FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Dec 19, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,421 of 6,207
The digital out works however the USB seems not to. Is there something in the settings that I'm missing or is this just a known defect with the X7? Granted I I would probably never use the X7 to Mojo as my listening source however I seem to remember a few reviews where there wasn't an issue using the X7 as a transport.

I also tried to connect it via USB OTG to my Oppo HA-2 and it didn't work either. Has anyone else experienced an issue with USB OTG?

I don't have the original X7 on my hand, but I don't think USB OTG for a transport, works, but I am absolutely sure that it works as a transport using its digital out. since it has a dedicated digital out, it will probably sound better than the USB OTG anyways.

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #3,423 of 6,207
I don't have the original X7 on my hand, but I don't think USB OTG for a transport, works, but I am absolutely sure that it works as a transport using its digital out. since it has a dedicated digital out, it will probably sound better than the USB OTG anyways.

Sorry, I probably should have clarified, this is for the X7 mk 2 and not the original. I also had some issues with using it as a standalone DAC from my iMAC. I thought I saw someone having similar issues with the High Sierra OS but wondering if that is a prevalent issue.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #3,424 of 6,207
Sorry, I probably should have clarified, this is for the X7 mk 2 and not the original. I also had some issues with using it as a standalone DAC from my iMAC. I thought I saw someone having similar issues with the High Sierra OS but wondering if that is a prevalent issue.

I'll test if my X7mkii can use an OTG function to provide transport to something, just for fun!

As for using it as a DAC from MAC, I honestly don't have any idea how to help, I have a lot of things in Windows and Android flavor, but no MAC.

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #3,425 of 6,207

How could one sound better than the other? Both are outputting a digital signal which is in turn converted to analog by the same target DAC.

So how (exactly) would one sound better?

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #3,426 of 6,207
I'll test if my X7mkii can use an OTG function to provide transport to something, just for fun!

It works perfectly with the Q1ii via USB out - using Neutron as the player (app).

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #3,427 of 6,207
That would require an accelerometer which the X7ii doesn’t have. Neither does it have an ambient light sensor. I believe the original X7 had both but were heavily under-utilised and undervalued so FiiO cut them this time around. Something they could consider is double tap to wake but that would require keeping the digitiser on at all times which may prevent deep sleep on that SoC. I suspect we’ll see more of this kind of stuff in future generations if and when FiiO is able to change SoC manufacturer. At the moment they simply don’t produce enough volume to allow them to buy from the likes of Qualcomm (who have minimum order quantities in the tens of thousands).

Wow. Thank you for ur info. I’ve learn new things. Hehe

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #3,428 of 6,207
Guys, I wonder does ur AM5 module actually has a “click click” sound when the X7 mk2 is turn on/ off, charge and play music?

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #3,429 of 6,207
Guys, I wonder does ur AM5 module actually has a “click click” sound when the X7 mk2 is turn on/ off, charge and play music?

Yes it does.

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #3,431 of 6,207
May I know if there will be any side effect? @FiiO is the “click click” sound normal?
I think it's a relay inside making noise. Nothing to worry about unless you hear clicking noise through HPs.

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #3,432 of 6,207
How could one sound better than the other? Both are outputting a digital signal which is in turn converted to analog by the same target DAC.

So how (exactly) would one sound better?

Yesterday I met a person who insisted that the same file played from CD and from HDD might sound different, for the same file exactly, so I'm really trying to give everything the option to sound true.

I think that, if everything said in all the papers is true, the Digital out should have better clocks or something like that, while the OTG isn't affected by those. I think they were named timers, or anti-jitter, I noticed that a lot of DAPs feature the signal passing through those before going to coaux, while this isn't true for OTG.

Whether this is audible or not, I still need to test, this is why I went with *probably* there.

What I can say though is that the digital out is much more trusty that the OTG out, at least for me. Looks like it would last better to usage, with the shape of the connectors looking like that, while OTG might place strain on the connector in just one direction, and it might be less resistant to strain. I hadn't had either break on me, but just saying, I like how the co-ax feels much better.

So while that might remain in the *probably* territory, the fact that the connectors shape and reliability is better in the long run, is kinda true.

I'm not sure if Mojo accepts a digital input instead of OTG.

It works perfectly with the Q1ii via USB out - using Neutron as the player (app).

Thank you for testing! Good to know that this works!

I wonder if it works the other way aruound from Android, like connecting my phone and having X7mkii play the role of an external DAC DAC/AMP

May I know if there will be any side effect? @FiiO is the “click click” sound normal?

That is normal, only relays inside making that noise, they are making sure that you don't get a feedback that might break your headphones. Really good protection mechanism put in place by FiiO there.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #3,433 of 6,207
Deleted (foot in the mouth)

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #3,434 of 6,207
Yesterday I met a person who insisted that the same file played from CD and from HDD might sound different, for the same file exactly, so I'm really trying to give everything the option to sound true.

I think that, if everything said in all the papers is true, the Digital out should have better clocks or something like that, while the OTG isn't affected by those. I think they were named timers, or anti-jitter, I noticed that a lot of DAPs feature the signal passing through those before going to coaux, while this isn't true for OTG.

Whether this is audible or not, I still need to test, this is why I went with *probably* there.

What I can say though is that the digital out is much more trusty that the OTG out, at least for me. Looks like it would last better to usage, with the shape of the connectors looking like that, while OTG might place strain on the connector in just one direction, and it might be less resistant to strain. I hadn't had either break on me, but just saying, I like how the co-ax feels much better.

So while that might remain in the *probably* territory, the fact that the connectors shape and reliability is better in the long run, is kinda true.

I'm not sure if Mojo accepts a digital input instead of OTG.

Thank you for testing! Good to know that this works!

I wonder if it works the other way aruound from Android, like connecting my phone and having X7mkii play the role of an external DAC DAC/AMP

That is normal, only relays inside making that noise, they are making sure that you don't get a feedback that might break your headphones. Really good protection mechanism put in place by FiiO there.

Thank you so much George! Always that helpful of u.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #3,435 of 6,207
I think it's a relay inside making noise. Nothing to worry about unless you hear clicking noise through HPs.

Okok. Thank you so much Giraku! Thank you for helping me always

Users who are viewing this thread

Back