FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #3,646 of 6,207
Hi all,

Just received my X7 Mark II. I figured out how to set the time and date, then I upgraded the firmware first thing. How do I set this thing up? I still need to wait a couple days for my SD card to arrive. Is there any settings I need to adjust before I use it?

I'm at work on night shift, so I have no time at home to load music anyway. I can use either my V-moda Zn IEM's, AKG K7XX, or ATH-M50's. Which would you recommend most for metal? And is there anything I can stream to see how this sounds? I don't have Spotify or Tidal. I do have Bandcamp though.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #3,647 of 6,207
I've managed to sort out the delay problem with 400gb cards.

You need to format the card in the X7ii. Even though it still says exFat32, just like when formatted on my laptop, the delay is now the same as the 256gb cards.

To format a card in the X7ii, in FiiO Music, go to "Local Music" to display your cards and slide the one you want to format to the left. You will then get what is shown below. Just tap the red (Looks Yellow in the picture) icon and it does a quick format that has done the trick for me, with both 256gb and 400gb cards now accessible at the same virtually instantaneous speed.

Hi Darren, Could you elaborate further how to format the card. Do I format the card without my music or with my collection of music. All my music in my PC are currently in WMA.

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #3,650 of 6,207
The AMP5 is the most powerful. You stack with the full sized A5. I've heard some people say it it is a good combination and only adds power, but others say it does take away from the sound quality and the X5iii is about the limit for the A5.

I'd love to hear from someone who has tried it.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #3,651 of 6,207
Are you guys using any high impedence headphones with x7ii .. I used Sennheiser HD 660s and with high gain have to push volume all the way up

Which amp module will be good ?

I use the X7ii with my Beyer Amiron 250 ohm. I listen at about 75-80 /120, with the default amp module. As said above the amp5 module is more powerful. I don't know how hard the HD 660s is to drive but for my ears the X7ii has more than enough power for my Beyer headphones. If I go past 80/120 it gets way to loud for me, maybe we listen at different volumes :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #3,653 of 6,207
Can the X7 Mark II be used as a transport?

I have an ifi nano DAC/amp and would like to be able to use its DAC and just using the X7 as transport. If it’s possible, can this be done both for the stock player app AND for streaming apps such as Spotify and Tidal?

It is possible, but if you are going to use the DAP merely as a transport, then there are much better suited options than the X7MkII.

Jan 14, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #3,655 of 6,207
Hi all,

Just received my X7 Mark II. I figured out how to set the time and date, then I upgraded the firmware first thing. How do I set this thing up? I still need to wait a couple days for my SD card to arrive. Is there any settings I need to adjust before I use it?

I'm at work on night shift, so I have no time at home to load music anyway. I can use either my V-moda Zn IEM's, AKG K7XX, or ATH-M50's. Which would you recommend most for metal? And is there anything I can stream to see how this sounds? I don't have Spotify or Tidal. I do have Bandcamp though.

Bandcamp shoould work just fine

Remember to scan the library when you insert the mSD card with music

Also, transfer the music using an SD adapter for best speeds.

Anyone here use Hiby Music? Ant thoughts against FiiO's own music app?

Hiby music is excellent on Hiby based DAPs

No issue with FiiO's music app, it is one of the best there are.

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #3,656 of 6,207
Anyone here use Hiby Music? Ant thoughts against FiiO's own music app?

Hiby Music doesn't circumvent Android SRC when using an internal DAC, i.e. all music played through it is downsampled to 44.1 or 48 kHz (not exactly sure which one it is on the X7MkII).

FiiO's stock app plays everything it is supposed to play and sounds pretty good, but it isn't very convenient to use. Ridiculous sorting issues (check their official forum at fiio.me if you want to read more about it) that have been known for years now, no support for certain standard tags like album artist, problems with certain special characters (like ones from European languages being displayed as completely unrelated Chinese characters), no ability to rearrange the order of songs in playlists created within the app itself and so on.

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #3,658 of 6,207
Are you guys using any high impedence headphones with x7ii .. I used Sennheiser HD 660s and with high gain have to push volume all the way up

Which amp module will be good ?

