FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Oct 1, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,312 of 6,207
I just tried to downgrade manually from firmware 1.0.3 to 1.0.1 (I could not find 1.0.2 on the Fiio website).

The downgrade failed when I tried to install it via the technical support app / local update.

I received an error that this update cannot be installed over a newer build.

So apparently there is no way to downgrade?

@FiiO : is there a way to downgrade firmware? And is there a problem with changing digital filters in firmware 1.0.3 when using Tidal or is it my ears today / my headphone that I"m using today or some other issue?

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,313 of 6,207
I just tried to downgrade manually from firmware 1.0.3 to 1.0.1 (I could not find 1.0.2 on the Fiio website).

The downgrade failed when I tried to install it via the technical support app / local update.

I received an error that this update cannot be installed over a newer build.

So apparently there is no way to downgrade?

@FiiO : is there a way to downgrade firmware? And is there a problem with changing digital filters in firmware 1.0.3 when using Tidal or is it my ears today / my headphone that I"m using today or some other issue?
You need to do it on a windows pc via the firmware tool. Do a search on this thread for the tool.

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #2,314 of 6,207
I don't care what the name of the magazine or site is, X7mkii is a 4.5 to 5 stars out of 5, there just isn't much to fault with it, especially with its awesome sound. Considering all the other DAPs around, I don't feel that X7mkii is overpriced at all.

What I find a bit strange in the What Hifi review is that they say the sound quality is about the same level as AK70 but they only give it three stars because it is more expensive and this can"t be justified.

In the UK the AK70 is about 500 pounds and the X7 II is currently 599, so the difference is 100 pounds. On the other hand, you get full Google Play Store support, that is support for all music streaming apps, which the AK70 does not have. Also, they did not state which digital filter they used in testing and there is no comparison of single ended and balanced out in the text. A pretty poor review, IMO.

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,317 of 6,207
You need to do it on a windows pc via the firmware tool. Do a search on this thread for the tool.

But that would mean erasing all files on the FiiO including all apps and music. :frowning2:
That is a lot of time required just to check whether downgrading has an effect on my digital filter issue.

There is really no other way to downgrade? I remember on FiiO X3 it was just a matter of copying the firmware version file to the micro SD card and you could downgrade.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #2,318 of 6,207
But that would mean erasing all files oon the FiiO including all apps and music That is a lot of time required just to check whether downgrading has an effect on my digital filter issue.

There is really no other way to downgrade? I remember on FiiO X3 it was just a matter of renaming the firmware version file to the micro SD card and you could downgrade.
Nope the tool is the only way.

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,319 of 6,207
What I find a bit strange in the What Hifi review is that they say the sound quality is about the same level as AK70 but they only give it three stars because it is more expensive and this can"t be justified.

In the UK the AK70 is about 500 pounds and the X7 II is currently 599, so the difference is 100 pounds. On the other hand, you get full Google Play Store support, that is support for all music streaming apps, which the AK70 does not have. Also, they did not state which digital filter they used in testing and there is no comparison of single ended and balanced out in the text. A pretty poor review, IMO.

Just talking about the DACs themselves, I don't think that ESS's top of the line, desktop DAC is exactly at the same level with cs4398, not to mention that with X7mkii you can try more than the default AMP module, so a fair review would probably test more than AM03A, if AM03A proves to be underwhelming.

Keeping this in mind, DX200 is a very fair DAP to compare to X7mkii since both rely on multiple AMP cards and both can change their signatures if the user wants to.

I don't say that the AK one isn't good or up to the task - I haven't heard it - I'm just saying that I doubt X7mkii can ever be considered overpriced, especially since it comes with a ton of features - even coaux out and a nice Android implementation.

Thank you!

That is really really handy!

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,320 of 6,207
But that would mean erasing all files on the FiiO including all apps and music. :frowning2:
That is a lot of time required just to check whether downgrading has an effect on my digital filter issue.

There is really no other way to downgrade? I remember on FiiO X3 it was just a matter of copying the firmware version file to the micro SD card and you could downgrade.

The filter is applied at the DAC firmware level and applies to all digital-to-analog conversion on the player, regardless of app or type of file. So you would get the issue on all players if it was broken. However, as others have said the distinction between the filters is so minimal it's likely you're just not noticing the difference.

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,321 of 6,207
Testing, testing 1,2,3....

FiiO X7ii and Opus#3 IMG_6542.JPG IMG_6543.JPG

(A bit dark in this cafe, sorry)

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2,322 of 6,207
To my ears (and measuring rig), they're very, very small. All seven filter options here:

A couple of possible explanations:

1) The filters somehow have zero effect when the X7ii is used as a USB DAC (see the mains glitch in the above!). I had some communications with Paul (from iBasso) about this and there was some suggestion this might be the case. Not sure why USB DAC mode would disable the effect of these filters, but that's a possibility I heard from a DAP manufacturer that uses the same DAC chip as the X7ii.
2) These filters aren't supposed to have much/any effect on FR, but rather on the pre-/post-ringing from an impulse response.

In either case, the differences are just a bit too subtle for my ears.
Maybe the filters are a function of the DAC?

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,323 of 6,207
Maybe the filters are a function of the DAC?

The filters are definitely a function of the DAC chip - and they are extremely minor in variation. I can't hear a difference, and often wondered why other people supposedly could. Csglinux's graph shows why really.

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #2,325 of 6,207
The SoC is the same so you'd expect the same behavior but I couldn't say for certain. I know that my X7ii has been slightly unhappy resuming playback on card 2 when asleep. I noticed I have to hit play, wait a bit, then hit play again. Even then it restarts from the beginning of the file. It's not world ending but it annoying.
I'm noticing that this happens consistently when resuming a paused track (SDCARD 2) from sleep. This seems to happen with any app other than Foobar2000 Mobile which purposely delays resuming playback from sleep to prevent this problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back