FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Feb 17, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #3,946 of 6,207
High gain mode is for high impedence (i.e. usually full-size) headphones.

Always go with the lowest gain option that works for your IEMs. Higher gain introduces more background hiss.
I have managed to have a few hours of critical listening now (on low gain), and I must say that the X7ii is a big step up in sound quality over my Cowon J3. I don't even feel that I need to mess with the equaliser either! Now I just need to choose some balanced cales for my SE535 but i'm impressed already.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #3,948 of 6,207
Yes - but FiiO doesn't guarantee it will work with any particular sources. It does work with the FiiO Q1ii and also the Q5. It wouldn't work with my IMS HVA or the FiiO E17K. So a bit hit or miss - which is probably why FiO doesn't advertise it as a feature.

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #3,949 of 6,207
Well I can say it doesn’t work with the ifi nano dsd black label. Do that means of the 5 daps I have none of them work correctly with it. I either get pops or just doesn’t work. Oh well guess I’m send that back.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #3,951 of 6,207
Well I can say it doesn’t work with the ifi nano dsd black label. Do that means of the 5 daps I have none of them work correctly with it. I either get pops or just doesn’t work. Oh well guess I’m send that back.

So use coax instead of USB?

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #3,954 of 6,207
Shouldn't it be both? (e.g. MUC-M12SB1 and also there are bundled headphones with 4.4 cables)

Really no large domestic manufacturers in China are utilizing 4.4 plugs, so Fiio is very wise to do it before other players catches on. In March, Fiio will release 4.4 balanced upgrade cables for their own IEMs as well.

Going on a tangent, I can speak from first hand experience that Sony players are extremely popular in China and upgrade cable market / philosophy is much more widely accepted. For example, I have gotten yelled at here on Head-Fi when I posted about upgrade cables because they think it's all BS, whereas in China I would get a lot of replies for discussions regarding the different cables and sounds. Because of the wide acceptance, there are many DIY cable makers on Taobao that will custom make 4.4 cables for a fraction of the price versus the US (where I am now), so there are lots of cables with 4.4 plugs out there floating around.
Ibasso DX200 already has released a 4.4 plug AMP4.

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #3,955 of 6,207
Hello everyone,

Did anybody tried to root their X7ii?

Also did anybody managed to download Tidal's offline content to an SD card instead of the internal storage?

Thank you and have a great day!

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #3,956 of 6,207
I've had the X7mk2 for a couple of weeks now. I use it mostly as a usb source for my car (the new high-zoot sony GS9).
I have a couple of issues:
1) the unit takes forever to turn on. My old X5? click and it's on. This? wait... and wait... and then welcome screen... and then fiio screen... and then start up fiio music.
2) there's no "click" or other indication for the user to know if the on button has been properly depressed long enough for the damn thing to start the "turn on" process. Nothing more fun than pressing a button for it to do not so much!
these are my Large Issues.
3) there's a whole lot of treble. I just now located the viper eq, so maybe that will fix it. i don't know.

I've got a Large Collection of wav files. And the music sounds heavenly both with IEMs and in the car. But, that start up process is maddening! Is there a firmware update for that?

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #3,958 of 6,207
Hello everyone,

Did anybody tried to root their X7ii?

I did. It is really simple when using Kingroot, but it comes with some bloatware, so I replaced it with SuperSU using Super-Sume-Pro. You probably can do this for free via Mobile Terminal, but I already owned the app and couldn't be bothered finding workarounds to circumvent Kingroot's annoying self-protection mechanism.

Not too many benefits atm, though.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #3,960 of 6,207
I did. It is really simple when using Kingroot, but it comes with some bloatware, so I replaced it with SuperSU using Super-Sume-Pro. You probably can do this for free via Mobile Terminal, but I already owned the app and couldn't be bothered finding workarounds to circumvent Kingroot's annoying self-protection mechanism.

Not too many benefits atm, though.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back