FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Dec 18, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #5,117 of 6,207
ok narrowing my options, one of these or dx150? advice please?

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #5,118 of 6,207
Installed the beta firmware of the upcoming update and I have to say, while unstable, it's still a huge improvement when it comes to the usability of the default music app. Fiio Music has been overhauled completely and updatable as well as having much more functions including WIFI transfer, remote device control and more. Viper effect is gone though, and I haven't found a way to EQ yet with the new app. Also gone is the home bar on the bottom of the screen. Now you just swipe up to go home, two finger swipe up to go to task manager, making the screen feel much bigger without that bat on the bottom.

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #5,119 of 6,207
Installed the beta firmware of the upcoming update and I have to say, while unstable, it's still a huge improvement when it comes to the usability of the default music app. Fiio Music has been overhauled completely and updatable as well as having much more functions including WIFI transfer, remote device control and more. Viper effect is gone though, and I haven't found a way to EQ yet with the new app. Also gone is the home bar on the bottom of the screen. Now you just swipe up to go home, two finger swipe up to go to task manager, making the screen feel much bigger without that bat on the bottom.

Would you like to share the beta version? And does the internal memory is 4gb now or still 1gb? Thank you.

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #5,120 of 6,207

Viper effect is gone? I hope not. I use it a lot!!

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #5,123 of 6,207
First and foremost this is a BETA FIRMWARE, errors are expected, including random crashes. It's a late beta so it's been stable enough for me but I still encounter random crashes in the official music app. 3rd party apps are not affected, including Neutron, etc.

After installation, the system partition remains at 2GB, not the 4GB we saw with 1.0.7JP. I personally flashed from 1.0.7 back to 1.0.6, and then upgraded to the beta firmware, so I encountered a system wipe, perhaps others can chime in on whether it will wipe or not (I highly doubt it will clear system since it's only an OTA update).

Please BACKUP your important documents, music, settings, etc. I am in no way affiliated with Fiio and I do not and cannot provide any warranty in regards to this firmware. At worst, you will have to use the System Update tool to flash back to 1.0.6.

Regarding Fiio Link: The feature allows you to control the X7ii with your phone or other android device running Fiio Music. Currently with the latest 1.0.7 (version number for Fiio Music), only the M6 is unlocked to enjoy this feature. It's in the description that in the next app update, other android based players will be unlocked as well. Using iOS as a host is still under development. Good thing is that the default music app is no longer tied to system update, so it can be updated via the Google Play store without new firmware.

This beta OTA firmware was compiled last weekend, and supposedly official release will be at the end of the month. To install it, download the OTA update, transfer it to your device via USB, and update manually via the support app.

I get all my information from reading various Chinese forums and as well as chatting with support in Chinese. If you find any of these information useful for you, please like this post.

Thank you.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/minofnacjxjhdb3/X7II-ota-20181215.zip/file

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #5,125 of 6,207
First and foremost this is a BETA FIRMWARE, errors are expected, including random crashes. It's a late beta so it's been stable enough for me but I still encounter random crashes in the official music app. 3rd party apps are not affected, including Neutron, etc.

After installation, the system partition remains at 2GB, not the 4GB we saw with 1.0.7JP. I personally flashed from 1.0.7 back to 1.0.6, and then upgraded to the beta firmware, so I encountered a system wipe, perhaps others can chime in on whether it will wipe or not (I highly doubt it will clear system since it's only an OTA update).

Please BACKUP your important documents, music, settings, etc. I am in no way affiliated with Fiio and I do not and cannot provide any warranty in regards to this firmware. At worst, you will have to use the System Update tool to flash back to 1.0.6.

Regarding Fiio Link: The feature allows you to control the X7ii with your phone or other android device running Fiio Music. Currently with the latest 1.0.7 (version number for Fiio Music), only the M6 is unlocked to enjoy this feature. It's in the description that in the next app update, other android based players will be unlocked as well. Using iOS as a host is still under development. Good thing is that the default music app is no longer tied to system update, so it can be updated via the Google Play store without new firmware.

This beta OTA firmware was compiled last weekend, and supposedly official release will be at the end of the month. To install it, download the OTA update, transfer it to your device via USB, and update manually via the support app.

I get all my information from reading various Chinese forums and as well as chatting with support in Chinese. If you find any of these information useful for you, please like this post.

Thank you.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/minofnacjxjhdb3/X7II-ota-20181215.zip/file

Thanks for your reply, what a pity that the internal memory is still at 2Gb which is really not sufficient in my opinion. Maybe I'll wait for the Japanese one.

Thanks again for your sharing.

Dec 20, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #5,126 of 6,207
I'd like to test the beta as well. Fiio offered it before, but never reponded to my request. If it's possible to share a link, thanks....
Dear friend,

We checked again and we did not receive your PM. You could try the beta firmware the other user provided.
If you have any feedback, please feel free to contact us. Thanks in advanced.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #5,127 of 6,207
Well, @haoyuan did give me the hint: "This is an OTA update". So I thought that the rom should be similar to the Japanese firmware, the only different is using the flash tool it can change the program partition size (2gb or 4gb whatever the flash tool used).

So, long story short: I did flash the beta OTA over the Japanese firmware and...it works as I guess. Now with 4gb program partition and 20181215 beta rom. I like the idea of removing the navigation bar, we have more room for screen, but the back function is quite inconvenient now.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #5,128 of 6,207
tI strongly advise you do not install this beta. I did last night and it's totally unusable. Previous Fiio Music would crash every ten songs or so, this one crashes all the time, after skipping the first song i'm playing, or randomly but i can't use it for more than 5/10 mins before it crashes. When it's crashed it will restart but won't play anymore songs until i reboot the X7. Unusable. (and yes i did a full wipe before installing it)
Too bad as i really like the new Fiio music app, it looks amazing.

I hope Fiio will fix this app one day, that's nice to change it, add nice features, but it's unacceptable to have such an unstable app that can't handle both SD card slots properly (it's more stable when only the slot 1 is used) and won't handle big libraries (i have 12000 Flacs and it makes it slow and crashy, when i go down to 5000 tunes it's better).

That's the reason why i use Neutron who never crashes and handle huge libraries, even when i blend the X7 library with my NAS library, no problem with 60000 songs, rock solid. If Neutron can do it why not Fiio Music ? Fiio engineers should be sent for coding courses to the Neutron developper ?

I'd love to get the X7 out from my drawer more often and use it, but for now i'll return to my Sony WMA1 and A&K SR15, these are stable and a joy to use (but i prefer the X7 sound).

Fiio, PLEASE, fix it !

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #5,129 of 6,207
Honestly Fiio Music is never stable ever in my opinion, since buying it, I have use other music apps.
Only use Fiio Pure mode or Fiio Music app to see how is it, never really use them for listening music due to many weird random errors sometimes.....

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #5,130 of 6,207
Yesterday I received an update from FiiO Music app direct from Google Play. I didn't use the X7II too much after de update, but I think the crashes decreased a little. But the app is not much responsive and fast at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back