FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Oct 1, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #2,281 of 6,207
IMG_4940.JPG
@damex

x7 can output optical. you will need a specific cable though. will be extra expense. i suggest go for cheaper dap with optical out like ibasso dx80. invest remaining in cable from moon audio or other manufacturers.
Mine had a cable of sorts included.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #2,282 of 6,207
You already have X7 II and you want to use it as a storage brick to PHA3?
Chris (Hawaiibadboy) big fan of PHA3 sold it as soon as he got X7 II, the balanced output quality of X7 II is that good.....I think it's an achievement of X7 II making Chris sell his PHA3:)
i have pha3 and i am thinking about getting x7 mk2 as a storage brick :)

imho personal audio is subjective.

i borrowed pha3 from time to time since 2016 and recently managed get a new one for around 570$~. can't be more happy.

i tried x7 mk2 locally (yeah, we have local fiio resellers) and result is good but i still could hear 'background noise/static noise/call it something' with sensitive IEMs (yeah, probably will be better if i get amp which specific to iems) which drove me nuts.

but again. software issues? i could not make demo x7 mk2 (older firmware) pair with pha3 over usb. i mean i could not pair x7 mk2 demo with any device over usb.

that is one of the reasons i would want to use it with pha3.
other one is that it sounds different from sony's full fledged amp. would prefer sony amp any day. i like their implementations and how they sound.

i would still prefer to use it with pha3 due to versatility and being dead silent.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #2,284 of 6,207
Is it? Cant wait to hear it. Such affordable amp with this sound quality?

Have you tried it with other dacs? This phenomenon should be consistent with dacs from other brands as well.

Yep - I've used it with most of my other gear - thats why I know its transparent. I'm surprised you were writing it off without hearing it ......

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #2,286 of 6,207
Hi , can i use this cable with the Fiio's X7 II coax cable to connect to my dac (RCA out) Thanks in advance : https://www.amazon.fr/KabelDirekt-Câble-Cinch-fiche-fiches/dp/B00FQK34S4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506839890&sr=8-2&keywords=2+rca

No that cable wouldn't be useful at all for you. The X7ii's coax cable is digital and RCA cables are analog. If you want to connect the X7ii to an external DAC you will need to either use a coaxial cable with the included adaptor (https://www.amazon.fr/Digital-Audio...&ie=UTF8&qid=1506846838&sr=1-19&keywords=coax) or an optical/TOSLINK cable that terminates at micro on one end and full on the other (https://www.amazon.fr/KabelDirekt-0...e=UTF8&qid=1506846889&sr=1-5&keywords=toslink). If you want to connect to an external amp that accepts RCA as an input, you would need something like https://www.amazon.fr/Victeck-Tress...UTF8&qid=1506846951&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+3.5mm. Also remember that depending on what output you use, you will need to select the correct setting in the X7ii's pull-down menu. (Also note I do not speak French so the links I gave are only best guess!)

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #2,287 of 6,207
i tried x7 mk2 locally (yeah, we have local fiio resellers) and result is good but i still could hear 'background noise/static noise/call it something' with sensitive IEMs (yeah, probably will be better if i get amp which specific to iems) which drove me nuts.

I would be curious to know which IEMs you used. I have SE846s which are rather sensitive, and although I can hear background hiss it is so minimal I have to strain to hear it even when there is silence.

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #2,288 of 6,207
No that cable wouldn't be useful at all for you. The X7ii's coax cable is digital and RCA cables are analog. If you want to connect the X7ii to an external DAC you will need to either use a coaxial cable with the included adaptor (https://www.amazon.fr/Digital-Audio-Plaqués-Plaqué-Cinch/dp/B00PXYG0ZM/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506846838&sr=1-19&keywords=coax) or an optical/TOSLINK cable that terminates at micro on one end and full on the other (https://www.amazon.fr/KabelDirekt-0-5m-Câble-Optique-Toslink/dp/B00SWYU92U/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506846889&sr=1-5&keywords=toslink). If you want to connect to an external amp that accepts RCA as an input, you would need something like https://www.amazon.fr/Victeck-Tressé-Stéréo-Auxiliaire-Plaqués/dp/B072V3WLMJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506846951&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+3.5mm. Also remember that depending on what output you use, you will need to select the correct setting in the X7ii's pull-down menu. (Also note I do not speak French so the links I gave are only best guess!)
Thank you very much , the problem is my DAC don't have coax nor optical input ! OK will try to connect to my desktop head amp . Cheers:beerchug: :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #2,289 of 6,207
Yep - I've used it with most of my other gear - thats why I know its transparent. I'm surprised you were writing it off without hearing it ......

