FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 9, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #706 of 6,207
Aug 9, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #707 of 6,207
I did. So much. With different phones, but mainly with T5p Gen2. To my ears I really cannot tell much of a difference, but the X5iii seemed maybe a bit fuller sounding on just a couple of tracks. I would say that there is not much separating the two.

Its really hard to do a direct comparison because the X5iii is more powerful SE than the X7ii (Test tracked Max Volume X7ii- 120.7 dBC vs X5iii- 122.8 dBC) so it may just be the little extra power making the difference to the sound beefing up the bass a touch.

I tested with CD rips from SD card and also playing the same tracks simultaneously on Tidal HiFi. Both sound really good to me, but I seem to prefer the X5iii...

Good for you. The sound differences between DAPs are subtle and will take a longer listening to tell a difference, even if you can hear differences.

At the current quality of DAC, I think it is just a matter of preference rather than which one is better. I think there will be people preferring X5iii which is ticking most of the boxes.

I found X7ii tuned to similar smooth sounding as X5iii but the main difference is the better details.

I have not encountered any issue (touch wood) since using it for a few days, vs DSD jumps on my X5III. Personal preference as well, I feel that the built quality is better on the X7II than my X5iii. Paint work seems better on the X7ii (had tiny swirl lines on my X5iii on day 1). Using balanced plug and X7ii balanced connector feels tighter where X5iii feels not as tight (had both black and Titanium sets so unlikely sample issue).

The higher price of X7ii will probably be justified by the extra Ram, a upgradeable Amp modules, and the New Toy syndrome.

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #708 of 6,207
Good for you. The sound differences between DAPs are subtle and will take a longer listening to tell a difference, even if you can hear differences.

At the current quality of DAC, I think it is just a matter of preference rather than which one is better. I think there will be people preferring X5iii which is ticking most of the boxes.

I found X7ii tuned to similar smooth sounding as X5iii but the main difference is the better details.

I have not encountered any issue (touch wood) since using it for a few days, vs DSD jumps on my X5III. Personal preference as well, I feel that the built quality is better on the X7II than my X5iii. Paint work seems better on the X7ii (had tiny swirl lines on my X5iii on day 1). Using balanced plug and X7ii balanced connector feels tighter where X5iii feels not as tight (had both black and Titanium sets so unlikely sample issue).

The higher price of X7ii will probably be justified by the extra Ram, a upgradeable Amp modules, and the New Toy syndrome.

It is probably worth the extra £150 or so for the 64GB vs 32GB, and 2GB vs 1GB RAM, & 5GHz WiFi if those are important to you. The connectors do feel slightly tighter on the X7ii, and also the volume control has a little more clickyness to it. I think build quality is better on the X5iii, as the joins between the amp module and body on the X7ii are not perfect. Overall though I prefer the aesthetics and proportions of the X5iii.

Have you got a track in mind that is good to highlight better detail retrieval. I tried everything from Kate Bush to Excision without success. :)

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #709 of 6,207
Have you got a track in mind that is good to highlight better detail retrieval. I tried everything from Kate Bush to Excision without success. :)

Pink Floyd - "On the Run" DSD version.

X7II gives me dual panning cues one rocket ship is 2 more clearly on X7II I cannot hear that on X5iii

I think your hearing may not be great.
It's the same as eyesight. Some folks are weak and it is a topic that hardly gets touched around here. You prefer one or the other? I get it. You cannot hear the difference? I cannot argue since I don't know you.
Enjoy your stuff in your way

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #710 of 6,207
It is probably worth the extra £150 or so for the 64GB vs 32GB, and 2GB vs 1GB RAM, & 5GHz WiFi if those are important to you. The connectors do feel slightly tighter on the X7ii, and also the volume control has a little more clickyness to it. I think build quality is better on the X5iii, as the joins between the amp module and body on the X7ii are not perfect. Overall though I prefer the aesthetics and proportions of the X5iii.

Hmmm... interesting. My X7ii has perfectly aligned joint at the amp module and body. Feels much more sturdy and paint work is perfect as well. My X5iii had swirl marks near the USB connector since day 1 and dust in the LCD screen.

Probably lucky set with X7ii and not so much with X5iii.

Details wise, will be good to use DSD to test.

If you can't hear any difference, I am guessing you probably can't hear any difference between the X5iii vs a iphone 7 as well.

Good news actually, as X5iii is good enough for you and you save some money!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #711 of 6,207
Hmmm... interesting. My X7ii has perfectly aligned joint at the amp module and body. Feels much more sturdy and paint work is perfect as well. My X5iii had swirl marks near the USB connector since day 1 and dust in the LCD screen.

Probably lucky set with X7ii and not so much with X5iii.

Details wise, will be good to use DSD to test.

If you can't hear any difference, I am guessing you probably can't hear any difference between the X5iii vs a iphone 7 as well.

The sonic difference between my iPhone and Note 4 compared to either of these DAP is obviously night and day. The sonic difference between the X5iii and X7ii is to my ears, negligible.

The X5iii has better battery life and a more powerful amplifier compared to the X7ii in SE config, and I prefer its form factor as it is smaller and one piece.

To use your iPhone analogy, on the X7ii, the screen is raised higher than the amp module, and if you run your finger down the sides of the X7ii, there is not the "iPhone" precision of construction and attention to detail between the main body and amp module. The X5iii being one piece construction, to me feels better in the hand.

I have both the X7ii and the X5iii, so it does not save me any money by preferring one over the other.

