FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #1,006 of 6,207
We have different sound preference. Had the Mojo for a while and didn't find it that good that you described. Sound is fine but the slight improvement or sound quality change due to preference over my iPhone without it does not justify having a interconnect cable and extra bulk.

Don't think the mojo has better details or clarity as well. I won't choose a Mojo over X5iii or X7II if sound quality is overall factor, as it is not better to my ears. It is just improving my iPhone in terms of enabling to play higher resolution files and better driving power. UI interface of iPhone with the Mojo to help with high resolution files are great combination with sacrifices of mobility and extra connection and interconnect, as compared to older DAP in the past. It is a different world now with all the new DAP with much better quality and sound improvements and much improved details.

Again, this is individual sound preference and my own experience and sound preference, Mojo does improve on iPhone SQ overall but not exactly better than the current top DAP, and there are many players with better sound quality than Mojo to my ears, not just X7II.

These are just my initial impressions. I'm not sure the X7 MKII should be compared to the Mojo or iDSD BL because to me they are in different categories. The Mojo and the Micro iDSD BL are dedicated amps/DACs. They both have more driving power and are two of the most well regarded portable amps/dacs you can buy at the moment for under $1000. The Mojo and the iDSD BL can drive full size headphones and IEM's with authority and sound good doing it. I'm not sure the X7 MKII can drive full sized headphones like the other two can nor do I think that this was FiiO's design intent with the X7 MKII. The AM3A does have more power output in balanced mode and the AM5 has even more power yet. But neither of those modules can match the output power of the Mojo or iDSD BL.

Comparing them, the Mojo and the iDSD extract more detail and nuances from the music than X7 MKII. But they are designed to be feed by a source while the X7 MKII is the the source in this case and is meant to be an all in one. The Mojo is a detail and clarity monster with very, very good bass. Music comes to life when I plug in the B&W P9's into the Mojo. It's really an incredible sounding pairing. The iDSD BL is not as detailed as the Mojo but it does a better job with a wider variety of music as I find it to be more forgiving with bad recordings. When using the XBass+ and 3D+ on the iDSD BL you can add bass, soundstage and depth to just about any headphone. It pairs well with all of my headphones and has more features than the Mojo and these features are not gimmicks. They really work and work very well. It even has iFi's well regarded IEM match processing built into it.

The X7 MKII for what it's designed to be is very good musically right out the box and this is a very good sign. I'm enjoying it very much with my SE846's the most. I haven't played with the EQ or Viper effects yet because the SE846's sound so good without using them. I'm sure I could enhance the sound and extract more detail from the music by using them. I could probably even get close to the Mojo or iDSD BL level of musical enjoyment if I tinkered around with these settings enough. But even with these adjustments I'm just not sure if the X7 MKII could best the Mojo or iDSD BL in power output, bass and treble refinement. They are just built for that while the X7 is designed to be so much more. In that regard, I think FiiO has winner on their hands. The FiiO is warm sounding, which should make it play well with just about any recording, it's musically engaging, it's feature rich, has interchangeable amp modules, it's very well built and feels good in your hands. I only expect it to get better the more I listen to it. It's well worth the purchase in my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,007 of 6,207
We have different sound preference. Had the Mojo for a while and didn't find it that good that you described. Sound is fine but the slight improvement or sound quality change due to preference over my iPhone without it does not justify having a interconnect cable and extra bulk.

Don't think the mojo has better details or clarity as well. I won't choose a Mojo over X5iii or X7II if sound quality is overall factor, as it is not better to my ears. It is just improving my iPhone in terms of enabling to play higher resolution files and better driving power. UI interface of iPhone with the Mojo to help with high resolution files are great combination with sacrifices of mobility and extra connection and interconnect, as compared to older DAP in the past. It is a different world now with all the new DAP with much better quality and sound improvements and much improved details.

Again, this is individual sound preference and my preference is not for Mojo and there are many players with better sound quality than Mojo.

You are not the only one as I am never a fan of Mojo, and agrees that there are better. The only thing I would give credit to Mojo for is that it is affordable for below 1k gears with small form factor for Portability and practicality with power packed and great tonal body but then lacking behind in battery time and really when it comes down to nit and pick, there are better, especially if you go above 1K

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,008 of 6,207
I didn't have a AK70, but I had the AK300. Sound quality wise, I liked the Ak300 better than my X5iii slightly with my IEM pairing and it has better built quality.

Sound wise, X7II improves on the details and it is better sounding to my ears than my AK300, thus sold it off after getting my X7ii.

Hey all, very good to read the comparisons here on the new X7ii.

I had the chance to get either a pre-owned X5iii or AK70 for roughly the same price. In the end while I really liked the flexibility of the X5iii, I went with the AK70 because it had that extra sparkle and detail. With the new X7ii, should I expect a drastic improvement in the sound above the AK70?

I listen to my JH13v2s on the go, and K7XX at home, will the amp that comes with the X7ii be able to drive it? Now while my AK70 can put out enough volume, I prefer to amp the K7XX to get some bass detail out of it.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #1,009 of 6,207
FiiO X7 Mark II - Calling All Early Buyers
Share Your Opinion - Free Gift!

To all of the early buyers of FiiO X7 Mark II, we thank you for selecting FiiO as your portable player of choice. In our constant endeavor to improve our products for the benefit of our user community, we invite you to take part in a survey regarding your experience with the X7 Mark II. As a small thanks for your participation, we will send you a gift bag containing a pair of EM3 headphones and a HB1 waterproof headphone case. Please click on the link below to submit your survey feedback:

Take the Survey

This survey is open to customers who have purchased a FiiO X7 Mark II from Amazon.com in the United States prior to 8/30/2017. Information gathered will be used for internal review only and will not be shared with any third parties. Thank you in advance for sharing your feedback with us!

