FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 7, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #631 of 6,207
Some users are selling x7 ii cause they felt SE was too warm, like x5 iii. So which one is it? Haha

I understand this is headfi and different people percieve things differently.

Using A12 which is fairly warm, I hated the pairing with X5III as the synergy made it too thick and warm. X7II however is not as warm as X5III and the pairing was much better with the A12. So if you ask me, X5III is much warmer than X7II.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #632 of 6,207
@Hawaiibadboy, Awesome, I'm going to pick up the M1s and pair it with the Fiio F9 for super portable use. I don't have a good set of iem's with a balanced cable and if the F9 is similar to the A83 I think I'll enjoy it quite a it.

Thx, I had the Live at the Fillmore but it's too drab lol. I actually attended two of those shows (showing my age) and is still one of my all time favorites along with Live at Leeds.

That should be a fine setup

How blessed are you?

Ever seen that vid on Youtube?

They both had their accidents one street over and a block down. About a 2 minute ride. Crazy. I grew up with them cuz my mom. She saw a show or 2 I think.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #633 of 6,207
@Hawaiibadboy
have u ever had Acoustic research AR-M2 ? just to know how you could consider it against Sabre 9028 of X72 (and Dx200)...

ciao!

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #634 of 6,207
That should be a fine setup

How blessed are you?

Ever seen that vid on Youtube?

They both had their accidents one street over and a block down. About a 2 minute ride. Crazy. I grew up with them cuz my mom. She saw a show or 2 I think.

I truly do feel blessed that I grew up in NYC when there were bands, that I loved, playing every single weekend. The most expensive ticket, at the Fillmore was $5.50 and as small as the venue was the $3.50 seats were fine. lol I only sat in the $3.50 seats once for Traffic, Fairport Convention and Mott the Hoople but enjoyed just the same. Don't get me started, as you can see I can talk about this ..... for days. :)

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #635 of 6,207
@Hawaiibadboy
have u ever had Acoustic research AR-M2 ? just to know how you could consider it against Sabre 9028 of X72 (and Dx200)...

ciao!

Looked great with a big screen but never really had a good listen to that device

I truly do feel blessed that I grew up in NYC when there were bands, that I loved, playing every single weekend. The most expensive ticket, at the Fillmore was $5.50 and as small as the venue was the $3.50 seats were fine. lol I only sat in the $3.50 seats once for Traffic, Fairport Convention and Mott the Hoople but enjoyed just the same. Don't get me started, as you can see I can talk about this ..... for days. :)

Traffic? Awesome!

My early youth was in Boston. My mom used to go to providence civic center and other places to see everything that came through Boston. J Geils, BOSTON, The Cars, Aerosmith and others were local bands and around a lot. All the North American tours came through town. I woulda like to have been 19 then :)

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #636 of 6,207
@FiiO
I'm currently testing X7ii as a USB DAC and the slightest annoyance so far is that there is an intermittent pause happening.

Just to be certain, I used the cable provided in the box, ensured that all my playback device settings are set to the X7ii as default playback device.
Foobar has also been set to use the X7ii as well.
Used different ports (USB 2.0 and 3.0/3.1) as well and restarted my PC each time with only Foobar running in my experiments.

The pause still happens and I can't seem to determine the cause. It doesn't happen that often but it is an issue I'm bringing up in case someone else has concerns with it being used as a USB DAC.

Edit: Just want to clarify that this pause is only happening as a USB DAC, using the DAP on its own has been buttery smooth for me.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #637 of 6,207
Would you guys say Thr dx200 is the X7 II main competition? I'm still trying to figure which is nicer for Tidal streaming4

Also Opus #3. I will have all nof them in my hands pretty soon :darthsmile:

Really enthused by them as I hope they are all really good!

Using A12 which is fairly warm, I hated the pairing with X5III as the synergy made it too thick and warm. X7II however is not as warm as X5III and the pairing was much better with the A12. So if you ask me, X5III is much warmer than X7II.

Nice thing! I really hope for a neutral performance that will have an energetic top end!

@FiiO
I'm currently testing X7ii as a USB DAC and the slightest annoyance so far is that there is an intermittent pause happening.

Just to be certain, I used the cable provided in the box, ensured that all my playback device settings are set to the X7ii as default playback device.
Foobar has also been set to use the X7ii as well.
Used different ports (USB 2.0 and 3.0/3.1) as well and restarted my PC each time with only Foobar running in my experiments.

The pause still happens and I can't seem to determine the cause. It doesn't happen that often but it is an issue I'm bringing up in case someone else has concerns with it being used as a USB DAC.

Edit: Just want to clarify that this pause is only happening as a USB DAC, using the DAP on its own has been buttery smooth for me.

