FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 30, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #17,956 of 18,020

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 1, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #17,957 of 18,020
Someone else asked this question, but never got an answer. Is the standard, non-pay version of Fidelizer a worthwhile upgrade?

I have it installed on my fiio x7 and it is impossible to compare with the stock as the time taken to reinstall the firmware means that any auditory memory is long gone, only possible if 2 x7's are used to compare, however, i have left it on as it sounds fine and it may improve battery life (or not)

d

Jan 12, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #17,959 of 18,020
Let's count: One ...

I added AM3 to all of my X7 mk1s. From that moment on until today I am a very happy user of the mk1s. I do own an mk2 too. Mk2 has more memory but otherwise I really don't care whether I listen with mk1 or mk2. Using TH900s. FLAC and pure music mode only.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #17,960 of 18,020
I've recently picked up an X7 to use as a 'walking around dap' after feeling a bit disappointed by the SQ of the M9 compared to an M11 I have as a 'home listening only' player. I also happened to pick up a THX AM3D and duly stuck this on the X7. A bit of A&Bing with the X7/THX against the M11 leaves me thinking: Damn, I prefer the X7 (with the new amp module). The velvety blackness of the THX background - and the clarity this lends to everything 'above' this darkness - seems to be the thing that does it for me. Anyone else running an X7 with the AM3D and has an M11 who'd care to comment?

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #17,961 of 18,020
I cannot believe, that people tend to stop using X7s ...
Is there anyone who except for me ever tried them together with Fostex TH900s ?
After finding this combo (added AM3), I decided to even stop looking for an upgrade. They are so damn good, that I cannot even imagine there might be something better.
And being a HiFi enthusiast for 35 years with permanent upgrades, that means something!

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #17,962 of 18,020
Well I'm still using mine, several times a week, mostly with my mojo and meze 99 or oppo pm3, i would use it outdoors more if it were smaller but i have an ibasso dx120 to use for walks, shopping, travel with etymotic er2xr or fiio fa7. I cannot see myself changing until the batteries expire and even them the x7 will be a good coax feed for a dac with a suitable battery pack attached.

I use fidelizer (free) roms on both and foobar on the x7 as it has a good implementation of replay gain and meier crossfeed.

I do not feel the urge to upgrade to something which will not be significantly better in sq just for the sake of it (chasing the new purely as it is new is a poor use of resources imo and sq tends to be different rather than better).

Just for interest my other digital equipment is

spendor sp2/2 (25 year old and perfect)
hd650 - musical fidelity x-cans3 (highly modded)
irdac2 (almost new)
quad 77 integrated (at least 15 years old but last year serviced by quad - very reasonable price)

plus

analogue works turntable 2 (3 years old)
rega 200 (rewired and michell weight) - 8 years old)
project valve phono amplifer (several years old)
denon dl110 or nagaoki mp200 cartridges

d

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #17,963 of 18,020
I've had an X7ii and have an M11 and the X7 (at least with the AM3D) just gives pretty much nothing away to them that I can hear, anyway. I've very glad I traded up for it when one came up crazy cheap on Ebay. The M9 I replaced with the X7 just seemed a bit wan alongside the M11 but that's absolutely not the case with the X7. I recently got some used Fiio FH5's - which are just great - and while I can just about imagine better sound quality unless I become significantly richer all of a sudden I can't imagine thinking that spending a several grand on, say, Andromeda's and a Cayin N8 would make any sense at all.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #17,965 of 18,020
Oh man.. this player with AM3D is just exquisite sounding! Really fantastic!

Mar 10, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #17,969 of 18,020
Good thing i kept my x7. This pairs really well with my newly acquired noble savannah. So good with jazz and vocals.

Is 8 hours on music only mode on am1 module still good for battery life? Where to get battery replacement in case mine dies out? I guess i'll be keeping my x7 for a long time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back