FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 9, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #736 of 6,207
I have always wanted to make a video explaining the "On the Run" track with a pen and paper maker the sonic cues as they happen so a person can follow what is taking place as it is taking place.
The DSD version makes what is a second rocketship/ vehicle panning R>>L at the same time more apparent. The entire audible range sounds clearer via the X7II than the X5III.

The lady making the gate announcement
The dual vehicle panning
The point at which the final ship that comes in and crashes is picked up

all were better to me on the X7II.

I will make that vid. Not today, not for any one person, but for reasons way beyond one DAP . It will be helpful to many, useless to some but most will dig it.

Attachments

• 20170723_152016[1].jpg
    20170723_152016[1].jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #737 of 6,207
I have always wanted to make a video explaining the "On the Run" track with a pen and paper maker the sonic cues as they happen so a person can follow what is taking place as it is taking place.
The DSD version makes what is a second rocketship/ vehicle panning R>>L at the same time more apparent. The entire audible range sounds clearer via the X7II than the X5III.

The lady making the gate announcement
The dual vehicle panning
The point at which the final ship that comes in and crashes is picked up

all were better to me on the X7II.

I will make that vid. Not today, not for any one person, but for reasons way beyond one DAP . It will be helpful to many, useless to some but most will dig it.

The "rocketship" is actually an aeroplane.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #738 of 6,207

:50 - 1:09

1:31 - 1:47/ 1:49- 2:00

2:03 - 2:19 / 2:19 - 2:45

2:45 is a drawn out techo space ship like all that proceed 2:45 until it culminates/morphs into a WWII propeller driven fighter plane crash.

Please listen to the song before commenting instead of watching a music video. I am not going to debate obvious stuff. Please do not quote me anymore. I would appreciate that. Thanks in advance

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #739 of 6,207

2:45 is a drawn out techo space ship like all that proceed 2:45 until it culminates/morphs into a WWII propeller driven fighter plane crash.

Please listen to the song before commenting instead of watching a music video. I am not going to debate obvious stuff. Please do not quote me anymore. I would appreciate that. Thanks in advance

You said "The point at which the final ship that comes in and crashes is picked up"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Run_(instrumental)
"When the band performed this song in concert, at the end of it, a model aeroplane would fly from one end of the arena to the other, appearing to crash in a brilliant explosion. The same effect was used in the A Momentary Lapse of Reason tours, but with a flying bed rather than an aeroplane."

In Roger Waters own words, the song is about travel and about the fear of death through flying, as they traveled extensively by airplane during their career. As far as I know, they didn't travel via spacecraft, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

I have listened to the song more times than I can remember. I look forward to your video explanation and will no doubt dig it. :)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #740 of 6,207

That’s a bit snarky - don’t ya think?

I’ve listened to that piece maybe a 1,000 times and spaceship never entered my mind.

I’ve seen it performed several times and no spaceship was present.

That being said, the beauty of music is that we all can interpret as we like.

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #742 of 6,207
Well I guess thats where I'm in the minority on this forum.
  1. The transducers are always going to make more difference than the DAP does - and by an order of magnitude.
  2. If you're listening portably (which is the idea for a DAP) then the perceived SQ differences are not going to show up with background noise a lot of the time anyway.
  3. For me, as long as it sounds good, the features are probably more important.
  4. I'll never be asking Apple for FLAC support. They have ALAC (which is the same PCM stream at the end of the day), and because I've measured my own limitations properly, I know that aac256 is transparent (to me). I'll buy DSD of higher res FLAC if its the mastering I want. But then the first thing I do for my portable is to re-encode to aac256. It sounds the same to me - its easier to manage, and I can get more on a device. I think if people were to measure the differences properly (blind and volume matched), 90%+ of people on this forum might have an epiphany (they'd need to turn in their "audiophile card" though - and simply become music lovers like me :)
At the end of the day its what makes you happy - and ignore everything else though.

I do think my new signature quote is very apt.

I agree that the differences between transducers are bigger than the differences between modern dacs/daps.
But then, with a very good dac/dap, every transducer I own sounds a little bit better, so I still want the best (affordable) dap.
I started with the first gen FiiO X1, which did not really sound much better than my iPhone 4 at the time. I upgraded to FiiO X3 1st gen, which did sound better than the iPhone. Another step up was the IBasso DX90. Tried the Mojo and did not like it (unlike almost everyone else on head-fi), because it lacked treble detail compared to the DX90 and sounded a bit too harsh to me (it had very good bass though).
What I"m really happy with is the good old Pono Player - I bought a used one last year and it really was a step up on DX90 and Mojo despite being older. I think it is because of the custom minimum phase slow roll off filter and the no feedback amp design.
But I just ordered the X7 II (and the Hidizs AP200) to see if the newer ESS Sabre chips offer an improvement and also I want to have Tidal streaming in the dap.

