FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jan 14, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #3,661 of 6,207
Great! Which leads me to ask, how do I get music on the card when I get it? My computer doesn't have a card reader.

And as for the X7 Mark II so far, I'm not impressed. Hopefully it sounds better when I get actual music files on it. I downloaded the Bandcamp app and logged into my account. The music sounds ok, but really flat or neutral. I don't know if it's Bandcamp, streaming, my AKG K7XX headphones, or a combination of all 3. I switched the X7 to High gain and still turn it up to 110/120 and bass is severely lacking. I can hear it, but I can't feel it like I normally do. Far too recessed for my liking.

You can use X7mkii to transfer the music files, it might not be as fast as it is using an SD card, but it won't be an issue if you have good patience.

K7XX is a bass light headphone by itself, you can use some EQ to improve that, or try to search for a more impactful / dynamic headphone like HD650 or Meze 99C or Ultrasone Signature DXP

Bandcamp is not the best source, Spotify or Tidal should have better sonic quality than bandcamp

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #3,662 of 6,207
Bandcamp is not the best source, Spotify or Tidal should have better sonic quality than bandcamp

What??

A lot of the artists who are on Bandcamp may not necessarily be found anywhere else, and most artists have their music available in multiple formats including FLAC, many even have 24/96 recordings. If its the same master recording - why would it be any different between Bandcamp and Spotify or Tidal (that is if its available on those streaming sites).

Yes Bandcamp stream at 128 kbps - but you've bought the album, so download the actual file to your DAP in lossless quality - then you are getting the best there is.

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #3,663 of 6,207
New download! Great!!!!!!
20180114_200117.jpg

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #3,664 of 6,207
I use the X7ii with my Beyer Amiron 250 ohm. I listen at about 75-80 /120, with the default amp module. As said above the amp5 module is more powerful. I don't know how hard the HD 660s is to drive but for my ears the X7ii has more than enough power for my Beyer headphones. If I go past 80/120 it gets way to loud for me, maybe we listen at different volumes :)
The AM3A should have enough power to drive most headphones to satisfying dB, but having enough power to drive them properly is something else. For example my Elear: the am3a drives it loud enough at like 80 on high-gain, but it still lacks some drive and dynamics compared to something like the Hugo or a Jotunheim

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #3,665 of 6,207
Great! Which leads me to ask, how do I get music on the card when I get it? My computer doesn't have a card reader.

And as for the X7 Mark II so far, I'm not impressed. Hopefully it sounds better when I get actual music files on it. I downloaded the Bandcamp app and logged into my account. The music sounds ok, but really flat or neutral. I don't know if it's Bandcamp, streaming, my AKG K7XX headphones, or a combination of all 3. I switched the X7 to High gain and still turn it up to 110/120 and bass is severely lacking. I can hear it, but I can't feel it like I normally do. Far too recessed for my liking.
The X7ii has a netral sound signature, maybe a little lean, in my experience. The K7XX isn’t exactly known as bass monster afaik.
My guess is that the other amps you’ve used the k7xx with has been more warm or dark. The X7ii sounds remarkably good to my ears at least, but I think the pairing with k7xx just doesn’t fit your preferences

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #3,666 of 6,207
It is possible, but if you are going to use the DAP merely as a transport, then there are much better suited options than the X7MkII.
Thanks. To clarify, I don't intend to get one just to use as a transport. I am looking for a DAP though that has that capability in case I want to use my other DAC/Amps. :D

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #3,667 of 6,207
The X7ii has a netral sound signature, maybe a little lean, in my experience. The K7XX isn’t exactly known as bass monster afaik.
My guess is that the other amps you’ve used the k7xx with has been more warm or dark. The X7ii sounds remarkably good to my ears at least, but I think the pairing with k7xx just doesn’t fit your preferences
I agree, but I'll leave judgement until I can get some FLAC files loaded. I will mostly be using my IEM's anyway. I just have the K7XX with me at work. They are great for watching Netflix and Youtube.

