FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Oct 14, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #166 of 903
  I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that has all three DACs that could compare them.  I'd suggest reading up on all of them and then pick the one that works best for you within your budget.  I'm only using the amp and have yet to try the DAC function due to the X3II being my primary listening device.

First, I would not be surprised if some guys already listened to all 3 and came up with notes / conclusions.
Second, even Q1 vs. E10K or Q1 vs. FULLA would be a good starts... :)

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #167 of 903

I think the E10K probably would be better than this if you are just using it with your computer. It is around the same price but as the E10 doesn't have a battery, that is something that makes me thing it will be better considering you are still paying the same. I have the E10, not the E10k. There will only be minor differences though. With the E10k you will be able to plug your PC into the E10 by micro USB cable and it will provide a good DAC as well as an amplifier for your headphones. Also, if you have any PC speakers, use the line out. I use the line out for me amplifier and Hi-Fi speakers. The DAC in the E10 is way better than my computers sound card. The E10k could be better still. There is also a coaxial output if you have another device that happens to have a digital coaxial input.

I would have thought that the E10k would sound as good or better than the Q1. The E10 I have has effective bass boost which people have said maybe isn't the best thing about the Q1. Not that the boost is bad, it is just that I have seen several people comment that the impact isn't that noticeable.

I don't have and haven't heard of the Schiit Fulla so I can't give any info on that. I have only read about the Q1 too. The E10k will maybe suit your needs best out of the 2 FiiO amps if you only intend to use it with your PC.

I am looking to use the DAC/AMP with a laptop, so portability is a plus.  The way I see it:
FULLA is the smallest and most portable.  Reviews put sound quality as better than E10K, but on some machines it is susceptible to noise from USB.
E10K better UI and no noise issues, but SQ not as good as FULLA
Q1 only one with battery, and can be used as stand-alone AMP, which is a nice plus (but not what I am looking for).  USB noise is unknown and no idea how SQ compares to E10K or FULLA.

So, how does SQ of Q1 compare to the other two?
Have I missed anything else in my "summary" above?

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #168 of 903
Hello, I'm planning to buy a portable source soon... As I need a budget solution, I have been thinking about the FiiO X1. But when I saw this, my jaw dropped... It's 40 euros (30%) cheaper than X1 and I can connect it to anything with a USB or 3.5mm connector. I just wanted to clarify - what's the catch? It can't just be 30% cheaper without any serious cons compared to an item from the same manufacturer, can it?

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #169 of 903
I got my Q1 yesterday. I'll post my impressions when I get a little time with it. I will say it is a definate improvement over the headphone out of my MacBook using it as a DAC/Amp. I plan to try it as a USB DAC in my main system where I use my MacBook as a source with an older USB DAC. My MacBook sits in front of me with about 10 feet to my system. I'm currently using a long USB cable to my DAC and a short interconnect to my system.

Question 1: Any thoughts on what is the preferred method- long USB to short interconnect or short USB to long interconnect?

Question 2: Any word on when Fiio might start selling the one cable solution (lightening > USBmini) to connect my iPhone 6 to the Q1? This was mentioned earlier in this thread and I'd rather wait to get one of those than go the CCK two cable setup.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #171 of 903
I got my Q1 yesterday. I'll post my impressions when I get a little time with it. I will say it is a definate improvement over the headphone out of my MacBook using it as a DAC/Amp. I plan to try it as a USB DAC in my main system where I use my MacBook as a source with an older USB DAC. My MacBook sits in front of me with about 10 feet to my system. I'm currently using a long USB cable to my DAC and a short interconnect to my system.

Question 1: Any thoughts on what is the preferred method- long USB to short interconnect or short USB to long interconnect?

Question 2: Any word on when Fiio might start selling the one cable solution (lightening > USBmini) to connect my iPhone 6 to the Q1? This was mentioned earlier in this thread and I'd rather wait to get one of those than go the CCK two cable setup.

Don't waste your time and money on such things, just get a $1 lightning-microUSB cable on ebay...

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #172 of 903

Don't waste your time and money on such things, just get a $1 lightning-microUSB cable on ebay...

I looked and couldn't find a short (or any length) male lightening to male micro USB cable. Best I could find is a male lightening to female micro USB adapter like this .... http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA4UB2B58735
That I could then use with a micro to micro cable like the one referenced a ways back in this thread. I would prefer a single short cable for mobile use.

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #173 of 903
Hello, I'm planning to buy a portable source soon... As I need a budget solution, I have been thinking about the FiiO X1. But when I saw this, my jaw dropped... It's 40 euros (30%) cheaper than X1 and I can connect it to anything with a USB or 3.5mm connector. I just wanted to clarify - what's the catch? It can't just be 30% cheaper without any serious cons compared to an item from the same manufacturer, can it?