Hey Saj, have you considered picking up 2.5mm balanced cables for the HD660s?

The reason i ask is because the stock AM3A amp would give you a lot more power when going balanced. Fiio website does not specify wattage at 150ohms (maybe one of the gurus here can help) but here's what they look like at 32ohms: 150mW when using 3.5mm single vs. 400mW when going 2.5mm balanced. things get more interesting at 300ohms where 3.5mm singe gets a measly 17mW vs. 63mW via 2.5mm balanced. In comparison, AM5 module is 500mW at 32ohms and 55mW at 300ohms.

Out of sheer curiosity, i ended up picking up balanced cables for my HD6xx's which is twice the impedance of the HD660's (300ohms vs. 150ohms) and i can say there was enough power to get them loud (to me) without maxing out the volume. With that said, there's a definite lack of quality which was not a surprise. The X7 ii docked with the K5 desktop amp definitely produces significantly fuller sounds when compared at similar volumes. Based on this experience, i assumed the x7 would be a good pairing with the HD660s- power wise. I kept the cables for a possible future HD660's upgrade.

I have not personally tested the X7 with the HD660's myself but know that many of the folks here pair with 150ohm cans and would be surprised if the X7 couldn't push them adequately. It may be worth checking system/EQ setting to make sure nothing is amiss that you are not aware of.

I know there's a lot more to mW vs. ohms when considering voltage etc. and i'm sure some of the experts here can shed more light on the subject if i'm leading you down the wrong path.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3,659 of 6,207
Hey Saj, have you considered picking up 2.5mm balanced cables for the HD660s?

The reason i ask is because the stock AM3A amp would give you a lot more power when going balanced. Fiio website does not specify wattage at 150ohms (maybe one of the gurus here can help) but here's what they look like at 32ohms: 150mW when using 3.5mm single vs. 400mW when going 2.5mm balanced. things get more interesting at 300ohms where 3.5mm singe gets a measly 17mW vs. 63mW via 2.5mm balanced. In comparison, AM5 module is 500mW at 32ohms and 55mW at 300ohms.

Out of sheer curiosity, i ended up picking up balanced cables for my HD6xx's which is twice the impedance of the HD660's (300ohms vs. 150ohms) and i can say there was enough power to get them loud (to me) without maxing out the volume. With that said, there's a definite lack of quality which was not a surprise. The X7 ii docked with the K5 desktop amp definitely produces significantly fuller sounds when compared at similar volumes. Based on this experience, i assumed the x7 would be a good pairing with the HD660s- power wise. I kept the cables for a possible future HD660's upgrade.

I have not personally tested the X7 with the HD660's myself but know that many of the folks here pair with 150ohm cans and would be surprised if the X7 couldn't push them adequately. It may be worth checking system/EQ setting to make sure nothing is amiss that you are not aware of.

I know there's a lot more to mW vs. ohms when considering voltage etc. and i'm sure some of the experts here can shed more light on the subject if i'm leading you down the wrong path.
I am actually using HD 660s with Lg V30 now which detects it as high impedance headphone connected and to my surprise it sound amazing compared to fiio x7ii...v30 dac and amp inside a phone is very powerful and also has all the dynamics for me it dont loose anything

btw HD 660s is a masterpiece to own, so light on head and sound is just superb for almost all genres

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #3,660 of 6,207
Bandcamp shoould work just fine

Remember to scan the library when you insert the mSD card with music

Also, transfer the music using an SD adapter for best speeds.

Great! Which leads me to ask, how do I get music on the card when I get it? My computer doesn't have a card reader.

And as for the X7 Mark II so far, I'm not impressed. Hopefully it sounds better when I get actual music files on it. I downloaded the Bandcamp app and logged into my account. The music sounds ok, but really flat or neutral. I don't know if it's Bandcamp, streaming, my AKG K7XX headphones, or a combination of all 3. I switched the X7 to High gain and still turn it up to 110/120 and bass is severely lacking. I can hear it, but I can't feel it like I normally do. Far too recessed for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back