FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Oct 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #136 of 903
I woke up with an email from Amazon that says mine will be here tomorrow which is a couple days sooner than my original estimate.  I'll try to post a review, but October is super busy so i don't know if i'll find the time to do it.  I look forward to reading everyone's impressions.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #137 of 903
  A couple of recent posts prompted me to test the Q1 as a DAC/Amp from my PC and compare it to my E7/E9 combo.

The Q1 does a very good job but it falls short of 7/9 combo. This produced a wider a wider soundstage, a more defined deep bass and didn't have the slight 'harshness' of the Q1. This is not surprising as the E7/E9 costs almost three times the price and I didn't buy the Q1 to pair with my PC anyway.

My test track was Mary Black's "Bright Blue Rose". If I didn't have the E7/E9 I would be very happy to use the Q1 and I can see it partnering any laptop that my work asks me to use.

Interesting. I sadly do not have the other combo you are using to test against to see if it is better. But I am planning on going through a pretty thorough review on the Q1. As many people don't have them yet, a good detailed review will absolutely help out. Might need to reach out to a friend to see if I can borrow a set of amp/dac to compare against for the review.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #138 of 903
I got mine Sunday for the explicit purpose of using it in my car, which it works great.
My new LG G4 sounded horrible in the car so I had to find a solution, the Q1 works perfectly.
I have used it with my headphones as well and sounds great just that I can't find a 2" micro usb to micro usb cable
so using it with my headphones is off for now.
Well that and all the buttons on my phone are on the back which means any extra amp/dac would cover them up.

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #140 of 903
  I got mine Sunday for the explicit purpose of using it in my car, which it works great.
My new LG G4 sounded horrible in the car so I had to find a solution, the Q1 works perfectly.
I have used it with my headphones as well and sounds great just that I can't find a 2" micro usb to micro usb cable
so using it with my headphones is off for now.
Well that and all the buttons on my phone are on the back which means any extra amp/dac would cover them up.

I hope I'm not wrong but isn't this the sort of cable you are after?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-2-0-OTG-Cable/dp/B00RX1H9ZS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444157079&sr=1-3&keywords=micro+usb+to+micro+usb

OTG = On The Go. Good name for it. You should then be able to plug your phone into the Q1 if your phone's micro USB port does audio.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #141 of 903

I hope I'm not wrong but isn't this the sort of cable you are after?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-2-0-OTG-Cable/dp/B00RX1H9ZS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444157079&sr=1-3&keywords=micro+usb+to+micro+usb

OTG = On The Go. Good name for it. You should then be able to plug your phone into the Q1 if your phone's micro USB port does audio.

Uhm, that one is a bit too long at 50 centimeters lenght.

This one, at 10 centimeters, would be much better as far as on-the-go use goes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301669713346?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #142 of 903
  Uhm, that one is a bit too long at 50 centimeters lenght.

This one, at 10 centimeters, would be much better as far as on-the-go use goes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301669713346?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

I wasn't sure what length Muddysmind was after and as he/she said "I can't find a 2" micro to micro USB cable". I assumed that to mean that it was hard to come across any cable that was micro USB at both ends. I just posted that one as an example. I understand there are much more efficient ones around.

I maybe should have understood that that could have meant that Muddysmind couldn't find a cable at a convenient length.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #143 of 903
So I just stacked my X1 and my Q1 together, MUCH fuller sound across the board. But I'm noticing only marginal increases with bass boost. Can other owners post their impressions for the bass boost? I'm not looking to blow my ears out. But on 3 different headphones the Bass boost is hardly noticeable regardless of settings (Gain hi/low, ect). All else said and done, this is probably one of the best 70 bucks spent in audio equipment for me.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #145 of 903
I've listened to it for a couple of hours so far and here's my initial impressions:

1. It stacks well with my X3II.  The fit together  just right with only the volume knob extending out.  

2. The mini interconnect is sweet, well done FiiO!

3. I haven't used the DAC function yet, but will get around to it at some point.  I'm not a DAC user since my X3II is my primary listening device.

