FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 15, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #993 of 6,207
Aug 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #994 of 6,207
Tidal HiFi is what I'm using and I'm enjoying the sound over WiFi. No dropouts, skips or anything just great sound. For my first DAP the X7 MKII is awesome.

Hi, could you say something about Chord Mojo, iFi Micro iDSD BL, FiiO X7 Mark II under the sound quality field? Thank you in advance!

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #995 of 6,207
Hi, could you say something about Chord Mojo, iFi Micro iDSD BL, FiiO X7 Mark II under the sound quality field? Thank you in advance!
These are just my initial impressions. I'm not sure the X7 MKII should be compared to the Mojo or iDSD BL because to me they are in different categories. The Mojo and the Micro iDSD BL are dedicated amps/DACs. They both have more driving power and are two of the most well regarded portable amps/dacs you can buy at the moment for under $1000. The Mojo and the iDSD BL can drive full size headphones and IEM's with authority and sound good doing it. I'm not sure the X7 MKII can drive full sized headphones like the other two can nor do I think that this was FiiO's design intent with the X7 MKII. The AM3A does have more power output in balanced mode and the AM5 has even more power yet. But neither of those modules can match the output power of the Mojo or iDSD BL.

Comparing them, the Mojo and the iDSD extract more detail and nuances from the music than X7 MKII. But they are designed to be feed by a source while the X7 MKII is the the source in this case and is meant to be an all in one. The Mojo is a detail and clarity monster with very, very good bass. Music comes to life when I plug in the B&W P9's into the Mojo. It's really an incredible sounding pairing. The iDSD BL is not as detailed as the Mojo but it does a better job with a wider variety of music as I find it to be more forgiving with bad recordings. When using the XBass+ and 3D+ on the iDSD BL you can add bass, soundstage and depth to just about any headphone. It pairs well with all of my headphones and has more features than the Mojo and these features are not gimmicks. They really work and work very well. It even has iFi's well regarded IEM match processing built into it.

The X7 MKII for what it's designed to be is very good musically right out the box and this is a very good sign. I'm enjoying it very much with my SE846's the most. I haven't played with the EQ or Viper effects yet because the SE846's sound so good without using them. I'm sure I could enhance the sound and extract more detail from the music by using them. I could probably even get close to the Mojo or iDSD BL level of musical enjoyment if I tinkered around with these settings enough. But even with these adjustments I'm just not sure if the X7 MKII could best the Mojo or iDSD BL in power output, bass and treble refinement. They are just built for that while the X7 is designed to be so much more. In that regard, I think FiiO has winner on their hands. The FiiO is warm sounding, which should make it play well with just about any recording, it's musically engaging, it's feature rich, has interchangeable amp modules, it's very well built and feels good in your hands. I only expect it to get better the more I listen to it. It's well worth the purchase in my opinion.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #996 of 6,207
These are just my initial impressions. I'm not sure the X7 MKII should be compared to the Mojo or iDSD BL because to me they are in different categories. The Mojo and the Micro iDSD BL are dedicated amps/DACs. They both have more driving power and are two of the most well regarded portable amps/dacs you can buy at the moment for under $1000. The Mojo and the iDSD BL can drive full size headphones and IEM's with authority and sound good doing it. I'm not sure the X7 MKII can drive full sized headphones like the other two can nor do I think that this was FiiO's design intent with the X7 MKII. The AM3A does have more power output in balanced mode and the AM5 has even more power yet. But neither of those modules can match the output power of the Mojo or iDSD BL.

Comparing them, the Mojo and the iDSD extract more detail and nuances from the music than X7 MKII. But they are designed to be feed by a source while the X7 MKII is the the source in this case and is meant to be an all in one. The Mojo is a detail and clarity monster with very, very good bass. Music comes to life when I plug in the B&W P9's into the Mojo. It's really an incredible sounding pairing. The iDSD BL is not as detailed as the Mojo but it does a better job with a wider variety of music as I find it to be more forgiving with bad recordings. When using the XBass+ and 3D+ on the iDSD BL you can add bass, soundstage and depth to just about any headphone. It pairs well with all of my headphones and has more features than the Mojo and these features are not gimmicks. They really work and work very well. It even has iFi's well regarded IEM match processing built into it.

