FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #391 of 6,207
Any chance of doing a side-by-side video against the X5 III to compare the responsiveness of the two?

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #392 of 6,207
Thanks for the answer! Actually, the DSD files have .dsf and .dff extension. Sometimes they are packed in .ISO images. Here are some high-quality files, including the dsf ones, which you can download for free. It would be nice if you tried some of them and compared them with the PCM versions available on the same page. I guess, having such quality files in your collection is both enjoyable and beneficial for testing purposes:)

Can you write a couple of words about the differences of bass reproduction at different DF settings, is it perceivable?

I downloaded one of the DSF files and it did not play. It was about a 1.5 gig sized track. I will try another later

The Filter I am using sounds natural and the separation is exceptional. The fundamental and harmonic region of the bass guitar is perfect to my ears without EQ and regardless of whether it is a 12BA IEM or a set of over ears.
Bass guitar is what I set my EQ's by usually and do not EQ other regions of the spectrum. I do not need an EQ for this device.

All the other filters sound less impressive and real. If I tried to describe the varying levels I would be making crap up. They are definitely different and sound unique.
My advice would be to play the same track on loop 20 times at least (I have O.C.D) and let your ears decide.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #393 of 6,207
I downloaded one of the DSF files and it did not play. It was about a 1.5 gig sized track. I will try another later

The Filter I am using sounds natural and the separation is exceptional. The fundamental and harmonic region of the bass guitar is perfect to my ears without EQ and regardless of whether it is a 12BA IEM or a set of over ears.
Bass guitar is what I set my EQ's by usually and do not EQ other regions of the spectrum. I do not need an EQ for this device.

All the other filters sound less impressive and real. If I tried to describe the varying levels I would be making **** up. They are definitely different and sound unique.
My advice would be to play the same track on loop 20 times at least (I have O.C.D) and let your ears decide.

Great source for quality DSD test tracks: https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx - a few songs by David Elias offered from Oppo in different formats for comparison.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #394 of 6,207
specifically tidal - if I use the tidal 3rd party app, @FiiO will the x5iii and x7ii capture the pure 44.1 stream and process through its DAC without SRC?
Please refer to my mention about third-party app on X5 3rd.
I received the following reply.

"If you want to play the 24bit audio, please try to convert 24bit PCM to 32bit (unsigned int) PCM, then use auidotrack to play it. "

I have created a simple Android application. And I was able to native-playback 24bit/ 192kHz wav file.
However, since the program requires a audio-format constant that is not an Android standard API, it is implemented exclusively for X5 3rd. For that reason, general third-party applications are considered to require implementation exclusively for X5 3rd. This is hopeless.
I'm confirming detailed program with the the FiiO.
I will keep updated with the progress of this issue.

General third-party App are considered to require implementation exclusively for X5 3rd. Tidal App is the same as that too.

The following special implementation is required
· Convert 24bit to 32bit(unsigned int) by programmaticaly
· Specify nonstandard Android API audio format constants for AudioTrack

General source code to convert from 24bit to 32bit is an implementation like the link below.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36631967/24-to-32-bit-conversion-in-java

The following is a part of concrete code that specifies a nonstandard Android API audio format.
Code:
int SamplingRate = 192000;
int audioFormat = 10; // X5 3rd Custom AudioFormat. Nonstandard API audio format constants
int bufSize = android.media.AudioTrack.getMinBufferSize(SamplingRate, AudioFormat.CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO, audioFormat);

Unless FiiO directly give info the developer of third-party App to implement such an program, third-party app with such an implementation does not exist in the world.
I think that same for X7 mark II.
FiiO is very passive and not positive about this issue, .
We shouldn't get your hopes up that 24bit native-playback in third-party App.

Sorry, This issue applies to Tidal 24-bit 96kHz master-quality streaming.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #395 of 6,207
I downloaded one of the DSF files and it did not play. It was about a 1.5 gig sized track. I will try another later.

FiiO X7 Mark II only allow Stereo DSD64 and Stereo DSD128. Not allow Stereo DSD256 or higher. Also not allow multichannel files or compressed DST files.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #396 of 6,207
Please refer to my mention about third-party app on X5 3rd.

General third-party App are considered to require implementation exclusively for X5 3rd. Tidal App is the same as that too.

The following special implementation is required
· Convert 24bit to 32bit(unsigned int) by programmaticaly
· Specify nonstandard Android API audio format constants for AudioTrack

General source code to convert from 24bit to 32bit is an implementation like the link below.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36631967/24-to-32-bit-conversion-in-java

The following is a part of concrete code that specifies a nonstandard Android API audio format.
Code:
int SamplingRate = 192000;
int audioFormat = 10; // X5 3rd Custom AudioFormat. Nonstandard API audio format constants
int bufSize = android.media.AudioTrack.getMinBufferSize(SamplingRate, AudioFormat.CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO, audioFormat);

Unless FiiO directly give info the developer of third-party App to implement such an program, third-party app with such an implementation does not exist in the world.
I think that same for X7 mark II.
FiiO is very passive and not positive about this issue, .
We shouldn't get your hopes up that 24bit native-playback in third-party App.

Sorry, This issue applies to Tidal 24-bit 96kHz master-quality streaming.

Thank you very much for sharing this info with us.

I'd like to kindly contest what you said about Fiio position towards it, I know that they contacted at least a few developers out there to improve third part app support. Not every single developer is extremely open and implementing those new features can take lots of testing and support from both parties.

While I'm not affiliated with Fiio in any way, I do like that they are trying. Hopefully, they will manage to get the best results possible for us, the customers!

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #397 of 6,207
Thank you very much for sharing this info with us.

I'd like to kindly contest what you said about Fiio position towards it, I know that they contacted at least a few developers out there to improve third part app support. Not every single developer is extremely open and implementing those new features can take lots of testing and support from both parties.

While I'm not affiliated with Fiio in any way, I do like that they are trying. Hopefully, they will manage to get the best results possible for us, the customers!
And I'll kindly contest what you said about them contacting developers. The developer for UAPP contacted them several times trying to fix a compatibility issue between UAPP and the X7 and they never got back with him.

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #398 of 6,207
Well the X7 doesn't play Tidal well at all. It stutters after a few minutes and doesn't stop after that. Since this uses the same OS I'd wait to hear some reports before purchasing the X7ii. FiiO is suppose to be in contact with Tidal to figure out what's going on with this issue. I've had the X7 for almost 2 years and this has been an issue the entire time I've owned it.

So I guess folks like me are still outta luck then? Have to continue stacking a DAC amp with an ios device if we want offline tidal without src?

I currently stack my Android with fiio e17k and the upsampling yields a slight loss in audible quality opposed to using the DAC with a PC or Mac where no src takes place.

Comments and opinions very welcome here.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #399 of 6,207
And I'll kindly contest what you said about them contacting developers. The developer for UAPP contacted them several times trying to fix a compatibility issue between UAPP and the X7 and they never got back with him.

Woah, I had no idea about that.

I remember them contacting a few devs in the past, let's hope that they will also sort things out with the developer of UAPP sometime soon!

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #401 of 6,207
20170729_215043_001[1].jpg

Took me a long time to go back to mike. He kinda went off the rails. Needed more support and less pills.
All that talent...

Boot up/down almost the same

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #405 of 6,207

Took me a long time to go back to mike. He kinda went off the rails. Needed more support and less pills.
All that talent...

Boot up/down almost the same

So now you're a balanced guy (pun intended) and thanks for the comparison. I have never asked you for one just to be clear :p
And yes your hands speak perfectly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back