4. Now for the initial sound impressions.  With the bass boost offf, the sound is meh.  Not very lively, dry, narrow sound stage, and really bland.  I did not enjoy the sound with the bass boost off at all and I think others will agree with me on this.  Now with the boost on, the sound comes alive.  It's fuller and the sound stage widens as well.  The music has body and just comes to life with a flip of that switch.

5.  My main reason for the amp was to extend the battery life of my X3II because I don't own any hard to drive headphones.  I'm running the Q1 on low gain and found no difference in sound on high gain when volume was matched.  I used my Grado SR60e headphones for this initial listening.  I will try my Sennheisers when I have more time.

So far, I'm pleased with it and I'll give a more thorough review when I get some time.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #146 of 903
  I've listened to it for a couple of hours so far and here's my initial impressions:

1. It stacks well with my X3II.  The fit together  just right with only the volume knob extending out.  

2. The mini interconnect is sweet, well done FiiO!

3. I haven't used the DAC function yet, but will get around to it at some point.  I'm not a DAC user since my X3II is my primary listening device.

4. Now for the initial sound impressions.  With the bass boost offf, the sound is meh.  Not very lively, dry, narrow sound stage, and really bland.  I did not enjoy the sound with the bass boost off at all and I think others will agree with me on this.  Now with the boost on, the sound comes alive.  It's fuller and the sound stage widens as well.  The music has body and just comes to life with a flip of that switch.

5.  My main reason for the amp was to extend the battery life of my X3II because I don't own any hard to drive headphones.  I'm running the Q1 on low gain and found no difference in sound on high gain when volume was matched.  I used my Grado SR60e headphones for this initial listening.  I will try my Sennheisers when I have more time.

So far, I'm pleased with it and I'll give a more thorough review when I get some time.

I have some questions for you as I had an almost exact opposite experience, perhaps from the headphones used. So far I've tested my X1/Q1 stack with my SE-425's, a set of Beats Studios (original), and the Havit H91DJ's I'm currently reviewing. I will list my experiences in the same manner as you so people can see our comparison. Let me know how the Senn's go, as I'm very interested how the amp performs for you with a different set of cans.

1. No arguments here. Just like the X3II, the X1/Q1 Stack is perfectly sized, only the volume knob sticks out.

2. The mini interconnect just makes the combo look awesome. Although, personally I would've liked the jack/volume on the top. But I'm just getting picky.

3. DAC functions work great and was one of the simplest hardware setups I've done on a computer in a long time. Simply connect and listen. Foobar you may need to change your output to the DAC. Sounds are similar to those I would hear from my line out on X1 to the amp. More testing on this later.

4. For me and my test cans I could barely make out Bass boost difference regardless of Gain hi/lo, This may be because I was only pumping to volume 1.8-2 before it was satisfactory in volume. Regardless, sound was amazing. Full, larger sound stage. Even some more Bass out of the SE-425's. But regardless of bass boost/gain settings, it was an improvement, maybe because I'm comparing to direct listening with the X1 vs the X3II.

5. Gain hi vs. lo obviously makes the volume higher, but once volume was matched, I could hear a bit more sparkle in the highs for my SE-425's. On the Beats Studio the high gain allowed me to hear the very slight record scratches on my vinyl rip of Daft Punk's Give Life Back to Music, as well as give a more rich/full sound to the whole mix.

Obviously, as I come from an X1 rather than the X3II, I am giddy with joy over this purchase. But I am aware this may be due to the larger jump in quality in my portable setup vs. Fourrobert13's. Will complete a full review later on.

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #147 of 903
  I have some questions for you as I had an almost exact opposite experience, perhaps from the headphones used. So far I've tested my X1/Q1 stack with my SE-425's, a set of Beats Studios (original), and the Havit H91DJ's I'm currently reviewing. I will list my experiences in the same manner as you so people can see our comparison. Let me know how the Senn's go, as I'm very interested how the amp performs for you with a different set of cans.