As to daps being used on the go / outside the home we appear to be very different users - I almost never use a dap outside of my home (car stereo when I"m driving, at work I can"t listen to a dap when talking to clients :)
I prefer a dap over my stationary dac at home because I"m not tied to a radius of 2 or 3 m around my desktop dac. I can move about or go sit on the balcony with a dap. I use the desktop dac only with my powered Neumann KH120 speakers...

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #743 of 6,207
I would also agree with aac quality being hard in a true blind test to tell apart from cd quality or higher res.
I can tell the difference only on selected parts of selected songs if I concentrate hard and select quickly between the qualities. Cymbals for example are good for comparing these differences.
But since cd quality in alac format takes up little space and memory is extremely cheap now, why should I compress to aac when I can have lossless? MP3 and AAC were formats for 20 years ago when the Internet was slow (I remember Napster downloads of 128 kbits MP3s took 2 or 3 minutes with a 33600 baud modem :wink: ) and storage space was scarce.
I can"t understand why Apple still sticks to aac in its iTunes store - they would have the power to get all labels to submit recordings in high res and could sell those at a premium. That way, better digital filters could be used in analog to digital conversion and better reconstruction filters could be used in the dacs and everything would sound more like the original performance (remember the 44,1 kHz standard was also chosen because storage space was scarce on cd - in theory it should be enough to record all audible frequencies but unfortunately the space between audible 18 or 19 kHz and the Nyquist frequency of 22,05 kHz is too small for a good digital filter - all current cd quality filters are compromises, that is why DSD sounds better - it does not have the filter problem).

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #744 of 6,207
I would also agree with aac quality being hard in a true blind test to tell apart from cd quality or higher res.
I can tell the difference only on selected parts of selected songs if I concentrate hard and select quickly between the qualities. Cymbals for example are good for comparing these differences.
But since cd quality in alac format takes up little space and memory is extremely cheap now, why should I compress to aac when I can have lossless? MP3 and AAC were formats for 20 years ago when the Internet was slow (I remember Napster downloads of 128 kbits MP3s took 2 or 3 minutes with a 33600 baud modem :wink: ) and storage space was scarce.
I can"t understand why Apple still sticks to aac in its iTunes store - they would have the power to get all labels to submit recordings in high res and could sell those at a premium. That way, better digital filters could be used in analog to digital conversion and better reconstruction filters could be used in the dacs and everything would sound more like the original performance (remember the 44,1 kHz standard was also chosen because storage space was scarce on cd - in theory it should be enough to record all audible frequencies but unfortunately the space between audible 18 or 19 kHz and the Nyquist frequency of 22,05 kHz is too small for a good digital filter - all current cd quality filters are compromises, that is why DSD sounds better - it does not have the filter problem).

I have almost all of my collection in FLAC, at least for my own mental peace as a collector, I want to always have a FLAC copy :darthsmile:

When one can get a 128GB mSD card for less than 70$, and when all FiiO DAPs come with 2 x mSD slots, maybe keeping FLAC is ok.

My entire music collection from all time is somewhere around 300 GB or so, and I only know ~70% of the songs there, some albums were bought on an impulse because I liked a song, never got to hear the rest of the album :smile_phones:

Aug 9, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #745 of 6,207
I have almost all of my collection in FLAC, at least for my own mental peace as a collector, I want to always have a FLAC copy :darthsmile:

Btw, FLAC compression (with more or less bitrate) doesn’t really affect SQ? It's only a compression algorithm that eases or difficults processor decoding, is this correct?
By other words, independently of compression, is *always* loseless ?

Ps: I still keep some of my first DAP's, Samsung Yepp, and Muvo too ... :L3000:

Regards

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #746 of 6,207
Btw, FLAC compression (with more or less bitrate) doesn’t really affect SQ? It's only a compression algorithm that eases or difficults processor decoding, is this correct?
By other words, independently of compression, is *always* loseless ?

