FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Apr 29, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #4,381 of 6,207
As far as I'm aware, the K5 does not posess a dac. You'd be utilizing the dac on the X7 and bypassing the AM3A amp for the K5. It's a slightly elegant solution for those who need that extra power.

This is exactly how it is, you're practically replacing the AM03A with K5 as AMP modules.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #4,382 of 6,207
As I said before the am3a am1 modules sound better in every aspect, excluding lack of power.

One final question - if you'll indulge me please.

How (exactly) did you volume match when you were comparing? Did you use a calibrated meter? What was the listening level?

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #4,383 of 6,207
One final question - if you'll indulge me please.

How (exactly) did you volume match when you were comparing? Did you use a calibrated meter? What was the listening level?
Dude are you serious or what, how can you volume matching. If I would volume match the k5 to am1 or am3a it would sound like garbage. it can not produce anything that sounds as good as am1or am3a on any volume level, it lacks the details. K5 is always louder i can not get it is low and have it even remotely good sounding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #4,384 of 6,207
Dude are you serious or what, how can you volume matching. If I would volume match the k5 to am1 or am3a it would sound like garbage. it can not produce anything that sounds as good as am1or am3a on any volume level, it lacks the details. K5 is always louder i can not get it is low and have it even remotely good sounding.

Thanks - effectively tells me all I need to know.

You didn’t volume match - human nature is that louder sounds better, so without volume matching I (and others) can dismiss your claims as purely anecdotal

I always volume match when making comparisons. It enhances the validity of any comparisons I do.

If you like the AM3A, FiiO have a 4.4mm balanced module coming out which they’ve managed to crank more power out of. You may find it useful. AM3B.

Enjoy your X7ii

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #4,385 of 6,207

You didn’t volume match - human nature is that louder sounds better, so without volume matching I (and others) can dismiss your claims as purely anecdotal

I always volume match when making comparisons. It enhances the validity of any comparisons I do.

If you like the AM3A, FiiO have a 4.4mm balanced module coming out which they’ve managed to crank more power out of. You may find it useful. AM3B.

Enjoy your X7ii

How do you match (i.e. what do you use)? I'd like to dabble with that a bit, if the tech isn't too expensive.

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #4,386 of 6,207
Not expensive at all really. A decent sound level meter is only $30-40 and for me its well worth the small outlay. You can see a photo of what I use here:

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #4,387 of 6,207

Enjoy your X7ii
Kids these days!!

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #4,388 of 6,207
Dear friend,
1. You could adjust the EQ while the X7MKII working as the DAC? Or turning on the EQ from the X7MKII would make hiss when working as DAC?
2. X7 DLNA usage guide: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5l5m6zstzx112l/X7 DLNA usage guide.pdf?dl=0, If this still fails to help, you may try foobar or other third party APP for help.
3. Still fails to understand the problem well as we fail to reproduce it now. When it was switched to balanced mode the first time, you would receive the ringing when playing the 96kHz? From the first few seconds?
You have try the factory restore as well, right? Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards
Hi! Thank you for your reply!

1. I have no idea how to do that: when the X7ii is set to DAC mode, only the settings menu is available and the EQ is not selectable from there. Is it possible to change the EQ in DAC mode?
2. DLNA: I tried that already and retried today, but I'm using a NAS (not my PC) and I couldn't play a single song. The NAS appears in the servers list in Fiio Music, but when I select a track the X7ii just skips right away to the next, and the next, and the next, until the end of the folder, without any music coming out. I found somebody else describing this issue on Fiio forum, but there was no solution.
3. Correct, initially the problem was there from the beginning of the song. I selected "performance" and the issue was no longer there. After switching back to "balanced", audio was not distorted, it sounded similar to "performance" mode. The same happened for the EQ: with performance mode there was no distortion after returning to balanced.

I haven't tried the factory reset as after switching to performance mode the X7ii sounds great. I actually enjoyed listening to music with it for the whole weekend and I'm happy with the sound quality.
Battery life is a little on the short side

The three issues that, in my opinion, are left are the following:
- DLNA not working when the songs are stored on a NAS.
- The side buttons (previous/next track) don't always work. They don't work with the 3rd party apps I tried (ie Deezer, that I use for music streaming) and they also stopped working when switching to another app (ie settings) and letting the screen turn off. I had to close Fiio Music to make the 2 buttons work again. I will do some more tests when I have the time to figure out what might cause this behavior. It happened a few times on Saturday.
- The EQ. I tried the one in Viper and it works perfectly. The EQ in Fiio Music instead has a behavior that I don't understand. With the values left in the middle (flat), the activation of the EQ reduces the volume slightly. I don't think this should happen with the default values, as the gain of each band should be increased by 0 dB => no change. I also had trouble when changing the controls of the EQ to find the best settings for the IEMs I'm currently using, I cannot figure out why (I will look more into it and try to describe) but I can't seem to find appropriate settings, while in Viper I was able to quickly set up the EQ and it was quite easy to do.

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #4,389 of 6,207

Better try AMP5, should have enough power for most usage case scenarios even while going portable, whilst not having any loss in quality over AM03A or AM01, even sounding better, with more depth and impact.

Enjoy your X7ii

Oh yes, AM03B is pretty interesting if one likes the 4.4mm plugs and balanced outputs.

---

I haven't really heard K5 to argue about it or what it does or how it sounds, but in my very short test of it, it was pretty clear and didn't have any glaring issues. Maybe @lantian has a broken K5 unit? I wouldn't rule this out, getting it exchanged to rule out this possibility might be a good idea

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,395 of 6,207
Just ordered the AM3B for my X7 MKII. I like that it has extra power on the SE input. I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back