FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #376 of 6,207
Thing that excites me about this are the dual SD cards along with balanced and single-ended AM3A in stock. Though, it's a bit too similar to the Gen 1, right down to the rockchip and OS. I'm happy for the people that just entered in this gen, but I think I'll wait for the next on! Happy trails, people!

I have very similar feelings about the RK3188 and Android 5.1 too.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #377 of 6,207
specifically tidal - if I use the tidal 3rd party app, @FiiO will the x5iii and x7ii capture the pure 44.1 stream and process through its DAC without SRC?
Well the X7 doesn't play Tidal well at all. It stutters after a few minutes and doesn't stop after that. Since this uses the same OS I'd wait to hear some reports before purchasing the X7ii. FiiO is suppose to be in contact with Tidal to figure out what's going on with this issue. I've had the X7 for almost 2 years and this has been an issue the entire time I've owned it.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #378 of 6,207
Thing that excites me about this are the dual SD cards along with balanced and single-ended AM3A in stock. Though, it's a bit too similar to the Gen 1, right down to the rockchip and OS. I'm happy for the people that just entered in this gen, but I think I'll wait for the next on! Happy trails, people!
The similarity ends at the chip, this model is a fair upgrade on the original. It has dual SD cards, 2GB RAM, analog volume control, 64GB internal, ships with AM3A (original came with AM1) and most of all upgraded SOUND QUALITY. I can't wait to get my hands on mine.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #379 of 6,207
Well the X7 doesn't play Tidal well at all. It stutters after a few minutes and doesn't stop after that. Since this uses the same OS I'd wait to hear some reports before purchasing the X7ii. FiiO is suppose to be in contact with Tidal to figure out what's going on with this issue. I've had the X7 for almost 2 years and this has been an issue the entire time I've owned it.
Yes, hope X7 II solves all the issues with the original.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #380 of 6,207
Just FYI, the X7ii is also compatible with the K5. It comes with an optional thinner "side plate" for the amp module that allows the X7ii to fit into the dock of the K5. So you just might want to hang on to that K5 for a little while longer. :)
I know that x7 mark 2 work with k5 too, but I don't know what I should do with my K5. =)) last time I bought k5 to be my amp and charged my X7 at home, but right now I already have Schiit Jotunheim.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #381 of 6,207
Hawaiibadboy and other FiiO X7 Mark II owners out there, could you please tell if there is an audible difference between at least 2 or 3 DAC digital filter settings on X7-II? Has anyone tried any DSD files on the DAP, do they sound different from PCM ones?

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #382 of 6,207

Same feeling here. Very curious to hear from people comparing the balanced out of X7 2nd/AM3A to X7 1st/AM3 ...
It seems its coming a new FW to X7 1st, X5 3rd just got it today so we shouldn't wait much more.

Regards

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #383 of 6,207
Hawaiibadboy and other FiiO X7 Mark II owners out there, could you please tell if there is an audible difference between at least 2 or 3 DAC digital filter settings on X7-II? Has anyone tried any DSD files on the DAP, do they sound different from PCM ones?

Screenshot_2017-07-28-20-19-27.png

I don't have any DSD files in .DSD I have DSD converted to .flac

I used to be in Car audio comp's and spent hours of my life fine tuning x-overs and gains. I can hear differences in the decay speed of drum sounds and guitar/bass guitar strings.
They are subtle but they are very very clear to my ears.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #385 of 6,207
I don't have any DSD files in .DSD I have DSD converted to .flac
Thanks for the answer! Actually, the DSD files have .dsf and .dff extension. Sometimes they are packed in .ISO images. Here are some high-quality files, including the dsf ones, which you can download for free. It would be nice if you tried some of them and compared them with the PCM versions available on the same page. I guess, having such quality files in your collection is both enjoyable and beneficial for testing purposes:)
I can hear differences in the decay speed of drum sounds and guitar/bass guitar strings.
They are subtle but they are very very clear to my ears.
Can you write a couple of words about the differences of bass reproduction at different DF settings, is it perceivable?

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #387 of 6,207
I had the fortune of being able to attend FiiO's launch event in Singapore and about 2 hours to audition it at one of the distributors' stores.

Personally enjoyed the X7ii so much that I pre-ordered it in the middle of my audition session and stayed a while longer at the store to listen to more of my favourite songs. It is quite the significant upgrade from my 2-year-old X3ii and the stereo separation is honestly amazing to me. Audio going from channel to channel is also much smoother and cleaner than the X3ii.

Wireless features such as Bluetooth aptX (and the lack of aptX HD) and WiFi don't concern me as much since I still find the compression too glaringly significant when the bitrate is below a quarter of many FLAC files I have. I'd rather deal with having wires more often than not.
I am very likely to only ever use local FLAC files instead of streaming services too, so FiiO's Pure Music mode is excellent enough.

I figure my own music taste likely doesn't match most members at Head-Fi but I'll write my own review of FiiO's X7ii when it arrives in the coming weeks!

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #388 of 6,207
I had the fortune of being able to attend FiiO's launch event in Singapore and about 2 hours to audition it at one of the distributors' stores.

Personally enjoyed the X7ii so much that I pre-ordered it in the middle of my audition session and stayed a while longer at the store to listen to more of my favourite songs. It is quite the significant upgrade from my 2-year-old X3ii and the stereo separation is honestly amazing to me. Audio going from channel to channel is also much smoother and cleaner than the X3ii.

Wireless features such as Bluetooth aptX (and the lack of aptX HD) and WiFi don't concern me as much since I still find the compression too glaringly significant when the bitrate is below a quarter of many FLAC files I have. I'd rather deal with having wires more often than not.
I am very likely to only ever use local FLAC files instead of streaming services too, so FiiO's Pure Music mode is excellent enough.

I figure my own music taste likely doesn't match most members at Head-Fi but I'll write my own review of FiiO's X7ii when it arrives in the coming weeks!

That is the spirit, and it is totally Head-fi! Welcome to our community :D....sorry about your wallet first lol

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #389 of 6,207
That is the spirit, and it is totally Head-fi! Welcome to our community :D....sorry about your wallet first lol
There was this man who was there in the store with me who bought the Chord Dave after auditioning it for around the same duration as I did the X7ii, and I was so so jealous. But yeah, you're right about the state of my wallet for the remaining decades of my lifetime. :laughing:
My drool was likely reflecting the brightest gleam of envy from my eyes at the sight of the Dave.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #390 of 6,207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back