FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
May 25, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #11,986 of 18,019
  Battery will be more healthy. If it will stay on charge constantly it could be damaged. You can check how it works on Centrance M8/Mini-M8.

But I need is to be constantly on charge. I listen to X7 as a DAC (plugged in K5) probably 6 hours per day, then I take it outside. If it wouldn't be charging I would be going outside with almost empty battery.

If it would be possible to enable/disable charging when it's being used as a DAC, then I'd understand you. But if it would be disabled by default, then I am still confused, as my X7/K5 would become just useless.

May 25, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #11,987 of 18,019
OSiRiSsk, When you use X7 as a DAC it needs a few power, because an AMP did not used. So you will have about 50%-60% battery outside. But I agree with you, if the user can enable/disable charging it will be great.

May 25, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #11,988 of 18,019
What I find irritating these days is the bashing of sabre dacs. I some threads I read about sabre dacs sounding "plastically and metallic", while  "r2r" dacs being the real deal, like some burr browns I´ve had in some of the cd players I´ve owned back in the ´90s. They sounded great then, but when I listen to my X7 it beats them easily in terms of high end resolution. So can anyone get all the hype about "r2r", or are these guys just sitting on their ears?

May 25, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #11,989 of 18,019
  Thank for reminding us that the promotion of headphone amp modules for X7 exclusive in US may annoy the customers in other countries, we hereby would like to apology for our negligence of using the FiiO account to announce the promotion for US region. In addition, we would like to explain the whole thing to all of you.

Some of you might not know that US market has been separated as an independent market just like the Chinese market since April and we have a special crew taking care of the after-sales service and promotion of US. So basically the market operation in US is different from that in other countries. and we announced it on our website before: http://fiio.net/en/story/425

In addition, having a special crew to take care of a market will consume great manpower and materials resources. Therefore, we are unable to apply this mode to other countries so far. In countries other than China and US, our local sales agents are the one to decide whether to run a promotion and we, FiiO couldn't and wouldn't force our agents to follow our promotions in China and US. The reason why we announced this promotion on Head-Fi is that there are some of  US customers here and we thought that some of them may interest in this news.

Soon we will have another official account FiiO US to announce news for US market only and we hope that you can kindly understand the different market strategy we have for different markets.

We are so sorry for any inconveniences that brought to you. 

PS: please just tell your deep voice if you want the promotion happens in your country,we will consult with the local sales agents in the coming days to get their approval, if they agree, the promotion will be held in your area in the future.

And the public echoed "do this in Romania! " "Discounts for Romania"

(I hope everyone here can take a joke)

Thanks for giving your interest, Fiio, I know you are always doing your best to make everyone happy. I am happy that you can make such promotions for a part of the world 
biggrin.gif

Also, thank you for providing ampless X7, it really helps out when some of us will only use AM2 or high power, for own reasons. 

May 25, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #11,990 of 18,019
  What I find irritating these days is the bashing of sabre dacs. I some threads I read about sabre dacs sounding "plastically and metallic", while  "r2r" dacs being the real deal, like some burr browns I´ve had in some of the cd players I´ve owned back in the ´90s. They sounded great then, but when I listen to my X7 it beats them easily in terms of high end resolution. So can anyone get all the hype about "r2r", or are these guys just sitting on their ears?

DAC is a minor part of the equation when it comes to final sound. AMPs color sound the most, but there are also interconnects, cables, DACs, software noise, digital volume induced noise, and so on. The list of things that can change sound is so big, that it would be safe to say that how a company uses a DAC is much more important than what DAC they use. 

May 25, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #11,991 of 18,019

DAC is a minor part of the equation when it comes to final sound. AMPs color sound the most, but there are also interconnects, cables, DACs, software noise, digital volume induced noise, and so on. The list of things that can change sound is so big, that it would be safe to say that how a company uses a DAC is much more important than what DAC they use. 

Don´t know if it´s that easy. Otherwise why even bother producing sabre dacs, when even old ones from the ´90s can do the same job?

May 25, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #11,992 of 18,019
sorry we just make a big news 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, before we start the promotion we still have time to reconsider how to improve our work. but plz understand the world never is fair . for example , the price, the tax, the welfare. we are not God and we can't provide a 100% fair service to everyone. 

and also it is not only about FiiO cause we have not right to sell to end customer directly in some region ( exclusive right for our distributor ).

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 25, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #11,993 of 18,019
Personally, it doesn't bother me. I already purchased both available modules, I'm certainly not going to complain about it. Things happen. Just the way of the world. If it happened in Europe, I'd be happy for my fellow head-fiers in Europe. I certainly wouldn't complain and put Fiio in a bad spot, where ultimately, they may reconsider doing any promotion in the future.

JamesFiiO You are doing an excellent job. I can't imagine the difficulty of what you have to deal with. I've run small businesses, dealt with the public on a much smaller scale, and it's never been easy. You can't make all the people happy all the time. Anyway, thank you James and Fiio for your continued efforts in the audio world, I for one, greatly appreciate what you guys do. It's pretty rare that a company listens to their customers and interacts with them on the level that Fiio does (along with several other brands here).

May 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #11,994 of 18,019
  Thank for reminding us that the promotion of headphone amp modules for X7 exclusive in US may annoy the customers in other countries, we hereby would like to apology for our negligence of using the FiiO account to announce the promotion for US region. In addition, we would like to explain the whole thing to all of you.