1. No arguments here. Just like the X3II, the X1/Q1 Stack is perfectly sized, only the volume knob sticks out.

2. The mini interconnect just makes the combo look awesome. Although, personally I would've liked the jack/volume on the top. But I'm just getting picky.

3. DAC functions work great and was one of the simplest hardware setups I've done on a computer in a long time. Simply connect and listen. Foobar you may need to change your output to the DAC. Sounds are similar to those I would hear from my line out on X1 to the amp. More testing on this later.

4. For me and my test cans I could barely make out Bass boost difference regardless of Gain hi/lo, This may be because I was only pumping to volume 1.8-2 before it was satisfactory in volume. Regardless, sound was amazing. Full, larger sound stage. Even some more Bass out of the SE-425's. But regardless of bass boost/gain settings, it was an improvement, maybe because I'm comparing to direct listening with the X1 vs the X3II.

5. Gain hi vs. lo obviously makes the volume higher, but once volume was matched, I could hear a bit more sparkle in the highs for my SE-425's. On the Beats Studio the high gain allowed me to hear the very slight record scratches on my vinyl rip of Daft Punk's Give Life Back to Music, as well as give a more rich/full sound to the whole mix.

Obviously, as I come from an X1 rather than the X3II, I am giddy with joy over this purchase. But I am aware this may be due to the larger jump in quality in my portable setup vs. Fourrobert13's. Will complete a full review later on.

The X1 is excellent, so don't put it down.  I had one paired with a Topping NX1 and loved it.  I only stepped up to the X3II because my music collection was growing and it offered OTG, but i digress.  To me, the X3II headphone out sounded better than the Q1 with the bass boost off.  I went back and forth with bass boost on and off and the difference was night and day to me.  It's been a slow day at work, so i'm listening now.  What i'm finding (still using my Grados), is bass is a bit more punchy at lower volumes than when just using the X3 alone.  I'm listening to some power metal today and it just sounds amazing IMO.  It seems like those of us using the Q1 are all on the same page about it.

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #148 of 903
  The X1 is excellent, so don't put it down.  I had one paired with a Topping NX1 and loved it.  I only stepped up to the X3II because my music collection was growing and it offered OTG, but i digress.  To me, the X3II headphone out sounded better than the Q1 with the bass boost off.  I went back and forth with bass boost on and off and the difference was night and day to me.  It's been a slow day at work, so i'm listening now.  What i'm finding (still using my Grados), is bass is a bit more punchy at lower volumes than when just using the X3 alone.  I'm listening to some power metal today and it just sounds amazing IMO.  It seems like those of us using the Q1 are all on the same page about it.

I wouldn't dare put it down, but it's no secret the X3II has a better sound quality. Which means that the difference the amp makes may be less of an impact on your set. Regardless I can't complain for the money I spent.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #149 of 903
@fourrobert13 Perhaps you can answer a question with your Q1 for me. I notice when listening to my Q1 that as I lower the volume the left ear cuts our before the right. I get no sound until 1.5, then around 1.8 the right side cuts in, but no left. Gradually the left comes in around 1.9. I realize this is a really low level and might just be an equipment thing, just the way it works. But I wasn't sure. I can't go much past 2 without the sound being too high, at least on high gain lol. Let me know what you find.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #150 of 903
@fourrobert13
 Perhaps you can answer a question with your Q1 for me. I notice when listening to my Q1 that as I lower the volume the left ear cuts our before the right. I get no sound until 1.5, then around 1.8 the right side cuts in, but no left. Gradually the left comes in around 1.9. I realize this is a really low level and might just be an equipment thing, just the way it works. But I wasn't sure. I can't go much past 2 without the sound being too high, at least on high gain lol. Let me know what you find.

I noticed this as well on low and high gain. It is normal from what I've read, but I don't recall where I read it. I want to say it was on headfi. Same here though, I can't go past 2 because it gets to loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back