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #1,010 of 6,207
No similar deal for early buyers who bought this early (got mine on 1st day of available stock) in Singapore?

To all of the early buyers of FiiO X7 Mark II, we thank you for selecting FiiO as your portable player of choice. In our constant endeavor to improve our products for the benefit of our user community, we invite you to take part in a survey regarding your experience with the X7 Mark II. As a small thanks for your participation, we will send you a gift bag containing a pair of EM3 headphones and a HB1 waterproof headphone case. Please click on the link below to submit your survey feedback:

Take the Survey

This survey is open to customers who have purchased a FiiO X7 Mark II from Amazon.com in the United States prior to 8/30/2017. Information gathered will be used for internal review only and will not be shared with any third parties. Thank you in advance for sharing your feedback with us!

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #1,011 of 6,207
I didn't have a AK70, but I had the AK300. Sound quality wise, I liked the Ak300 better than my X5iii slightly with my IEM pairing and it has better built quality.

Sound wise, X7II improves on the details and it is better sounding to my ears than my AK300, thus sold it off after getting my X7ii.

This is good to hear! I rather think the AK300 is the big brother of the AK70 and it's good to hear that the X7ii offers even more detail. I should check it out at the local shops in Singapore.

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #1,013 of 6,207
Actually, it did improve on X7 SQ (with it's default AMP module AM1) but X7 wins only because of it's flexibility to use different AMP modules. X5 3 has its advantages over X7 like, improved design, analog volume and dual SD cards.

I was going through older posts and I see Brooko already answered this...

I keep seeing and reading these so-called advantages of the x5iii over the x7i. I agree and subscribe to the 2 (dual cards and improved design) but I believe the analog volume is relative.

I can't wait to try the x7ii so I can compare it with my x7i on am3. Fiio, when will it arrive in Manila?

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #1,015 of 6,207
Is the AM3a amp included with the X7ii enough to drive my K7XX? Or do I still need an extra amp?
I should be able to answer the question today, or by the weekend at the latest, as my X7ii is scheduled for delivery today.
From my experience, though, the AKG K7 series (I own both the K701 and K7xx) LOVE extra juice... not sure they can be ideally driven ampless...
I'll let you know, though.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #1,016 of 6,207

Take the Survey

Awesome, I just completed the Survey. Thanks FiiO!

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,017 of 6,207
I should be able to answer the question today, or by the weekend at the latest, as my X7ii is scheduled for delivery today.
From my experience, though, the AKG K7 series (I own both the K701 and K7xx) LOVE extra juice... not sure they can be ideally driven ampless...
I'll let you know, though.

Thanks! Given the size of the X7ii - I was hoping it could replace the need to carry an extra AMP. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #1,018 of 6,207
Using just the Oriolus MkII now with low gain, and just need volume 30 for loud volume (any higher than 35 is too loud for me).

Using high gain will just need volume 20. Max volume is 120. I think it should have more than enough power to drive most headphones!

Thanks! Given the size of the X7ii - I was hoping it could replace the need to carry an extra AMP. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #1,019 of 6,207
Hi, could you say something about Chord Mojo, iFi Micro iDSD BL, FiiO X7 Mark II under the sound quality field? Thank you in advance!

Let me chime in with a comparison between mojo and x7 classic.

Saber chips in my experience have oodles of microdetail and clarity. Some minor extra detail can be heard from x7 with better clarity. Also it has no treble roll off so is airier with better layering.

As for mojo, its biggest benefit is it has no inherent colouration. Its tone is truely close to source. Its warmth is result of treble roll off. X7 has a blue hue covering entire soundstage. Thus cold descrption sometimes you hear. So you do get a bit compacted soundstage on mojo. Mojo does resolves a bit less information in treble region cause of roll off. While it has more substance in mids section.

As for driving power, i always believe in optimum drive to any transducer. Never shoe horn any big headphone if dac amp in not upto it. So i personally prefer only iems out of 2. If full size hps are a complusion then only 50 ohm or less dynamic driver for both. Or get idsd instead. Have not tried it so cant comment. Both mojo and x7 had similar driving power in my experience (was using iem module on x7). Both drove my hd700 with reasonable authority but i dont prefer using it that way. Sound gets smoothed a bit and i dont hear full detail. Prefer to Use only desktop amps with hd700

You should move to akg k553 if you want them driven straight out of dap.

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #1,020 of 6,207
As for mojo, its biggest benefit is it has no inherent colouration. Its tone is truely close to source. Its warmth is result of treble roll off.

Actually, Mojo's frequency response measures flat to 20kHz for most headphones, and there is only -0.3dB rolloff @10kHz with very sensitive IEMs. I've discussed this a few times with Rob Watts and the smooth tuning is down to the implementation of the DAC filter rather than a rolled off treble. If looking at 3rd party measurements they need to account for the delay from the Mojo's output or they will get inaccurate measurements.

Now, for my part, when I heard the X7 classic (am1) it sounded flat and all the detail was brought forward to the same plane, as I said in my review of the unit. Completely unnatural to me. Of course others like this and I won't debate anyone's preferences, but that is how I heard it. Everything was forced forward to my ears in direct comparison. I'm very interested to hear the X7 mkII to see if the same effect is present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back