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #712 of 6,207

I did a side-by-side comparison X5iii and X7 1st balanced, both playing same tracks on same second, matched volume by listening, EQ off (never use it). Switching my Angies II from one to another, the difference was so notorious, soundstage, clarity and separation... that's when I decided to wait for X7ii. I don't expect X7 Mk2 to be better (for my taste) than X7 Mk1 balanced, which is already fantastic - jumped mostly because of convenience, double cards, volume wheel, etc. - but if it is and I can hear it, then great, I'll be even happier!

My 2 cents

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #713 of 6,207
Pink Floyd - "On the Run" DSD version.

X7II gives me dual panning cues one rocket ship is 2 more clearly on X7II I cannot hear that on X5iii

I think your hearing may not be great.
It's the same as eyesight. Some folks are weak and it is a topic that hardly gets touched around here. You prefer one or the other? I get it. You cannot hear the difference? I cannot argue since I don't know you.
Enjoy your stuff in your way

Have you got the track time position of the section you mention in On The Run.

I'm not sure what you mean by "one rocket ship is 2 more clearly on X7II"

If you cannot hear something out of the X5iii, it could be that your hearing may not be great. :)

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #714 of 6,207
Unfortunately, my X7ii compared to my iphone 7 is not night and day. It is just very subtle difference and only can hear the subtle differences in quiet moments and with a good IEM. The subtle difference in details is also what I meant for X7ii vs X5iii. Only listening to them in balanced out so no comment on SE with either JH Layla II or Oriolus II.

As for saving money, I meant to say, just sell one of them since you have a preference for one.

Once again, I am not suggesting that X7ii is better than X5iii or the other way round. I am just putting my own opinion that it improves the details that I felt slightly veiled in my X5iii, without losing the smooth and musical portion that I found missing in the DX200.

So they are all good DAPs, and my iPhone 7 sounds really good when I used it on my travel between home to work.

The sonic difference between my iPhone and Note 4 compared to either of these DAP is obviously night and day. The sonic difference between the X5iii and X7ii is to my ears, negligible.

The X5iii has better battery life and a more powerful amplifier compared to the X7ii in SE config, and I prefer its form factor as it is smaller and one piece.

To use your iPhone analogy, on the X7ii, the screen is raised higher than the amp module, and if you run your finger down the sides of the X7ii, there is not the "iPhone" precision of construction and attention to detail between the main body and amp module. The X5iii being one piece construction, to me feels better in the hand.

I have both the X7ii and the X5iii, so it does not save me any money by preferring one over the other.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #715 of 6,207
Unfortunately, my X7ii compared to my iphone 7 is not night and day. It is just very subtle difference and only can hear the subtle differences in quiet moments and with a good IEM. The subtle difference in details is also what I meant for X7ii vs X5iii. Only listening to them in balanced out so no comment on SE with either JH Layla II or Oriolus II.

As for saving money, I meant to say, just sell one of them since you have a preference for one.

Once again, I am not suggesting that X7ii is better than X5iii or the other way round. I am just put my opinion that it improves the details that I felt slightly veiled in my X5iii, without losing the smooth and musical portion that I found missing in the DX200.

So they are all good DAPs, and my iPhone 7 sounds really good when I used it on my travel between home to work.

tu

I was happy using a smartphone and decent over ear phones for occasional non tethered listening, but the DAPs have so much more driving power that it was a night and day moment for me between the two.

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #716 of 6,207

Once again, I am not suggesting that X7ii is better than X5iii or the other way round. I am just putting my own opinion that it improves the details that I felt slightly veiled in my X5iii, without losing the smooth and musical portion that I found missing in the DX200.

Are we in all seriousness comparing iphones to DAPs?

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #718 of 6,207
Are we in all seriousness comparing iphones to DAPs?

I don't see why not. I use my iPhone SE around 40% of the time for my listening. It is linear, clean, easy to use, and more importantly always with me. I've see a lot of references to "night and day" over the last few pages. I wonder if anyone stops to really think what the phrase means. It's like black vs white, dark vs night - and I practically guarantee that the differences people are talking about would not fall into the category of day and night difference. The problem is that most of the time (when comparing) - people don't use the same track, same volume (matched properly - and not by ear), and they definitely don't do it blind. Yes there will be differences - but I do find it comical that there have been the odd reference to people's hearing - when in reality it could be the "brain filter" we put over everything.

If absolute hearing excellence was a pre-requisite for reviewing, I'd imagine quite a few reviewers would have to give up (and I would be one of them) :wink:

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #720 of 6,207
I don't see why not. I use my iPhone SE around 40% of the time for my listening. It is linear, clean, easy to use, and more importantly always with me. I've see a lot of references to "night and day" over the last few pages. I wonder if anyone stops to really think what the phrase means. It's like black vs white, dark vs night - and I practically guarantee that the differences people are talking about would not fall into the category of day and night difference. The problem is that most of the time (when comparing) - people don't use the same track, same volume (matched properly - and not by ear), and they definitely don't do it blind. Yes there will be differences - but I do find it comical that there have been the odd reference to people's hearing - when in reality it could be the "brain filter" we put over everything.

If absolute hearing excellence was a pre-requisite for reviewing, I'd imagine quite a few reviewers would have to give up (and I would be one of them) :wink:

For the most part i agree with you. However i really dont see the point of comparing an iphone with a DAP. Honestly, Brooko if there was not a substantial difference, you and i both would be cribbing over at apples forums for native flac support. Or weeping before Vox devs to include a particular DAC. The difference may not be night and day, certainly not. However the difference is enough for me to never want to pick up my phone to listen to music. I can really only talk about what i hear and feel. It should never be a general remark. :)

EDIT: you cant give up reviewing ever!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back