The X7 MKII for what it's designed to be is very good musically right out the box and this is a very good sign. I'm enjoying it very much with my SE846's the most. I haven't played with the EQ or Viper effects yet because the SE846's sound so good without using them. I'm sure I could enhance the sound and extract more detail from the music by using them. I could probably even get close to the Mojo or iDSD BL level of musical enjoyment if I tinkered around with these settings enough. But even with these adjustments I'm just not sure if the X7 MKII could best the Mojo or iDSD BL in power output, bass and treble refinement. They are just built for that while the X7 is designed to be so much more. In that regard, I think FiiO has winner on their hands. The FiiO is warm sounding, which should make it play well with just about any recording, it's musically engaging, it's feature rich, has interchangeable amp modules, it's very well built and feels good in your hands. I only expect it to get better the more I listen to it. It's well worth the purchase in my opinion.
Thank you very much for the answer.
Sure, I'm with you when you say that Mojo and BL need a source. The point of my question was only on the sound quality because everyone today has a smartphone and choosing a FiiO X7ii or a DAC+Amp is another technological gadget to be added in order to enjoy the best possible audio quality. For this reason I am in a battle since X5iii does not have the wow effect which I was waiting for. I'm thinking to move my focus on X7ii for a better sound quality but after reading your comment maybe I have to evaluate again the possibility to choose Mojo or Ifi BL. For instance: I'm using Neutron in both my smartphone and FiiO X5iii because I feel a better audio quality if compared to the stock FiiO Music app. And Neutron has full compatibility with both Mojo and Ifi BL, so I have to take a decision, not so simple! Again, thank you for sharing your impression.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #997 of 6,207
Hey all, very good to read the comparisons here on the new X7ii.

I had the chance to get either a pre-owned X5iii or AK70 for roughly the same price. In the end while I really liked the flexibility of the X5iii, I went with the AK70 because it had that extra sparkle and detail. With the new X7ii, should I expect a drastic improvement in the sound above the AK70?

I listen to my JH13v2s on the go, and K7XX at home, will the amp that comes with the X7ii be able to drive it? Now while my AK70 can put out enough volume, I prefer to amp the K7XX to get some bass detail out of it.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #998 of 6,207
Thank you very much for the answer.
Sure, I'm with you when you say that Mojo and BL need a source. The point of my question was only on the sound quality because everyone today has a smartphone and choosing a FiiO X7ii or a DAC+Amp is another technological gadget to be added in order to enjoy the best possible audio quality. For this reason I am in a battle since X5iii does not have the wow effect which I was waiting for. I'm thinking to move my focus on X7ii for a better sound quality but after reading your comment maybe I have to evaluate again the possibility to choose Mojo or Ifi BL. For instance: I'm using Neutron in both my smartphone and FiiO X5iii because I feel a better audio quality if compared to the stock FiiO Music app. And Neutron has full compatibility with both Mojo and Ifi BL, so I have to take a decision, not so simple! Again, thank you for sharing your impression.
Decisions, decisions.... choosing the best of what works for you is a journey and as long as technology keeps advancing this head-fi hobby will be ongoing. From specs alone the X7 MKII should be better than the X5 III. Both are better than a cell phone to me. But let your ears be the deciding factor. Just to throw a curveball into your decision making imagine the X7 MKII plugged into a Mojo.:L3000: Now you're talking the best of both worlds. But I'm not trying to get you to spend more money, lol.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #999 of 6,207
I've had both the X5iii and X7ii and you are right that the X7ii is better. I found the X5iii too warm. Maybe that could be corrected with brighter IEM's than I was using (iBasso IT03), but the X7ii will always be better sounding.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #1,000 of 6,207
Greetings. :)

Has anyone seen X7 MKII in the USA (I'll be there for an year)? I've planned to buy it in the first batch but money will come next week.

The second batch of X7 MKII should be available in the USA approximately in the middle of next month.

// The 1000. post. Muhaha. :smile:

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #1,002 of 6,207
Yep, I saw it on Amazon too (last week). However, it's already sold out. :triportsad:

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #1,003 of 6,207
I will notice that FiiO Music app in X7 (1st. Gen), with the new themes, is more slowly and less responsive than the old blue theme. Can someone check this with the Mark II of X7?

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,005 of 6,207
The point of the review was not to bash the X5 III, simply to put some ground behind people's disappointment. Personally, I like the X5 III for the price, but I suspect a lot were expecting it to outperform the older X7 for a reduced price. That is not the case because the X5 III was never designed to outperform it's price class, just to sit comfortably near the upper echelon of it.
Actually, it did improve on X7 SQ (with it's default AMP module AM1) but X7 wins only because of it's flexibility to use different AMP modules. X5 3 has its advantages over X7 like, improved design, analog volume and dual SD cards.

I was going through older posts and I see Brooko already answered this...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back