FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
May 1, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #4,411 of 6,207
Ok firstly I'm no expert on technicality and secondly I don't want to open a can of worms, I don't volume match and I surely didn't when I owned the k5 which i sent back because of the same reasons the above guy had mentioned as in I felt it lacked the detail that the amp modules were providing.
Also reviews on other sites i have felt hinted at this headphonia and headphonics end conclusions.
I Love headfi and i know these are sponsored threads and forums but please let us have some degree of opinion if we feel something is not to our liking.
And give the guy a break .

Oh and me too for drawing the same conclusion.
But I do love the x7ii ! Good will to all.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #4,412 of 6,207
let's get back to how fantastic the x7ii is! , I have owned x3, x5 gen2 e12a amp and x7 but the x7ii is leaps and bounds the best dap they have made they knocked it out of the park with this one.

I Will say once again awesome job fiio.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #4,414 of 6,207
Interesting, is it at least as detailed as the AM3A? I have the AM05 and love it. The AM05 ets me play a larger variety of headphones.

I'd say it is more or less at the same level of detail, but with a thicker sound. The main highlight is its 4.4mm balanced socket, but I don't know if I'd go for it if if I already had AM05 and AM03A, unless really looking for a thick and warmer sound.

AM03B will work really really well with more neutral or analytic IEMs, like Dita Truth, UM Martians, Ultrasone Signature Studio. Should make things more interesting for those.

May 1, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #4,415 of 6,207
FiiO X7mkii and Beyerdynamic Amiron :)

Hard to place in words how well this combination works :)

Audiophile-Heaven-Beyerdynamic-Amiron-Home-Review-Official-Photo-53.jpg

Audiophile-Heaven-Beyerdynamic-Amiron-Home-Review-Official-Photo-59.jpg

May 1, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #4,418 of 6,207
Which Amp module

AM05, it is in the review content in the pairing area :)

Aren't they hard to drive at 250 Ohm?

They are darn hard to drive, really hard to get loud, only a few portables can make them loud enough for my tastes, and FiiO X7mkii is one of them!

They actually work with AM03A as well, but you need to push it almost to 120 level if adding some EQ, so I recommend AM05 for almost all users

May 1, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #4,419 of 6,207
for those spotify users, are you able to save the downloaded offline files into the micro sd card or in its 64gb internal memory?

May 1, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #4,420 of 6,207
Aren't they hard to drive at 250 Ohm?

The resistance of a headphone is half the equation. One needs to also look at the sensitivity.

The Amiron is rated at 250 Ohm impedance, and a sensitivity of 102dB /1mW (500Hz). It’s actually interesting that Beyerdynamic lists the sensitivity at 500Hz instead of the typical 1kHz.

May 2, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #4,421 of 6,207
The resistance of a headphone is half the equation. One needs to also look at the sensitivity.

The Amiron is rated at 250 Ohm impedance, and a sensitivity of 102dB /1mW (500Hz). It’s actually interesting that Beyerdynamic lists the sensitivity at 500Hz instead of the typical 1kHz.

Good point, they aren't quite that sensitive at 102dB and the 250OHM adds to the hard to drive thingy

At any rate, I wouldn't pair those with anything that doesn't have tons of power, like say, FiiO K5, FiiO A5, FiiO X7mkii+AM05, FiiO Q5+AM05, something like Burson Play, DX200/DX150 + AMP 5, iFi iDSD BL Micro

May 2, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #4,422 of 6,207
Good point, they aren't quite that sensitive at 102dB and the 250OHM adds to the hard to drive thingy

At any rate, I wouldn't pair those with anything that doesn't have tons of power, like say, FiiO K5, FiiO A5, FiiO X7mkii+AM05, FiiO Q5+AM05, something like Burson Play, DX200/DX150 + AMP 5, iFi iDSD BL Micro

Actually, 102dB/mW is pretty sensitive (especially for 500Hz), and the 250 Ohms means that it will sip the Current, unlike low resistance IEMs.

