FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Oct 7, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #151 of 903
I noticed this as well on low and high gain. It is normal from what I've read, but I don't recall where I read it. I want to say it was on headfi. Same here though, I can't go past 2 because it gets to loud.

Good to know I'm not the only one to notice this. I fear for the man and phones that use this bad boy on 9... Although I suppose that'd be for harder to drive cans.

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #152 of 903
  Good to know I'm not the only one to notice this. I fear for the man and phones that use this bad boy on 9... Although I suppose that'd be for harder to drive cans.

Yes, the impedence of the headphones will make all the difference to how far you need to turn up the volume. I have the original X3 and with my 32 ohm headphones I have it at around 100. That is pretty loud. I once tried a 16 ohm pair of IEMs and I had to turn it down to below 70 to make it sound like it was the same volume.

If you had the Q1 with 250 ohm headphones, you would need to have it way past 2 on the dial as well as being on high gain. I have the original E10 and E11 and they both have volume dials. I always have them both on high gain as I prefer the volume dial to be more sensitive. When using the amps with my PC, I hardly ever have to go past 3 on the dial on either of them.

Something that I notice about the line out on my X3 though is that it is so loud! It is hard to go past 2 on the dial of my E11 with most of my music on my X3. I assume the newer FiiO players will also have a pretty loud line out too. I am just wondering how this Q1 would compare to my E11.
if I was to get it, I would want a similar level of bas boost but from what some people have said here, it doesn't look to make a great deal of difference.

My AT ATH-AD700s are very bass light so they need a fair quantity of bass boost before it makes a very noticeable difference. This looks much nicer than my E11 and the build quality and the design would suit me very well too. The ports are just where I would need them to be if I wanted to strap it to my X3.

Edit:
I should have also read your previous post. I also have a similar problem with one channel cutting out before the other on both of my amplifiers with dials.
On my E10, when it is on 0.5, the right channel cuts of before let left. On my E11, the left channel cuts out before the right when its dial is at 1.5. On both of these amplifiers, these volumes are extremely low so it isn't a problem for me. It can be more of a problem the louder the input is. If the input is very quiet, it would require you to turn the dial further which would solve the problem. It can be a little bit irritating at times but from my experience, it is a pretty normal thing to happen with amplifiers with dials.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #153 of 903

Yes, the impedence of the headphones will make all the difference to how far you need to turn up the volume. I have the original X3 and with my 32 ohm headphones I have it at around 100. That is pretty loud. I once tried a 16 ohm pair of IEMs and I had to turn it down to below 70 to make it sound like it was the same volume.

If you had the Q1 with 250 ohm headphones, you would need to have it way past 2 on the dial as well as being on high gain. I have the original E10 and E11 and they both have volume dials. I always have them both on high gain as I prefer the volume dial to be more sensitive. When using the amps with my PC, I hardly ever have to go past 3 on the dial on either of them.

Something that I notice about the line out on my X3 though is that it is so loud! It is hard to go past 2 on the dial of my E11 with most of my music on my X3. I assume the newer FiiO players will also have a pretty loud line out too. I am just wondering how this Q1 would compare to my E11.
if I was to get it, I would want a similar level of bas boost but from what some people have said here, it doesn't look to make a great deal of difference.

My AT ATH-AD700s are very bass light so they need a fair quantity of bass boost before it makes a very noticeable difference. This looks much nicer than my E11 and the build quality and the design would suit me very well too. The ports are just where I would need them to be if I wanted to strap it to my X3.

Edit:
I should have also read your previous post. I also have a similar problem with one channel cutting out before the other on both of my amplifiers with dials.
On my E10, when it is on 0.5, the right channel cuts of before let left. On my E11, the left channel cuts out before the right when its dial is at 1.5. On both of these amplifiers, these volumes are extremely low so it isn't a problem for me. It can be more of a problem the louder the input is. If the input is very quiet, it would require you to turn the dial further which would solve the problem. It can be a little bit irritating at times but from my experience, it is a pretty normal thing to happen with amplifiers with dials.

Way back in the thread, FiiO said that the amp sections of the Q1 and E11/A3 are similar in power, but where the Q1 comes out ahead is the fact it is also a DAC and has a 30 hour battery life.  I think the E11 is like 11 hours or so and no DAC.  Of course I didn't really need the DAC, so it was the battery life that sold me on it.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #154 of 903
I would really appreciate a comparison to E10K and Schiit Fulla...
I am only looking for USB DAC functionality (connected to my laptop).  
Obviously, please mention which IEMs and/or HPs been used for comparison.

THANKS!

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #155 of 903
Hey guys.  Quick question.

Does the Q1's LO output level change when the volume knob is turned up or down?

Thanks.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #156 of 903
  Hey guys.  Quick question.

Does the Q1's LO output level change when the volume knob is turned up or down?

Thanks.

No of course, otherwise it won't be a proper LO.

