FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Nov 17, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #2,881 of 6,207
It has a line out as well.

Hi @harpo1
Yes, but not an option, unfortunately the Questyle CMA400i (QS) doesn't have analogue inputs, only digital.

So I have the option of coaxial out or optical. I think (nor sure yet) that QS only processes DSD on the USB input, so how should I configure X7 to play DSD files over coaxial, DOP or D2P ?

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,883 of 6,207
Hey everyone,

Can anyone comment on the sound quality differences of the Fiio X7 M2 compared to the AK380 with amp?

Significant step down or not?

Can the Fiio drive big cans like the LCD3?

Thanks.
I don't have AK380, but X7mk2 easily rivals SP1000Cu, to me. This probably suggests that it would be no significant step down from AK380.
I love my X7mk2/AM5 combo because of the powerful amp that drives HE1kv2 and HD800S. Again, this may imply that FiiO can drive LCD3 if you use AM5 module.
That said, I still prefer the matching between Hugo 2 and HE1kv2.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #2,884 of 6,207
I don't have AK380, but X7mk2 easily rivals SP1000Cu, to me. This probably suggests that it would be no significant step down from AK380.
I love my X7mk2/AM5 combo because of the powerful amp that drives HE1kv2 and HD800S. Again, this may imply that FiiO can drive LCD3 if you use AM5 module.

Interesting, thanks.

How’d you find driving your HE1 & HD800s with the stock amp, the AM3a, particularly out of the balanced connection?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #2,885 of 6,207
Interesting, thanks.

How’d you find driving your HE1 & HD800s with the stock amp, the AM3a, particularly out of the balanced connection?
When I first got my X7mk2, I tried many HPs with single end and balanced. I found that AM3A didn't have enough oomph to drive those cans that are known to be relatively hard to drive.
Even for the cans with low impedance (e.g. Tribute 7, Jubilee 25, etc.), they sounded a bit lean. In my opinion, AM3A is geared towards IEMs not for full size cans.
When driving full size cans, X7mk2 really shines with AM5 amp module. Yes, AM5 does not provide balanced connection. But I'm really happy with unbalanced connection with AM5. So musical and organic.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,886 of 6,207
When I first got my X7mk2, I tried many HPs with single end and balanced. I found that AM3A didn't have enough oomph to drive those cans that are known to be relatively hard to drive.
Even for the cans with low impedance (e.g. Tribute 7, Jubilee 25, etc.), they sounded a bit lean. In my opinion, AM3A is geared towards IEMs not for full size cans.
When driving full size cans, X7mk2 really shines with AM5 amp module. Yes, AM5 does not provide balanced connection. But I'm really happy with unbalanced connection with AM5. So musical and organic.

Thanks. Really appreciate your feedback.

It’s interesting they don’t have a balanced option on their highest powered amp, perhaps just an issue of room? Still, always something they could add in the future.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,887 of 6,207
Thanks. Really appreciate your feedback.

It’s interesting they don’t have a balanced option on their highest powered amp, perhaps just an issue of room? Still, always something they could add in the future.

Indeed, AM5 is the choice for big cans, compared with AM3A single ended it wins in almost every categorie, not only in power.
I've resumed all amps side by side for easier comparison

FiiO_X7_Amps.JPG

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,889 of 6,207
Indeed, AM5 is the choice for big cans, compared with AM3A single ended it wins in almost every categorie, not only in power.
I've resumed all amps side by side for easier comparison

Thank you for the table. Very useful.
If you really want balanced connection for full size cans, AM3 should work much better than AM3A, seems like.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,891 of 6,207
For anyone who would buy a X7II I suggest getting an AM5 along, well worth the money. It really turn X7II into a different beast.
Much, much better than the stock amp in balanced or none balanced even with IEM or Headphones.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,892 of 6,207
Sorry, I´m german and I don´t understand your last words. Have you tried X7ii with Hugo 2? And what make Hugo2 better with Fiio X7ii? Thanks for your reply

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,893 of 6,207
Sorry, I´m german and I don´t understand your last words. Have you tried X7ii with Hugo 2? And what make Hugo2 better with Fiio X7ii? Thanks for your reply
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant that in order to drive my HE1kv2 I prefer using Hugo 2 to using X7mk2. I don’t use X7mk2 connected to Hugo 2 at all. Hugo 2 simply has better driving power as well as sound quality compared with X7mk2 when comes to HE1kv2.

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #2,895 of 6,207
@FiiO ,

Just noticed last night that the google play music app supports side buttons now, but there's an issue with implementation. When running only the fiio player, when I hit the skip song button play music launches and starts playing from it's history forcing fiio to background with no output. This happened with screen locked, but think I may have had luck with fiio app on screen and having killed the play music app again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back