Truthfully, I haven't found any large reason to complain. Especially if you just listening through your phone for example. My X1/Q1 stack is my preferred way to listen to music on the go now. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #175 of 903
Truthfully, I haven't found any large reason to complain. Especially if you just listening through your phone for example. My X1/Q1 stack is my preferred way to listen to music on the go now. 

What if I'm listening from my phone and usind it as a DAC? Will itbe as good as X1? Since you use it with X3 and say it's better that way, I can assume it has a better amplifier than X3, which is better than X1. What about the DAC part? Have you tested it in DAC mode connected to your computer versus AMP mode connected to X3? Sorry for so many questions and I understand if it makes too much trouble for you. I just hate impulse buying (bad past experience) and I like to sort it out completely before buying something :)

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #176 of 903
Oct 15, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #177 of 903

What if I'm listening from my phone and usind it as a DAC? Will itbe as good as X1? Since you use it with X3 and say it's better that way, I can assume it has a better amplifier than X3, which is better than X1. What about the DAC part? Have you tested it in DAC mode connected to your computer versus AMP mode connected to X3? Sorry for so many questions and I understand if it makes too much trouble for you. I just hate impulse buying (bad past experience) and I like to sort it out completely before buying something
smily_headphones1.gif

Sadly, I am a cheapskate sometimes and have yet to buy a micro micro OTG to test with my Zenfone 2. I will say I have used it stacked with my Zenphone using the headphone out. Worked quite well, definitely an improvement as well. I can only assume its as good or better. Don't have an X3 to test DAC PC vs X3 LO, perhaps @fourrobert13 can chime in on this. I have also used it on my laptop for some impressive sound quality gains.

Personally Pauliunas, I would recommend checking out some of the detailed reviews. Mine is on the backburner ATM as I have some other reviews in line first. But the other thing I can recommend is buying it from Amazon. You can purchase it here, and if you ultimately are not happy with it, just return it. At worst, you'll be out the shipping cost.

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #178 of 903
Sadly, I am a cheapskate sometimes and have yet to buy a micro micro OTG to test with my Zenfone 2. I will say I have used it stacked with my Zenphone using the headphone out. Worked quite well, definitely an improvement as well. I can only assume its as good or better. Don't have an X3 to test DAC PC vs X3 LO, perhaps @fourrobert13 can chime in on this. I have also used it on my laptop for some impressive sound quality gains.

Personally Pauliunas, I would recommend checking out some of the detailed reviews. Mine is on the backburner ATM as I have some other reviews in line first. But the other thing I can recommend is buying it from Amazon. You can purchase it here, and if you ultimately are not happy with it, just return it. At worst, you'll be out the shipping cost.

Thanks, unfortunately Amazon.com doesn't ship to my country... Amazon.co.uk only ships some of the items, and the shipping is so expensive that I'd rather buy it from the local shop - where it costs 89 euros. They don't have a return policy - but if I want to take advantage of Amazon, I would have to pay both forward and return shipping, that would make almost the whole price of this item. So it's totally not worth it... (not to mention the unavailability of any warranty in my country when buying from Amazon)
Anyway thanks for the help, I appreciate it. For some reason I just thought you were saying you're listening to X3+Q1 :)
Edit: sorry I confused it with X1 - you said you are using it with that, right? Could you tell me if it works better as AMP with X1 or as DAC with PC?

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #179 of 903
@fourrobert13 Did you really get improved SQ with Q1 and X3II ?  I have the X3II, so that is quite interesting!!   which headphones do you use?  what gets better - sound stage? bass? I am curious now...

Anyone on this thread who have tested the Q1 as a DAC - how does it compare to E10K or Schiit FULLA ?
I am really trying to make a decision here, and cannot find good comparisons  :frowning2:
Very few people make references on amazon product reviews, mostly between E10K and FULLA, but nothing compared to Q1 (being too new ?)

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #180 of 903

What if I'm listening from my phone and usind it as a DAC? Will itbe as good as X1? Since you use it with X3 and say it's better that way, I can assume it has a better amplifier than X3, which is better than X1. What about the DAC part? Have you tested it in DAC mode connected to your computer versus AMP mode connected to X3? Sorry for so many questions and I understand if it makes too much trouble for you. I just hate impulse buying (bad past experience) and I like to sort it out completely before buying something :)

X3 has the same power or close to the Q1 to my knowledge. The X1 isn't to far off power wise either, but less than the Q1. You get a DAP & DAC with the X3, but not with the X1. It all boils down to your needs. I'm only using the Q1 to get better battery life from my X3, but the coloration of the sound coming through the Q1 is a nice bonus.

ETA: I have not used the DAC of the Q1 yet, nor the DAC in my X3 because my X3 is my primary listening device. When i'm able to sit down and try it, i'll add it to my complete review, but i just don't have much free time this month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back