don't play music at really high volumes if you're exercising, feeling weak/dizzy, using medicine, etc.  This is because the natural volume regulator in our ears requires blood to function, and if you are using IEM's and suddenly become light-headed it will sound like a train is passing by and you can get hearing damage.  I don't know if it is fact or theoretical but it makes perfect sense to me.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #129 of 206
I ordered from Musica Accoustics but Ithis was before they were available here in Aus and I'm pretty sure wickeddigital stock them now for a very similar price (his Aus partner).
They're guaranteed for replacement for 12 months if faulty.  Potential recompense if faulty after that depending on circumstances.  Not sure on wickeddigital's policy though.

Cheers a_recording I hadn't considered that!  I spent the last ten minutes trying to achieve a better fit in my left and viola haha!! My left is definitely larger who'd have thought, though unfortunately I still think its definitely a bit of both.  The lower echelon of the bass is still a little lacking in my left ear.  I'll try some new tips for sure though, the difference is already less, thanks!     The A1's themselves are fine as is the iaudio9.  This ussie can be fixed somewhat if I adjust the L/R setting but then the mids/treble is more pronouned to my left and the bass equalises.  I'm refraining from listening like that due to fear of damaging the mid treble in my left also.

I've rarely if ever been impressed by any sound gear other than these 1m long doof trumpets that the owner hand carved and built.  These $20,000 constructions were pounding out enourmous yet the most astonishingly voluptuous and resonant waves of noise, giving me the impression that some form of supernatural-liquid beatjuice was surging into my brain. That was Earthdance last year..they were literally beyond belief and made me realise what was truly possible in regards to the quality of sound that was achievable with speakers.  They started a passion in me and a mate to find something better.

Before these IEMs the only others I'd deem of producing great quality sound that I've listened to: 

KRK RP8's through an Mbox2.  He's an SAE student and has them tuned/set up very very nicely.  I know they're entry level but they blow my mind. 

Another mate's ATH-900's which are very nice though much less precise and soaring in the mid/treble range and the texture? (not sure what the tech term is) of the notes on the A1 is phenomenally better imo.  What really suprised me is that the bass is only slightly less punchy and full sounding with better all round feeling if I tweak the A1's with the Iaudio9.  Please excuse the terminology =P 

My Etymotic Er-6's which gave me joy for a year before they passed beyond the veil.  I treated them like a yoyo on multiple occasions, saving my ipod from hitting the deck with a mad snatch at their poor little leads.  I also wrapped them around it all the time and often just stuffed the jumbled mess into a pocket.  With these to compare to they were but a drop in the ocean, very dry sounding and while being wonderfully clear they lacked any warmth or punch.  In saying all this I loved them and they're what lead me here so thankyou and RIP my little lovelies.

Kiteki, thanks for the purchase offer haha but I'd rather use a pineapple as a suppository than relinquish these gems.  I'm 100% healthy but I'll check the earwax thanks.  The pressure differentiation has me thinking it might be something more serious/irreversible.     As for listening volumes I'm pretty careful and learnt to train myself to listen at a healthy level a while ago.  I also wear those Ety plugs at events. 

I was thinking last night and I do now recall chipping a rockface with a geopick in an old mine a couple of years ago.  The result send a very sharp sound into a 90 degree face to my left (the right didn't have any outcrop) and the reverbration went into my left ear which left me hearing a slowly fading ringing for about four days *winces* but I haven't really noticed any "damage" till now.

So yeah I hope it isn't permanently screwed but if so I'll learn to live with it.  Its more the possibility that I could fix it that gives me any anxiety.

Thanks for all the advice!

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #130 of 206
^ I'm curious about these 1m long doof trumpets you speak of jobbo - that sounds intriguing.. hehe.

As for your ear issue, I think you should try all sorts of things before you put it down to permanent damage - especially since you haven't noticed it before. You may even want to try different tips with the A1's - I use Sony hybrids which get a great seal and kick the sound a little more warmth. Or even, different size tips in each ear.

When I was much younger, I very stupidly put up my ear right to the part of the pedestrian crossing button that makes a little noise for blind people to see and feel. (The bit that is like a little xylophone.) I had ringing for some time after that - though as far as I can tell, no real permanent damage. However, I find that when I lie down my left ear makes a fluttering noise when I wear earphones - especially ones that are a bit harsher - and for a while I put it down to sensitivity to sibilance when i was tired (the only time I would lie down with earphones would be the end of the day). Then I noticed it would go away when I stood up.

Long story short, ears are weird. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #131 of 206

A quote I found with the pic (gotta say they look better in the flesh)

"LMAO, not fake dude and it was their lack of asthetics that was critisized the most. but when u hear them, asthetics go out the window. Each tweeter is worth $6000US and the subbies close to 10k, the mid range were not cheap either, I think 4k each for them, approx 30k all up without anything to run it. These are absolutely the most incredible speaker I have ever heard and are designed and built locally here in WA. I have a pair on order"

I'll grab those sony hybrid tips then!  Cheers.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #133 of 206
I tend to prefer the comply tips with the FA. The Sony, with it's tight nozzle, can be congested too. But since neither the A1 nor the SB are really really bass heavy (they do belt out a good slapping time though), I'd not worry about them getting muffled or boomy with the Comply. Honestly, seems to be good. The Sony hybrid don't fit my ears as well, so I've been using the comply exclusively.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #134 of 206
I'd give comply's a go - if I had them. I've always gotten amazing seals and comfort with Sony's, but yes they can get a little congested - great for taming sibilance, but they do compress the dynamics somehow.

As I mentioned earlier, I got great results with Head Direct bi-flanges with the A1's as well, for a more airy and less warm sound. However, comfort wasn't fantastic. I'm thinking something like UE silicones might work well.

The stock tips sure are nice and squishy, but the sound is a little uninvolving for me. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #135 of 206
Quote:
I tend to prefer the comply tips with the FA. The Sony, with it's tight nozzle, can be congested too. But since neither the A1 nor the SB are really really bass heavy (they do belt out a good slapping time though), I'd not worry about them getting muffled or boomy with the Comply. Honestly, seems to be good. The Sony hybrid don't fit my ears as well, so I've been using the comply exclusively.

Quote:
I'd give comply's a go - if I had them. I've always gotten amazing seals and comfort with Sony's, but yes they can get a little congested - great for taming sibilance, but they do compress the dynamics somehow.

I love the Sony Hybrids. First of all they come in four sizes instead of the usual three, so it's easier to find your perfect fit. Second, their outer rubber surface gives just enough friction to be worn with only a slight pressure against the inside of my ear canals and still achieve a great seal.

But the icing on the cake are their stems: they're long and highly elastic, so you can easily stretch them over wider nozzles. Of course, at full length, the Hybrids openings will be much narrower than the nozzle's and therefore they may tame sibilance, but also get a little congested and possibly overly bassy. Now, what I do is cut down their stem by say 1mm for starters. Then listen for a change in sound. Then cut down by one more mm, listen again, and so on. The shorter their stem, the less bassy and congested they'll become while still retaining a good amount of their treble taming virtues. If necessary you can cut their stem all the way down until their opening sits almost flush with the nozzle's and IME they'll still sound less sibilant than most other silicons I've tried.

Admittedly this method is kinda distructive for the Hybrids, but on the plus side you can virtually tune an IEMs sound signature (within certain limits) without modifying the phone itself.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back