Ps: I still keep one of my best DAP's, Samsung Yepp, and Muvo too ... :L3000:

Regards

Yep! You're having the exact same quality with all levels of FLAC compression :gs1000smile:

Higher FLAC compression levels will make the algorithm save more space by using a more agressive compression algorithm, but lossless is lossless!

FLAC offers the exact same data as it was in the CD, so you're basically archiving the CD versions of the songs, nothing can beat that, maybe except for Hi-Res, if you can find your favorite music in Hi-Res formats... I can't really do that:triportsad:

You do sound like you're having quite a bit of fun with your DAPs in there! The oldest DAPs I have lying around are mostly Clip+ and Cowon J3... Both functional, but that clip+ has some issues with its 3.5 jack and I didn't really had a chance to fix it, maybe won't have soon because I don't have good skill with a weilding pen.

To stay on thread, I can't wait to get my paws on X7mkii. It should arrive at the same time with DX200 which is another DAP I am really curious about :darthsmile:

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #747 of 6,207
You said "The point at which the final ship that comes in and crashes is picked up"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Run_(instrumental)
"When the band performed this song in concert, at the end of it, a model aeroplane would fly from one end of the arena to the other, appearing to crash in a brilliant explosion. The same effect was used in the A Momentary Lapse of Reason tours, but with a flying bed rather than an aeroplane."

In Roger Waters own words, the song is about travel and about the fear of death through flying, as they traveled extensively by airplane during their career. As far as I know, they didn't travel via spacecraft, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

I have listened to the song more times than I can remember. I look forward to your video explanation and will no doubt dig it. :)

I posted rough panning times and you googled.
You asked for some interface with me about this and I did a little and you skip the cues. And ignore it and... Google

Listen. To that vid again I posted and the times

Do you think it sounds like an airplane?

Sounds like this Jetson's car slowed down and tweaked.
I thought that as a kid when i first heard this.

There is a U.K. Quad version produced by Allan Parsons that has lot of different things including a much clearer plane sound that seems to come from behind and crash near the end

I saw Supertramp live and remember the beginning of "Take the long way home" He was playing harmonica.
Had a debate later about what that was when i was looking right at it. Sounds like a harmonica on the LP as well. Just walked away from that.

Can you forget Google and just listen again and tell me if it sounds like an airplane or some random imagination created object panning from L>>>R and back and forth that I called a spaceship

If we can do that then we can get into the minutia of the panning and other nuggets in the track.

EDIT:

As noted in a PM exchange this is swerving too far off the device (X7II) so shady and I can move it to PM

My apologies for the distraction. This device is being watched and waited on by many forum viewers (members and lurkers).
(Users: 5, Guests: 19)

Back to the X7II

20170810_113621_001[1].jpg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #748 of 6,207
[QUOTE
I posted rough panning times and you googled.
You asked for some interface with me about this and I did a little and you skip the cues. And ignore it and... Google

Listen. To that vid again I posted and the times

Do you think it sounds like an airplane?

Sounds like this Jetson's car slowed down and tweaked.
I thought that as a kid when i first heard this.

There is a U.K. Quad version produced by Allan Parsons that has lot of different things including a much clearer plane sound that seems to come from behind and crash near the end

I saw Supertramp live and remember the beginning of "Take the long way home" He was playing harmonica.
Had a debate later about what that was when i was looking right at it. Sounds like a harmonica on the LP as well. Just walked away from that.

Can you forget Google and just listen again and tell me if it sounds like an airplane or some random imagination created object panning from L>>>R and back and forth that I called a spaceship

If we can do that then we can get into the minutia of the panning and other nuggets in the track.

EDIT:

As noted in a PM exchange this is swerving too far off the device (X7II) so shady and I can move it to PM

My apologies for the distraction. This device is being watched and waited on by many forum viewers (members and lurkers).
(Users: 5, Guests: 19)

Back to the X7II

You said "The point at which the final ship that comes in and crashes is picked up". It is not a spaceship, it is an airplane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #749 of 6,207
Anybody comment on sound quality from the X7II compared to a Dragonfly Red with Tidal Hi-Fi quality or max 24/96 flac (not DSD).

Aug 10, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #750 of 6,207
... I ordered mine on Amazon.co.uk and there wasn't even the option of expedity or registered shipment!! ...

I'm posting this just to correct the above sentence, I had the tracking number in my message inbox :L3000:. My fault, no blame on Amazon with excellent service as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back