FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,266 of 6,207
Could you not stack with a FiiO A5 or similar, for harder to drive headphones at home? I've asked that question before and was told it doesn't alter the sound, other than adding power.

Yes you absolutely could do that and it makes sense to if you want to drive the big boys and still get decent battery life. That being said, I tested straight from the X7 out of sheer curiousity and was pleasantly surprised.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #2,267 of 6,207
Don't go for an iBasso DAP. I've had three DX200. The first one I sold to fund something else. The second developed and screen fault after two weeks and the third arrived with the Wi-Fi not working. That's 66% failure rate.

To be fair you should provide full disclosure on your (lack of) reasonings. You sold the first one to "fund something else" which is in itself no reason to not buy a DX200. Your second DX200 with the hardware problem is fixable but the "screen fault" was a known issue in the first batch release of devices. If someone were to perchance come across this now with a new unit it would be fully covered by warranty. Your 3rd DX200 was a returned "open box" unit thru some shady 3rd party retailer with a firmware mod (Lurker0 mod which is solid) installed and apparent Wifi connectivity problem, according to your posts in the DX200 thread.

Just wanted to clarify your statement because really getting a X7ii or a DX200 are both good choices.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #2,268 of 6,207
You said "some shady 3rd party retailer". It was, as previously stated, bought from Advancedmp3players.co.uk, whom I have been dealing with for a number of years without issue. They are in fact the only iBasso retailer in the UK.

Replacing the Lurker firmware with the latest stock version did not fix the wi-fi problem. I never thought it would, just wanted to satisfy myself I had done all I could before returning it.

I do, however, agree that both the FiiO X7ii and iBasso DX200 are good choices regarding sound quality.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #2,269 of 6,207
To be fair you should provide full disclosure on your (lack of) reasonings. You sold the first one to "fund something else" which is in itself no reason to not buy a DX200. Your second DX200 with the hardware problem is fixable but the "screen fault" was a known issue in the first batch release of devices. If someone were to perchance come across this now with a new unit it would be fully covered by warranty. Your 3rd DX200 was a returned "open box" unit thru some shady 3rd party retailer with a firmware mod (Lurker0 mod which is solid) installed and apparent Wifi connectivity problem, according to your posts in the DX200 thread.

Just wanted to clarify your statement because really getting a X7ii or a DX200 are both good choices.
Two of my audio buddies also had issues with the DX200 screens. Both got them replaced. They like the very neutral sound of the stock amp.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #2,270 of 6,207
Don't go for an iBasso DAP. I've had three DX200. The first one I sold to fund something else. The second developed a screen fault after two weeks and the third arrived with the Wi-Fi not working. That's 66% failure rate.

Didnt ibasso helped you at all? I have seen generally audio companies stand by their products if you bought from authorised channels.

Could you not stack with a FiiO A5 or similar, for harder to drive headphones at home? I've asked that question before and was told it doesn't alter the sound, other than adding power.

A5 i wouldnt want to use with something like x7 ii. Using it with x5 is already a strech.

Would prefer using something very transparent that can transmit everything that x7 dac has to offer. Maybe something like headamp pico power or meier quickstep. If you like bass then ray samuels sr71 a.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #2,271 of 6,207
You said "some shady 3rd party retailer". It was, as previously stated sourced from advancedmp3players.co.uk. They are in fact the only official iBasso retailer in the UK.

Replacing the Lurker firmware did not fix the w-fi problem.

Fair enough, I should have hesitated on the "shady" descriptive. Nevertheless, you might have done better simply going thru iBasso store. But that's for the other thread. My point is, to say DON'T buy a DX200 based on your three examples is unsubstantiated. X7ii (which is on my "To Buy" list) and DX200 are both solid DAPs to consider for someone in the market to buy.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #2,272 of 6,207

+1

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #2,274 of 6,207
Didnt ibasso helped you at all? I have seen generally audio companies stand by their products if you bought from authorised channels.

A5 i wouldnt want to use with something like x7 ii. Using it with x5 is already a strech.

Would prefer using something very transparent that can transmit everything that x7 dac has to offer. Maybe something like headamp pico power or meier quickstep. If you like bass then ray samuels sr71 a.

I'm pretty sure it was Hawaiibadboy that told me on his Youtube channel that the A5 didn't take anything away from the audio quality but just added power.

On a similar note, can someone point me to digital coax lead I would need to connect my X7ii to an iFi iDSD Black? Preferably, something available in the UK.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #2,275 of 6,207
It was a highly regarded reviewer on here that said it didn't take anything away from the audio quality but just added power.

On a similar note, can someone point me to the lead I would need to connect myX7ii to an iFi iDSD Black? Preferably, something available in the UK.

A5 will still sound like its a fiio rig. You will make it out its sound signature.

Amps i suggested will sound like wire with gain. Only your hps will do the colouration.

But its best to hear it yourself.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #2,276 of 6,207
A5 will still sound like its a fiio rig. You will make it out its sound signature.

Amps i suggested will sound like wire with gain. Only your hps will do the colouration.

But its best to hear it yourself.
Have you heard the A5? I have - and also with the X7ii. It is the essence of wire with gain. One of the most truly neutral portable amps I've heard. It imparts no "signature" that I can discern.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #2,277 of 6,207
fiio x7 mk2 is coax output while on pha3 we have toslink (need adapter or something in the middle?).
with pha3 - we need to use usb to get something over 24/192 (actually enough but still!) :)

You already have X7 II and you want to use it as a storage brick to PHA3?
Chris (Hawaiibadboy) big fan of PHA3 sold it as soon as he got X7 II, the balanced output quality of X7 II is that good.....I think it's an achievement of X7 II making Chris sell his PHA3:)

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #2,278 of 6,207
Have you heard the A5? I have - and also with the X7ii. It is the essence of wire with gain. One of the most truly neutral portable amps I've heard. It imparts no "signature" that I can discern.

I'd definitely have to agree with that. I tried going back to the E12A (for the extra battery life) and just couldn't cope with it. This was with the X5iii. Though I do note that it improved bass response quite a bit on the X5iii with IE800. That could easily be chalked up to difference in volume or some driving magic. Nevertheless it didn't change the signature otherwise.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #2,279 of 6,207

Is it? Cant wait to hear it. Such affordable amp with this sound quality?

Have you tried it with other dacs? This phenomenon should be consistent with dacs from other brands as well.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #2,280 of 6,207
I'd definitely have to agree with that. I tried going back to the E12A (for the extra battery life) and just couldn't cope with it. This was with the X5iii. Though I do note that it improved bass response quite a bit on the X5iii with IE800. That could easily be chalked up to difference in volume or some driving magic. Nevertheless it didn't change the signature otherwise.

E12a? Hmm.

That amp has a strong sound signature. I tried it with t1, hd700 etc. It consistently had a same - ish tonality. Dull sheen over the sound. Lacked vibrancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back