FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,926 of 6,207
What is the status on using the X7ii as a dac with my computer (USB to X7ii or via K5 usb in)? After spending days downloading spotify to offline use I don't want to have to reset the device and worried about the DAC issues i have read...

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,927 of 6,207
What is the status on using the X7ii as a dac with my computer (USB to X7ii or via K5 usb in)? After spending days downloading spotify to offline use I don't want to have to reset the device and worried about the DAC issues i have read...
I've had no problems. You need to install the USB DAC driver from the Fiio site, and select USB Dac instead of Storage in the pulldown settings, plug in via USB cable and then you are good to go.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,929 of 6,207
I just got my X7ii. Really nice device. Just a quick question regarding the sound signature. Does the amp makes it smooth? Or is it tuned from the dac?

Made some comparison with my kann which have better texture

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #2,930 of 6,207
Nov 21, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #2,931 of 6,207
How about an amp like the Astell & Kern version for the AK3XX series of Daps. A more elegant solution than stacking with glorified rubber bands.

astell-kern-ak380-amp-12_600x_crop_center.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,932 of 6,207
Interesting. I just did a side by side comparison of the Balanced out from the X7ii with a 200usd pair of Iems, the LZ A4's with the Chord Mojo feeding a pair of Beyerdynamic T1's and the LZ A4's are better. That's an incredible feat.

Does this means that Chord Mojo is better than x7ii for ur pairings? :D

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #2,933 of 6,207
Try X7mkii if you can - it is considerably better as a user experience to have 1 device with multiple AMP modules than bundling Mojo with X5-3.

Have u tried with other amp modules? If yes, How much does it cost?

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,934 of 6,207
Have u tried with other amp modules? If yes, How much does it cost?
I said this in my several past posts. X7mk2 really shines with AM5 module (US$99) if you want to use full size cans.

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,935 of 6,207
Option 1: upgrade x5 iii to x7 ii

+Good idea if an upgrade is a must.
You get changeable amps of which they have 4 already (?)

- Sonic improvements grossly overstated

Orion 2: pair up x5 iii with chord mojo/ other dac

+ if you ever consider using your phone as the source when traveling, (unhooked from X5ii)
turning it into a device that rivals most/all DAP's and has lots of power with an interface you are familiar with...the X5iii
Also Mojo works out as a USB DAC pretty easy and well iirc?

- You make the internal DAC and AMP redundant when using the Mojo. The X5iii becomes a storage device with nav screen.

+ The Mojo lets you sell a DAP and in the between time your mojo can still turn your phone or PC into a badass audio device

Summary :wink:
If you use your phone at all or plan to... wait a month to see if the Q5 is good. It's sounds like it might be really good. If not Mojo isn't going anywhere, it will be cheaper then too
If you really never use the phone with an amp or anything strapped to it then get the X7II

Thank you so much! One more question, what do u think about the sound quality of x7ii and chord mojo ?

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,936 of 6,207
I said this in my several past posts. X7mk2 really shines with AM5 module (US$99) if you want to use full size cans.

Okok. From alixpress? Thank you Giraku!

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2,937 of 6,207
Wow. I just got a set of balanced cables for the LZ A4's from Penon, and fired them up with the balanced out from the X7ii. It's transformed the beast. So much more dynamism detail and separation. It's just wow!

It's the of the "it's so good, I'm going through my collection to re-listen old albums" variety of good.

When I first listened it was like, where's the bass gone and this is bright, but actually its just more definition allround so it sounds less bassy and brighter on first listen.

No brainer, the best £12.50 upgrade ever. I want to buy another set of LZ A4's with balanced cables immediately to protect myself from any misshaps to my set.

It's that good.

Hmmm... understand your entusiasm. Are you using the same volume?
Don´t forget the 2.5mm TRRS balanced out of AM3A outputs almost 2 x the power of the single ended (into the 16 Ohms of your Penon)...

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,938 of 6,207
Hmmm... understand your entusiasm. Are you using the same volume?
Don´t forget the 2.5mm TRRS balanced out of AM3A outputs almost 2 x the power of the single ended (into the 16 Ohms of your Penon)...

Yes I am aware of the extra power. No it's not a question of power, it's a question of clarity, definition, dynamics. Air around instruments.

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,939 of 6,207
Okok. From alixpress? Thank you Giraku!

Amazon UK had it (FiiO store), I'm getting mine tomorrow.

Ps: Btw, there are many posts in the original X7 thread about the quality of AM5 for big cans... I'm also following his advice since he tested it with X7 Mk2 ... you'd better be right @Giraku ! :deadhorse:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back