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #3,668 of 6,207
@FiiO

Any progress on a future fix for the "Storage unexpectedly removed" occurring on the X7 mark ii ?
It is still happening daily and its quite annoying :frowning2:
(btw I am running the latest 1.0.4 firmware)

And after that I have to select the music I want to listen again because the playlist is like null or empty.

IMG_20170929_133706.jpg IMG_20170929_133716.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #3,670 of 6,207
Prototype of AM3B with 4.4 Balanced plug. Power is still the same as AM3A, just different connectors.

Nice, nice!

Please let us know more about it!

Re:Bandcamp, It is a poor streaming site, since it is not made to stream lossless files.

I buy a lot of of music from bandcamp, but I am 99.9% sure that not a single soul will buy an album from bandcamp using X7mkii, so using bandcamp with X7mkii is a poor combination :anguished:

I buy an album to my PC from bandcamp, tag it, then I transfer it on my mSD cards, in that sense it is a nice site. Quite a few albums that you cannot even buy from other places there :yum:

You can check out one of my favorite artists :

https://kenashcorp.bandcamp.com/

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #3,671 of 6,207
Re:Bandcamp, It is a poor streaming site, since it is not made to stream lossless files.
I buy a lot of of music from bandcamp, but I am 99.9% sure that not a single soul will buy an album from bandcamp using X7mkii, so using bandcamp with X7mkii is a poor combination :anguished:
I buy an album to my PC from bandcamp, tag it, then I transfer it on my mSD cards, in that sense it is a nice site. Quite a few albums that you cannot even buy from other places there :yum:

Its not a dedicated site for streaming - never has been. Its a site where customers can buy music for download direct from the artists. It offers a service whereby you can stream the music you've bought at MP3 vb0 if you want to.

What you said:

I've since found out more. For purchased tracks, through the app, they actually stream as MP3 V0, basically as good what you get from both Tidal and Spotify in their basic subscription packages (in fact its actually better than Spotify's). its only the tracks on the web pages which are 128 kbps - not the stuff you buy)

What format/quality are the streams on Bandcamp?
They’re MP3-128s. However, if you’re in the app and on wifi, items you’ve purchased stream as MP3-V0s (~250kbit/s on average).

Spotify and Tidal do not necessarily have better sonic quality source material than Bandcamp. I understand what you're trying to say George - but maybe this would be a better qualification in future:

Bandcamp may not be the best source if solely used for streaming and you are prepared to pay for the highest quality streaming from Spotify or Tidal => it depends on the plan you choose:
Bandcamp standard webpage is 128 kbps
Bandcamp streaming through their app is MP3 VB0 (basically optimised 320 kbps)
Spotify standard is 160 kbps
Spotify premium is 320 kbps
Tidal Premium is 320 kbps
Tidal Hifi is up to 1411 kbps

Personally - the tracks through the app are basically indistinguishable from full lossless as long as your connection is good.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #3,672 of 6,207
Hi folks,

I got my 256Gb SD card and figured out how to install it. How do I copy music to it? Where exactly do I copy the music folders?

I have the X7ii plugged into my PC via the USB. However, I'm seeing double in File Explorer.

JVtIHL0.jpg

JVtIHL0

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #3,673 of 6,207
Hi folks,

I got my 256Gb SD card and figured out how to install it. How do I copy music to it? Where exactly do I copy the music folders?

I have the X7ii plugged into my PC via the USB. However, I'm seeing double in File Explorer.

JVtIHL0.jpg

JVtIHL0
X7 labelled volume is the internal storage. One of the other drives is probably your microsd card. I use the program DSynchronize to sync music folders to the drives. You can put the files anywhere on the drives, really.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #3,674 of 6,207
Prototype of AM3B with 4.4 Balanced plug. Power is still the same as AM3A, just different connectors.

Looks awesome! The only thing I’d like to see now is the AM5 with a balanced output :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back