You're getting a short pause at the beginning of a song, or a short pause while a song is playing?

I remember that playing with the buffer settings really used to help with some DAPs.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #639 of 6,207
Hi

I'm kinda new to DAP's, and have been testing out a few components, X5iii with K5, T5p 2nd Gen, AKT5p, DT1770, SRH1540 and PM-3. Today I got the X7ii (Which doesn't fit in the K5 :frowning2:)

I'm highly dubious about things like burn in and balanced cables, and its hard to directly judge balanced vs SE with the Fiio's, as the X5iii has a lower output on balanced, but the X7ii has higher output on balanced vs SE. I think that the increased output of the balanced out on the X7ii is why it sounds better than single ended out with the AKT5p.

Anyhoo, I have been comparing the X5iii with the X7ii mainly using the T5p, and I really cant tell much of a difference myself. I did sort of overdo it a couple of days ago with loud music, so my ears are still a bit worse for wear. I think that maybe the X5iii has a tiny bit more midrange body, but that may be my imagination. I haven't volume matched the 2 DAPS, just set them both to 100 on High Gain setting. The filters don't seem to have much of a difference either.

I did have an issue on the X7ii where swapping phones killed the audio out a few times. It looked like the track was playing, but there was no output until I did a reboot.

Has anyone got any recs for test tracks that may pick up any sonic difference between these 2 DAPs, and any opinion on how the sound compares between the two.

:0)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #641 of 6,207
Short pause while a song is playing. I'm setting the buffer length from 1000ms to 3250ms to see how much it affects the issue.

It would be good to change the buffer in the FiiO driver settings instead of Foobar2000, setting it to relaxed or something like that usually solved the issue, if there was an issue with stutter and such.

I remember that windows has some latency issues with some drivers, especially some drivers combinations, and this can cause issues. Something something between Nvidia drivers and audio drivers sometimes having different times, I had a free tool for setting the Windows timer to another level at one point.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #643 of 6,207
It would be good to change the buffer in the FiiO driver settings instead of Foobar2000, setting it to relaxed or something like that usually solved the issue, if there was an issue with stutter and such.

I remember that windows has some latency issues with some drivers, especially some drivers combinations, and this can cause issues. Something something between Nvidia drivers and audio drivers sometimes having different times, I had a free tool for setting the Windows timer to another level at one point.

Would be nice if FiiO had any documentation with the differences outlined between all the buffer options. I previously had it set to "Reliable" which ironically wasn't. Changed it to "Relaxed" and I'll see how it goes.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #644 of 6,207
Would be nice if FiiO had any documentation with the differences outlined between all the buffer options. I previously had it set to "Reliable" which ironically wasn't. Changed it to "Relaxed" and I'll see how it goes.

Reliable :darthsmile:

For all seriousness, just set it to extra safe or something, the largest buffer possible means that there are the least chances of stutter happening, stutter appears when the data isn't sent fast enough to the DAP.

Depending on your configuration, your HDD might be going to sleep while playing, or data might not be send as fast as it has to, I have Foobar buffering every file up to 2 GB in RAM, and I have it keeping the HDDs spinning while Foobar is open, so I don't usually get any stutter with anything, but I also generally set all buffers to the largest values, this seems to cause the least problems with music and videos. this might cause problems if playing fast paced games, since the buffer times might be a bit high, but I don't use a separate DAC when playing games, my lappy having a pretty good ESS solution.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #645 of 6,207
Reliable :darthsmile:

For all seriousness, just set it to extra safe or something, the largest buffer possible means that there are the least chances of stutter happening, stutter appears when the data isn't sent fast enough to the DAP.

Depending on your configuration, your HDD might be going to sleep while playing, or data might not be send as fast as it has to, I have Foobar buffering every file up to 2 GB in RAM, and I have it keeping the HDDs spinning while Foobar is open, so I don't usually get any stutter with anything, but I also generally set all buffers to the largest values, this seems to cause the least problems with music and videos. this might cause problems if playing fast paced games, since the buffer times might be a bit high, but I don't use a separate DAC when playing games, my lappy having a pretty good ESS solution.

I'd be suing Samsung if a 950 EVO doesn't send data fast enough. :angry:
I used to use Creative Sound Blaster E5 as my primary DAC/AMP and there was never an issue with stuttering.

Am actually inclined to think it's a thermal throttling issue now since even on "Extra Safe", the stuttering still occurs. And judging by the increasing frequency of it happening and how hot the X7ii is getting after 4 hours of USB DAC usage, I think it is the likelier culprit at this point. The poor rockchip prolly isn't meant for extended 192/24 DAC usage perhaps.

Edit: Brainfarted, I meant the 9028 Pro prolly needs to be housed in a proper external chassis to not throttle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back