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #157 of 903
  @fourrobert13 Perhaps you can answer a question with your Q1 for me. I notice when listening to my Q1 that as I lower the volume the left ear cuts our before the right. I get no sound until 1.5, then around 1.8 the right side cuts in, but no left. Gradually the left comes in around 1.9. I realize this is a really low level and might just be an equipment thing, just the way it works. But I wasn't sure. I can't go much past 2 without the sound being too high, at least on high gain lol. Let me know what you find.

Hi, Vivicard. 

How about trying to turn up the volume when set to low Gain? And then the sound will become normal or the left and right side will be balanced?   In my opinion, this issue may be caused by the analog potentiometer itself. When the volume is low, the sound will become imbalanced because of the analog potentiometer.

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #158 of 903
   Hi, Vivicard. 

How about trying to turn up the volume when set to low Gain? And then the sound will become normal or the left and right side will be balanced?   In my opinion, this issue may be caused by the analog potentiometer itself. When the volume is low, the sound will become imbalanced because of the analog potentiometer.

It does it at low gain too.  It's not that big of a deal really.  I have to turn the Q1 on and get the volume above 2.  Once the channels are balanced, then I turn it down and all is good.  Topping NX1 would do this as well and I had to do the same thing for it.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #159 of 903
  It does it at low gain too.  It's not that big of a deal really.  I have to turn the Q1 on and get the volume above 2.  Once the channels are balanced, then I turn it down and all is good.  Topping NX1 would do this as well and I had to do the same thing for it.

If you try turning the volume of the input down, then that will mean that you will need to turn the dial of the Q1 higher. This should also sort out the problem. However if you are using a digital input, the volume can sometimes be fixed. This is a problem at times if I use my E11 with the line out of the X3. The line out is very loud and you can only control the volume by the amplifier you are using. If the music I am playing is already very loud, then it is occasionally very hard to to get an equal balance on both sides of my headphones when listening to the music with my E11 volume low. It is an issue I have had with every device that uses a dial for the volume control.

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #160 of 903
   Hi, Vivicard. 

It happens at low gain as well, right around the same level. So it is likely just to potentiometer. Once past about 1.8 its on the right level. Just tougher with easy to drive cans when using the line out from the X1. Much past 2 and the volume is too high.

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #162 of 903

If you try turning the volume of the input down, then that will mean that you will need to turn the dial of the Q1 higher. This should also sort out the problem. However if you are using a digital input, the volume can sometimes be fixed. This is a problem at times if I use my E11 with the line out of the X3. The line out is very loud and you can only control the volume by the amplifier you are using. If the music I am playing is already very loud, then it is occasionally very hard to to get an equal balance on both sides of my headphones when listening to the music with my E11 volume low. It is an issue I have had with every device that uses a dial for the volume control.

I'm running it from the line out of my X3II so there is no volume control.  It's normal, therefore not an issue for me.  

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #163 of 903
  I would really appreciate a comparison to E10K and Schiit Fulla...
I am only looking for USB DAC functionality (connected to my laptop).  
Obviously, please mention which IEMs and/or HPs been used for comparison.

THANKS!

Anyone ?

I need a USB DAC for my laptop, and narrowed it down to: FiiO E10K, FiiO Q1 and Schiit Fulla.
Need some help deciding between them...
Seems like all 3 are good solutions for me, and price wise close to each other.
I was hoping for some notes from people who done some comparison (as USB DAC, and driving easy to drive headphones).

Thanks!!

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #164 of 903

Anyone ?

I need a USB DAC for my laptop, and narrowed it down to: FiiO E10K, FiiO Q1 and Schiit Fulla.
I was hoping for some notes from people who done some comparison (as USB DAC, and driving easy to drive headphones).

Thanks!!

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that has all three DACs that could compare them.  I'd suggest reading up on all of them and then pick the one that works best for you within your budget.  I'm only using the amp and have yet to try the DAC function due to the X3II being my primary listening device.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #165 of 903

Anyone ?

Thanks!!

I think the E10K probably would be better than this if you are just using it with your computer. It is around the same price but as the E10 doesn't have a battery, that is something that makes me thing it will be better considering you are still paying the same. I have the E10, not the E10k. There will only be minor differences though. With the E10k you will be able to plug your PC into the E10 by micro USB cable and it will provide a good DAC as well as an amplifier for your headphones. Also, if you have any PC speakers, use the line out. I use the line out for me amplifier and Hi-Fi speakers. The DAC in the E10 is way better than my computers sound card. The E10k could be better still. There is also a coaxial output if you have another device that happens to have a digital coaxial input.

I would have thought that the E10k would sound as good or better than the Q1. The E10 I have has effective bass boost which people have said maybe isn't the best thing about the Q1. Not that the boost is bad, it is just that I have seen several people comment that the impact isn't that noticeable.

I don't have and haven't heard of the Schiit Fulla so I can't give any info on that. I have only read about the Q1 too. The E10k will maybe suit your needs best out of the 2 FiiO amps if you only intend to use it with your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back