FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Sep 6, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #1,505 of 6,207
Sep 6, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #1,509 of 6,207
Jeepers - I'm reading this and shaking my head. So much speculation by people who haven't heard the amp modules in question, and so much incorrect information regarding power requirements for the IE800 too. The IE800 is 16 ohms and has an SPL of 125 dB at 1V at 1 kHz. That means your average smart-phone will have no issues at all driving it, and the X7ii with AM3A has more than enough power to "drive it to its fullest potential" in good old audiophile speak :)

The X7ii will output up to 200 mW into that load at a peak current of 150 mA and 6 Vp-p which is enough to deafen you.

And I'm sorry - but I'm going to just come out and say it. The IE800 is not a difficult load to drive (I've tried it out of an iPhone and it sounds OK - not my preferred signature - but driven perfectly). I think what people are talking about is tonality. The AM3A is essentially a pretty neutral amp module. The AM2 and AM5 are warm. The IE800 are a bassy V shaped IEM with strong treble. If you need a warm amp to control the treble, then guess what. You bought the wrong IEM. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the AM3A - and as an amp which can do SE and balanced, and meet most people's needs, FiiO got it right IMO.

Someone had to say it ........

+1

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,510 of 6,207
Maybe user @Slim1970 could explain much better the impressions about IE800 powered by AM3A module.
Probably "muffled" is not the best word to explain whay I feel but I am sure that I feel a warmer sound if compared to what I hear from the smapthone. Of course with the same audio file (flac 14/44) and Neutron Music Player without equalizing.
Just curious but what Gain setting are you using with the IE800' on the FiiO?

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,511 of 6,207
Some questions

1) Which filter to use?
2) I'm using spotify, I only sync a hundred songs and the storage is not enough ( I think I managed to sync only 1gb ). Not too sure if the internal memory is partitioned or not.
How do I utilise the rest of the storage memory?

Thanks

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #1,513 of 6,207
Just curious but what Gain setting are you using with the IE800' on the FiiO?

High gain. Anyway I would like to make a serious discussion about the matching of FiiO X7ii and Sennheiser IE800. I have IE800 and I don't like so much the pairing with the AM3A. @Slim1970 and I are experiencing this reality. I still don't know if other guys are expressing their opinion basing on their tries. Maybe they write words only according to the Sennheiser IE800 specifications since the IE800's are stated to have 16 Ohm of impendance, but I still feel that IE800's need a powerful power source. This is my opinion, by owner and after many hours of trying the FiiO X7ii. The 16Ohm parameter is not the only one to focus on, IMHO.
@George Dobrescu could write his experience once he gets in touch with the incoming X7ii since he owns IE800!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,514 of 6,207
High gain. Anyway I would like to make a serious discussion about the matching of FiiO X7ii and Sennheiser IE800. I have IE800 and I don't like so much the pairing with the AM3A. @Slim1970 and I are experiencing this reality. I still don't know if other guys are expressing their opinion basing on their tries. Maybe they write words only according to the Sennheiser IE800 specifications since the IE800's are stated to have 16 Ohm of impendance, but I still feel that IE800's need a powerful power source. This is my opinion, by owner and after many hours of trying the FiiO X7ii. The 16Ohm parameter is not the only one to focus on, IMHO.
@George Dobrescu could write his experience once he gets in touch with the incoming X7ii since he owns IE800!

I had a Fiio X5I and ie800, perfectly happy with the pair. At a head-fi meet i borrowed a Hugo to pair with HD800 as couldnt get enough volume from X5. Just as an afterthought I plugged in my ie800s i had with me. The change was dramatic. Although I went to show with no thought of an external Dac/amp, the Fiio has been attached to Hugo ever since and took ie800 to a level i didn't think existed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back