I have owned or used extensively previous 2 generations of the said amp. In 3 rd gen they have leapfrogged that much while keeping price same?

I need to check it out. Though different ppl have different expectations for neutrality and transparancy. What is perfectly transparent to you might not be good enough for me.

I want simply the best industry has to offer. So i dont really have too high hopes.

Ppl criticise x5 cause its amature hp out. It barely sounds better that smarphone. I suggest try its line out into competent amp. You can forget you are listening to recorded music.

I doubt fiio has made amp upto that level yet.

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #2,290 of 6,207
Hi All

I have a couple of questions about connecting a Chord Mojo to the X7ii.

Firstly, which is the best way to connect it and secondly, what improvements should I expect?

Regards

Darren

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #2,291 of 6,207
Hi All

I have a couple of questions about connecting a Chord Mojo to the X7ii.

Firstly, which is the best way to connect it and secondly, what improvements should I expect?

Regards

Darren

Use coaxial. You will need cable with 2 pole (mojo side) and 4 pole (x7 side) connectors. Available on penon.com for cheap. Or buy fancy ones from boutique makers for 100-150$.

Both would be roughly comparable. Its like comparing hd800 to t1. Both are high level products. One does some things better and vice versa. Best you listen and choose which you like better.

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #2,292 of 6,207
I have owned or used extensively previous 2 generations of the said amp. In 3 rd gen they have leapfrogged that much while keeping price same?

I need to check it out. Though different ppl have different expectations for neutrality and transparancy. What is perfectly transparent to you might not be good enough for me.

I want simply the best industry has to offer. So i dont really have too high hopes.

Ppl criticise x5 cause its amature hp out. It barely sounds better that smarphone. I suggest try its line out into competent amp. You can forget you are listening to recorded music.

The A5 is really quite different from both the E12 and E12A. I've owned all three and can honestly say the A5 is a huge improvement on an already competent series. You may not like the E12 which is fine, but that's a preference rather than an indictment on the product.

As for your last part about not sounding better than a smartphone... Wuuuuut?

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #2,293 of 6,207

I say this with my Moderator cap half on :wink:

Posting guidelines -
Please don't recommend or post reviews of equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with. You wouldn't recommend someone a car you've never driven or suggest someone live in a country you haven't been to, so recommending headphones and equipment you haven't owned or used is unhelpful. Even if you've seen the same comments about something from a dozen members, save discussion of that if you're intending to buy it yourself. Likewise, People use the reviews in the Head Gear section to decide what product to buy, and brief impressions or comments by people who don't own a product (or at least haven't had it in their possession for a sufficient amount of time) are unhelpful.

Similarly, please avoid trashing equipment you haven't used or aren't familiar with. Having doubts about something you see in a design is fair enough, but to quote Robert Pirsig: "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." It is quite possible to derive satisfaction from listening with any audio gear as much from your appreciation of the design (whether how it looks or how it measures) as much as how it reproduces music. No method of appreciation is "wrong".

I know you weren't trashing the A5, but you were making statements about it with no experience of it.

I agree - some people's idea of what is neutral is to me quite coloured. Because I not only listen, but also measure - I'd like to think I know what neutral and transparent mean. If we differ, then we have different points of view. But I meant it when I said this was literally wire with gain. I never heard the E12 or E12A, so I won't comment on those.

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #2,294 of 6,207
I would be curious to know which IEMs you used. I have SE846s which are rather sensitive, and although I can hear background hiss it is so minimal I have to strain to hear it even when there is silence.
shure 846, fiio ex1(not sure why, they not as sensitive) and westone w60.
I can hear background hiss clearly ;(

Ps it does not pass through my definitions of good/decent output if it does have such noise...

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #2,295 of 6,207
Basically i would get x7 mk2 if fiio manage to fix broken usb-audio (yeah, they use android but no sources are released as obligation to follow gpl and we do not care anymore. Just fix issue and be done)... sadly probabl fiio do not care enough . As far as i know fiio x5 gen3 is in the same boat with broken usb audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back