FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Oct 15, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #181 of 903
Thanks, unfortunately Amazon.com doesn't ship to my country... Amazon.co.uk only ships some of the items, and the shipping is so expensive that I'd rather buy it from the local shop - where it costs 89 euros. They don't have a return policy - but if I want to take advantage of Amazon, I would have to pay both forward and return shipping, that would make almost the whole price of this item. So it's totally not worth it... (not to mention the unavailability of any warranty in my country when buying from Amazon)
Anyway thanks for the help, I appreciate it. For some reason I just thought you were saying you're listening to X3+Q1
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, that's unfortunate. Hopefully Fourrobert can shed some light for you. I'd answer for you if I could. That being said, I honestly don't think you'll be wasting your money. The Q1 is at such a good cost already for what it is. And it is an all around improvement for my laptop, my phone, and my x1. Bass increase isn't a thumpy increase, but more of a dynamic increase. It helps the by giving the Bass a better feel all around, for me the Q1 increased the soundstage and gave a moderate increase to sound in all areas. I can't help much in comparisons as this is my first portable amp, but I will say I don't regret a single penny.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #182 of 903
@fourrobert13
 Did you really get improved SQ with Q1 and X3II ?  I have the X3II, so that is quite interesting!!   which headphones do you use?  what gets better - sound stage? bass? I am curious now...

Anyone on this thread who have tested the Q1 as a DAC - how does it compare to E10K or Schiit FULLA ?
I am really trying to make a decision here, and cannot find good comparisons  :frowning2:
Very few people make references on amazon product reviews, mostly between E10K and FULLA, but nothing compared to Q1 (being too new ?)

I'm using Grado SR60e headphones. I listen to all genres of metal music. I enjoyed the sound straight from my X3, but the Q1 adds some richness to the music. The Grados had punchy bass before, but now it has some added impact even at lower volumes. This is with the bass boost on the Q1. Bass boost off is very meh. Sound is dry and boring. The X3 alone has way better sound than the Q1 with the bass boost off. I don't really notice a change in the sound stage because Grados don't have a big one to begin with. I've got a pair of HD558 I want to try with it because they have a bigger sound stage than the Grados. The X3 alone sounds great, but I like the added richness and body the Q1 provides when the bass boost is on. I really only got the Q1 because of the battery life and to get more life out of my X3 battery and it works for that. The added bonus of Q1 sound was a bonus.

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #183 of 903
Will any lightening to micro USB adapter work with a micro OTG cable to connect my iPhone 6 to the Q1? Will this work ....

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA4UB2B58735&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=6152991&SID=ifr6wnl1li00pdn500815

Or do I have to use apples CCK?

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #184 of 903
I'm using Grado SR60e headphones. I listen to all genres of metal music. I enjoyed the sound straight from my X3, but the Q1 adds some richness to the music. The Grados had punchy bass before, but now it has some added impact even at lower volumes. This is with the bass boost on the Q1. Bass boost off is very meh. Sound is dry and boring. The X3 alone has way better sound than the Q1 with the bass boost off. I don't really notice a change in the sound stage because Grados don't have a big one to begin with. I've got a pair of HD558 I want to try with it because they have a bigger sound stage than the Grados. The X3 alone sounds great, but I like the added richness and body the Q1 provides when the bass boost is on. I really only got the Q1 because of the battery life and to get more life out of my X3 battery and it works for that. The added bonus of Q1 sound was a bonus.

@fourrobert13 I apologize for my ignorance, but how does Q1 increase battery life of X3II ?  By not using its built-in AMP (bypassing it when using it for line out)?
Also, how many (from your observation) extra hours do you get out of the X3II ?

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #185 of 903
Will any lightening to micro USB adapter work with a micro OTG cable to connect my iPhone 6 to the Q1? Will this work ....

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA4UB2B58735&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=6152991&SID=ifr6wnl1li00pdn500815

Should do the trick. IMHO, you're wasting money when buying anything from apple. There is always a cheaper and better alternative.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #186 of 903

Hi, in my opinion, the lightning to micro USB adapter on that link can not be used to make the Q1 work as the DAC for the iPhone 6. According to the instroduction for that adapter, "Audio/Video output not supported, some 30 pin accessories also not supported", so it means there is no USB signal will be outputed from the iPhone when connecting it. 
So it is suggested to use the Apple CCK. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #187 of 903

@fourrobert13 I apologize for my ignorance, but how does Q1 increase battery life of X3II ?  By not using its built-in AMP (bypassing it when using it for line out)?
Also, how many (from your observation) extra hours do you get out of the X3II ?

You answered your own question.  I haven't really done a test to see exactly how many hours I gained.  It's on my list of things to do for a thorough review of the Q1.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #188 of 903
  You answered your own question.  I haven't really done a test to see exactly how many hours I gained.  It's on my list of things to do for a thorough review of the Q1.

When should your review be ready?
I cannot wait...  :wink:

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #189 of 903

When should your review be ready?
I cannot wait...  :wink:

I'd like to get it done in the next couple of weeks, but October has been a very busy month for me at work.  I am doing a lot of traveling for work as well which makes it that much more difficult to find time while on the road.  I do have it started and I'll post it as soon as I get it done...hopefully soon.

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #190 of 903
  Now, there is No need  for Fiio E11K....anymore.....with DAC function and 30 hours of battery life it is marvelous offering. Thank God there is no Display.

Eagerly waiting to read user review. 

E11k is more powerful than Q1

The A3/E11k is rated at 270 mW into 32ohms, vs 190 mW for Q1 and the A3E11k outputs slightly more current 92.6 mA vs 75 mA from Q1 so the A3 should be more powerful.   So I guess the best approach is to listen to both with your DAP and headphones and if you find you don't need the extra power from the A3 then the Q1 might be a better choice.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #191 of 903
My review is done.  I manage to find some time last night and this morning to put all of my notes and thoughts together.  Hope you enjoy.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-q1-portable-headphone-amp-dac/reviews/14279

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #192 of 903
Hi Guys,

Could someone advise how Q1 pairs up with ATH-IM02s? 
I'm currently using my Oneplus One to drive them and since they are quite sensitive, they are giving out a bit of hiss.
I was initially planning to go with the E07k until I saw this today and what has interested me in this is how low the output impedance is.

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #194 of 903
dont know about the im02 but i am using the Q1 with im70 and is a good match although i prefer it on high gain,good news for oneplus one users is the Q1 will play natively in Dac mode.

Thanks for your answer but I'm looking for someone who has paired IM02 with the Q1. IM02 is a different beast altogether due to its sensitivity and pickiness of its source.

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #195 of 903

Thanks for your answer but I'm looking for someone who has paired IM02 with the Q1. IM02 is a different beast altogether due to its sensitivity and pickiness of its source.

The IM02 has an impedance of 36 ohms, and the Q1 has an output impedance of <0.3 ohms; I'd say you're very safe in terms of sensitivity/hiss, though I don't have the IM02.

Would also like to say, just bought the Q1, a stacking kit for my X1, and a Pelican case to hold it all; should be here by the end of the month, very excited to hear it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back