FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #661 of 6,207

You have dibs on the beach boomer. Comes with 2 sets of re-chargeable batts for 11 hours of beach booming sounds.

About the X7ii

Reading the compares to the X5iii are kind of blowing my mind.

I listen balanced and my compare was balanced but in that one area they sounded very un alike , like say...one had a chip with velvet sound embedded in it ( (Ak chip) and the warm smooth, too much for some delivery that implies)...and the other is a ess chip with no embedded velvet sound and a clarity via balanced not attainable by the X5iii. It sounded so obvious I am kinda bummed. I get the differing opinions. I get the diff from X5iii and DX200. it is obvious. Warm smooth v.s. detailed analytical. Cannot be more opposite.

I hate the DX but sold it yesterday and stayed out of the thread because my view was clear and stated. Not gonna beat a dead horse, not gonna do another vid with it.

Kept the ex1000 in my ear and played "On the Run" through both FiiO's and the width of stage and clarity of the minutia in that track were notably superior on X7ii. not close really.

Whipped up a vid knowing many watchers may have bought X5iii based of my rec. Now I am telling them to sell and get an X7ii.
That will not fly well with many
That is total bull**** for some
What bro??<<<legit feeling
That is telling folks to sell a FiiO and as often happens they will go in another direction not named X7ii
That is not what fiiO wants to hear "Sell your Fiio" ....again, they might do it and then move to another maker for change of pace etc
That is not what a X5iii owner wants to hear

I sold my X5iii, I sold my DX200, I sold my PHA-3.

I decided the X7ii balanced was clear clean detailed without a overly neutral dry sound. Had better detail retrieval and stage than the gear I sold.

If I was being clever and thinking about the folks that listen to me or FiiO I would have not made that vid and said what i said. I simply do not give a shiiiii what you folks think. i don't even know you. I like the X7ii, think it is clearly the superior device for balanced and acted like a person who thought that.

Who is the guy with all those Band Aids on his left shoulder?

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #663 of 6,207
That's me bro.
My shoulder was dislocated 2 weeks ago. Those are magnets under the stickers. Yesterday i put a ice pick through that left hand. I am abusing the hell outta my body this Summer.
Injury and OCD = bigger injury? Go swimming.

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #664 of 6,207
You want to have a look under advanced power setting, USB power mode and set it to be always on. Helped me with the exact same issue.
It literally doesn't make sense since the audio files I'm playing from is located in the same SSD my OS is running on. There's literally no way my drive goes to sleep/low-power mode. Moreover, it's a desktop, selective drive suspension practically shouldn't happen at all. What irks me is that there were no issues running my old E5 while the X7ii stutters as a USB DAC.

I'm just gonna wait to see if a future firmware fixes this issue or a subsequent K5ii appears to replace my E5 altogether.

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #665 of 6,207
It literally doesn't make sense since the audio files I'm playing from is located in the same SSD my OS is running on. There's literally no way my drive goes to sleep/low-power mode. Moreover, it's a desktop, selective drive suspension practically shouldn't happen at all. What irks me is that there were no issues running my old E5 while the X7ii stutters as a USB DAC.

I'm just gonna wait to see if a future firmware fixes this issue or a subsequent K5ii appears to replace my E5 altogether.

I am sorry i thought the music was on a different drive. Did you try wasapi out..always worked for me in exclusive mode.

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #666 of 6,207
I am sorry i thought the music was on a different drive. Did you try wasapi out..always worked for me in exclusive mode.
I'm giving up on solving the issue right now to be honest since it isn't the primary use I have for the X7ii. It's virtually perfect for everything else I hoped for. Already spent more than 12 hours trying out different ways to troubleshoot the issue to avail and so I'm not gonna waste further time on it. I was only being slightly hopeful since it would be more convenient to be able to charge the device whenever I get home and still enjoy the wonderful sound it produces.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #668 of 6,207
Would the X7 2 be a waste for me not going balanced?

Thanks

Riley
Most definitely not a waste, I currently only have SE headphones and they still sound great. Balanced output should be considered a service to yourself in the future when you're looking to upgrade your headphones or IEMs. It's just pretty clear to me that FiiO is really pushing for balanced output to be the new mainstream standard when I was auditioning it at a local store with the F9. The soundstage is extraordinarily wide for an IEM under 100 US dollars.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #670 of 6,207
Has anybody noticed any bugs with the X7 2 yet aside from the fast forwarding one that was already mentioned?

Thanks

Riley

USB DAC is still not polished under FiiO yet.
I have had little quirks while using device but nothing that repeats itself so I cannot see a pattern I can mention? I only use s a DAP no PC for me and I don't stream though DLNA and Spotify work fine for me

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #671 of 6,207
Thanks HBB. Hopefully no quirks will pop up then. How have you found the battery life? I know a few people had some different problems with the X5 3. This sounds like the issues might be ironed out sooner than that device possibly?

Great video review also

Cheers

Riley

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #672 of 6,207
Thanks HBB. Hopefully no quirks will pop up then. How have you found the battery life? I know a few people had some different problems with the X5 3. This sounds like the issues might be ironed out sooner than that device possibly?

Great video review also

Cheers

Riley

Thanks,
I had some long listening sessions and it seemed like it lasts longer than X5iii but i never did a test. It gets very warm and heat is a sign of inefficiency somewhere but it is not a noteable battery drain. i keep wifi off most of the time and run balanced so it should draw more power than SE..I would think?

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #673 of 6,207
Thanks,
I had some long listening sessions and it seemed like it lasts longer than X5iii but i never did a test. It gets very warm and heat is a sign of inefficiency somewhere but it is not a noteable battery drain. i keep wifi off most of the time and run balanced so it should draw more power than SE..I would think?

I only play music from micro sd cards single ended so this sounds Pretty likely to be a great dap for me. I usually like to wait a few months until for reviews after new toy syndrome has worn off for people to post any bugs or annoyances or quirks. Seems like that was kind of common with the X5 3 to some extent. I am going to buy an Opus 1 Metal and then this next year probably around Summer when i have more work.

Thanks

Riley

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #674 of 6,207
I only play music from micro sd cards single ended so this sounds Pretty likely to be a great dap for me. I usually like to wait a few months until for reviews after new toy syndrome has worn off for people to post any bugs or annoyances or quirks. Seems like that was kind of common with the X5 3 to some extent. I am going to buy an Opus 1 Metal and then this next year probably around Summer when i have more work.

Thanks

Riley

Waiting for other inputs/reviews and FW seems like a very level headed idea.
Good plan.
Hardly eeeeever happens round here :)

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #675 of 6,207
Would the X7 2 be a waste for me not going balanced?

Thanks

Riley

It comes with am3a which is balanced module. Most likely its optimised for balanced operation.

If you wish to remain single ended simply get a module thats optimised for se operation.

Personally i would invest in getting balanced cable instead of swapping module if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back