Some of you might not know that US market has been separated as an independent market just like the Chinese market since April and we have a special crew taking care of the after-sales service and promotion of US. So basically the market operation in US is different from that in other countries. and we announced it on our website before: http://fiio.net/en/story/425

In addition, having a special crew to take care of a market will consume great manpower and materials resources. Therefore, we are unable to apply this mode to other countries so far. In countries other than China and US, our local sales agents are the one to decide whether to run a promotion and we, FiiO couldn't and wouldn't force our agents to follow our promotions in China and US. The reason why we announced this promotion on Head-Fi is that there are some of  US customers here and we thought that some of them may interest in this news.

Soon we will have another official account FiiO US to announce news for US market only and we hope that you can kindly understand the different market strategy we have for different markets.

PS: please just tell your deep voice if you want the promotion happens in your country,we will consult with the local sales agents in the coming days to get their approval, if they agree, the promotion will be held in your area in the future.

(Bold mine)

To me just sounds like cross subsidization... Enjoy your US efforts and thank you for easing my decision on my new DAP. 

May 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #11,995 of 18,019

Already sent you a PM. I hope you will consult with the dealers in my country as soon as possible. It will be good if the promotion could held here. If not, as least I appreciate your effort and happy with it.

May 25, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #11,996 of 18,019
Quote:

I think of it a little like the difference between tubes and solid state on the amplification side. You associate a certain kind of sound with a tube amp vs a transistor amp but, everything shifts wildly based on the implementation. You can get good and bad sound from either topology and you can design a tube amp to sound clear and transparent and a solid state to sound thick and euphonic. In a similar way a Sabre based DAC can sound beautifully natural and an R2R can sound synthetic. Both can yield wonderful results.

Having said that, there is a reason why you associate a certain kind of sound with the components you select on both the digital and analog side. It's easier to get precision out of a transistor and so designs tend to go that way over tubes (which generally lend themselves to a more exaggerated sound). For DACs as well there is a general kind of sound to Sabre vs R2R. I do think the new R2Rs, along with FPGAs, have an advantage of naturalness over the Sabre chips, but some prefer the smoothness of Sabres.

All the buzz around the resurgence of R2R is not just hype. They are worth checking out, but of course, not all R2Rs are good versions of the technology and the general sound may not suit you. 

May 25, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #11,997 of 18,019
^ +1 Tidal is currently working without any issues.

Does that include saving offline content to the SD card, or is that still only possible on the internal memory?  Really looking to decide between the X7 and DP-X1 and I use Tidal so trying to see which works best.  DP-X1 appears to have hiss problems on Tidal, while X7 doesn't support MQA for when Tidal starts streaming in MQA and may have the offline storage issue.

May 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #11,998 of 18,019

I think of it a little like the difference between tubes and solid state on the amplification side. You associate a certain kind of sound with a tube amp vs a transistor amp but, everything shifts wildly based on the implementation. You can get good and bad sound from either topology and you can design a tube amp to sound clear and transparent and a solid state to sound thick and euphonic. In a similar way a Sabre based DAC can sound beautifully natural and an R2R can sound synthetic. Both can yield wonderful results.

Having said that, there is a reason why you associate a certain kind of sound with the components you select on both the digital and analog side. It's easier to get precision out of a transistor and so designs tend to go that way over tubes (which generally lend themselves to a more exaggerated sound). For DACs as well there is a general kind of sound to Sabre vs R2R. I do think the new R2Rs, along with FPGAs, have an advantage of naturalness over the Sabre chips, but some prefer the smoothness of Sabres.

All the buzz around the resurgence of R2R is not just hype. They are worth checking out, but of course, not all R2Rs are good versions of the technology and the general sound may not suit you. 

You might have a point there. I really love the smoothness of my X7.

May 25, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #12,000 of 18,019

As far as I can tell, this US-exclusive promotion is happening because the US has become the only region other than China where FiiO distributes directly. And that's what's eating all their "manpower and materials resources".

At least, that's what it reads like to me from "separated as an independent market just like the Chinese market", "special crew taking care of a market consuming great manpower and materials resources", etc. etc. Feel free to correct me if the above is incorrect FiiO FiiO Sunny JamesFiiO.

As the sole distributor of the US, FiiO would have the right to dictate promotions as it sees fit to maximize its long-term profit and/or market share. Whereas on the other hand, 3rd party distributors for other regions and countries may not share FiiO's long-term priorities and would certainly go up in arms if they wake up today to hear that the MSRP for the amp modules they'd already imported had been slashed in half via a unilateral decision on FiiO's part. :wink:

That's a reasonable explanation for a US-exclusive promotion as far as it goes. :)

Having said that, I see a pattern where FiiO tended to piss off a lot of people with directly-administered promotions, even though, if people knew how few people actually benefit from the promotions, everyone would have dismissed them as nothing to care about. I mean look at the present promotion--it doesn't benefit Amazon customers, it doesn't benefit retail store customers, it only benefit the handful of people who

1. saw this promotion announcement on head-fi (or their FiiO US facebook, presently with ?? followers)
2. bothered to send the requisite details to market@fiio.net
3. ... further bottlenecks include the rate at which FiiO can sift through the emails and vet the address details provided
4. ... and the rate at which they can ship these discounted modules, one by one, direct from FiiO China to these lucky applicants (would shipping be charged? How much?)
5. and the applicants have to happen to be in the US! At this point I'm wondering if there's one single reader of the announcement who actually lives in the US! Kinda incredible really, considering how I thought US readership dominated head-fi...

I think FiiO needs to come up with a way of administering promotions such that
1. the offer is mostly seen by those who are actually eligible, and
2. if you are going to alienate some people with exclusive offers, at least make it worth FiiO's while, by arranging the logistics and promotional channels such that it is possible for lots of customers to benefit... :rolleyes:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back