It all depends on listening levels. Here’s the numbers for the power required for peaks on the Amiron.

http://www.digizoid.com/power.php

A3CAB30B-D10A-48A0-B25B-347088333307.jpeg

I don’t want to get in to a back and forth with you again regarding power required. I’m just offering the math and the above is what will be fed in to the headphone regardless of the max power output spec of an amp. Nothing more and nothing less to reach these peak levels. For fairly loud listening peaks (110dB) the X7, X5iii, A5, etc., will drive it pretty well. The K5, which outputs 150mW @ 300 Ohm has more than enough power for 120dB peaks. Remember, sound signature and quality does not equal high power output every time.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #4,423 of 6,207
Hi! Thank you for your reply!

1. I have no idea how to do that: when the X7ii is set to DAC mode, only the settings menu is available and the EQ is not selectable from there. Is it possible to change the EQ in DAC mode?
2. DLNA: I tried that already and retried today, but I'm using a NAS (not my PC) and I couldn't play a single song. The NAS appears in the servers list in Fiio Music, but when I select a track the X7ii just skips right away to the next, and the next, and the next, until the end of the folder, without any music coming out. I found somebody else describing this issue on Fiio forum, but there was no solution.
3. Correct, initially the problem was there from the beginning of the song. I selected "performance" and the issue was no longer there. After switching back to "balanced", audio was not distorted, it sounded similar to "performance" mode. The same happened for the EQ: with performance mode there was no distortion after returning to balanced.

I haven't tried the factory reset as after switching to performance mode the X7ii sounds great. I actually enjoyed listening to music with it for the whole weekend and I'm happy with the sound quality.
Battery life is a little on the short side

The three issues that, in my opinion, are left are the following:
- DLNA not working when the songs are stored on a NAS.
- The side buttons (previous/next track) don't always work. They don't work with the 3rd party apps I tried (ie Deezer, that I use for music streaming) and they also stopped working when switching to another app (ie settings) and letting the screen turn off. I had to close Fiio Music to make the 2 buttons work again. I will do some more tests when I have the time to figure out what might cause this behavior. It happened a few times on Saturday.
- The EQ. I tried the one in Viper and it works perfectly. The EQ in Fiio Music instead has a behavior that I don't understand. With the values left in the middle (flat), the activation of the EQ reduces the volume slightly. I don't think this should happen with the default values, as the gain of each band should be increased by 0 dB => no change. I also had trouble when changing the controls of the EQ to find the best settings for the IEMs I'm currently using, I cannot figure out why (I will look more into it and try to describe) but I can't seem to find appropriate settings, while in Viper I was able to quickly set up the EQ and it was quite easy to do.
Dear friend,

We will still try to do more test about the issue you mentioned.

Q: Why does the volume decrease when EQ is enabled?

A: The equalizer is implemented in the digital processing stage, and includes a filter stage and a digital gain stage. Volume is controlled after digital-analog conversion. The equalizer filter can effect a maximum increase of 6dB in a frequency band; if this is done without lowering the digital gain, it could cause the digital signal to clip at 0dBFS and cause audible distortion. Lowering the analog volume afterwards has no effect on the distortion. Thus to preserve signal integrity, a digital gain of -6dB is added when equalizer settings are enabled to avoid clipping. This does not affect audio quality except in so far as you need to turn up the volume afterwards.

Q: Why the physical buttons of X7MKII could not function perfectly on some third-party APPs?
A: The button of X5III(X7) is strictly based on Android definition. However, third-party APP would make its own definition while using system buttons. So the button definition of system itself and third-party APP might be conflicted. We couldn't change the button definition of third party APP. Therefore, the play/pause or previous/next track button might not able to work perfectly when using third-party APP (These APPs might work fine on cellphones cause most of the cellphones only have volume button for adjustment and no next/previous track button).

Sorry if bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 4, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #4,425 of 6,207
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back