FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jan 31, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #8,881 of 18,020
You hit the nail on the head with that one simplified sentence. Now I'm curious what purpose do people use the usb DAC mode for? I mean if I'm listening to just music I rather use the X7 as a DAP and be able to walk around wherever I like with the tunes. Why tethered yourself to a computer for music? With fw 1.8 we have the ability to stream via our network now so not using much scenarios to use USB DAC mode except maybe for gamers or movie watchers on computer. Am I missing something?

its why we have desktop DAC's. to provide higher quality digital conversion than say a crappy soundcard or onboard sound when you are just chillin by your pc.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8,882 of 18,020
Now I'm curious what purpose do people use the usb DAC mode for? I mean if I'm listening to just music I rather use the X7 as a DAP and be able to walk around wherever I like with the tunes. Why tethered yourself to a computer for music? With fw 1.8 we have the ability to stream via our network now so not using much scenarios to use USB DAC mode except maybe for gamers or movie watchers on computer. Am I missing something?

Pretty much because I don't stream at home, and I also game casually, and watch movies on the PC, and a number of other audio related things.  To be fair though - I don't usually use my DAPs - I just use the iDSD as my permanent desktop unit.  But the ability to use the device for someone on a budget is pretty compelling.  Especially if you had an X3ii/X5ii/X7 and used the K5 - really easy solution.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #8,883 of 18,020
  ^^ At everybody, yes I realized the error of my stupid question like 2 minutes after posting!! I do this all the time with amp/dac combo units. I have just never owned a DAP that does this so I was a little clueless not even considering that people would do this! Okay, well with egg on my face I may as well make an omelet. Man I think this is like two really clueless posts this week. I'll need to be more thoughtful before posting. Cheers. 

I didn't see it as dumb - to me the only dumb question is the one you don't ask 
smile.gif
.  Guarantee someone will come across it in times to come, and be asking themselves the same question, and not posting.  That's why it's always a good idea to ask.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #8,884 of 18,020
Can you just use the x7 as a dac and line out without any amp module? To make it shorter, that is.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #8,885 of 18,020
  Can you just use the x7 as a dac and line out without any amp module? To make it shorter, that is.

The will expose the bottom connector to the elements, plus there are very sharp corners. However, as James @ FiiO already mentioned, they are designing a amp-less module so X7 can be used as transport only.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #8,886 of 18,020

I didn't see it as dumb - to me the only dumb question is the one you don't ask 
smile.gif
.  Guarantee someone will come across it in times to come, and be asking themselves the same question, and not posting.  That's why it's always a good idea to ask.

Well, you are being kind, which I appreciate, but in the sense that I certainly know better, and already knew the answer why I had a brain cramp like that over such a basic thing is frankly a little embarrassing, but again, thank you for being gracious.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #8,887 of 18,020
I noticed after listening for a few hours on my Macbook Pro that the X7 has gone down 4%. While it's not a big deal right now, it has me concerned for someone who uses it as only a DAC for a very long period. Is the X7 going to eventually run out of battery if you start using it as a DAC at low battery?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the X7 would temporarily disconnect from the DAC screen and go back to the regular screen as if you were just charging it with a plug. The DAC function will still work, though. I noticed this with my X5 as well...

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #8,888 of 18,020
 Quote:
  Which DNLA server are you all using?.  I have a Netgear Readynas 104 and with its build in DNLA service it takes forever to load my Music collection on the nas but eventually shows no files but only Folders, Artist names, Albums but no selectable music files.

I would like to hear about anybody's experiences as well. I'm using the foobar2000 DLNA plug-in (so my computer with foobar is acting as the server), but for some reason I'm only able to view and play non-lossless music on the Fiio music app. That is, I can play stuff like mp3, AAC, OGG, etc. but I can't see any FLAC, WAV, or even DSD files.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #8,889 of 18,020

The will expose the bottom connector to the elements, plus there are very sharp corners. However, as James @ FiiO already mentioned, they are designing a amp-less module so X7 can be used as transport only.

Wow, that's great news. Now if it would only come with a stacking kit like the other models... I could personally guarantee a unit purcahase right there - AT THE COST OF TWO RUBBER BANDS AND A PLASTIC RING - WINK WINK - FOR FIIO. Plus I just love those stacking kits. Such a great thing for the company to think of.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #8,890 of 18,020
Wow, that's great news. Now if it would only come with a stacking kit like the other models... I could personally guarantee a unit purcahase right there - AT THE COST OF TWO RUBBER BANDS AND A PLASTIC RING - WINK WINK - FOR FIIO. Plus I just love those stacking kits. Such a great thing for the company to think of.

If you're planning to stack with an E12, I found this leather stack case on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01B85WKK8?keywords=Fiio%20X7&qid=1454308729&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=8-10

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #8,891 of 18,020
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782490/fiio-x7-preview-world-tour-tour-impressions-rolling-in#post_11952505

I've posted the FW1.8 update on dropbox for manual download and install.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 1, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #8,893 of 18,020
   Quote:

I would like to hear about anybody's experiences as well. I'm using the foobar2000 DLNA plug-in (so my computer with foobar is acting as the server), but for some reason I'm only able to view and play non-lossless music on the Fiio music app. That is, I can play stuff like mp3, AAC, OGG, etc. but I can't see any FLAC, WAV, or even DSD files.

If have fixed my DNLA (apparantly there is a limit to the amount of folders you can use) by splitting my Lossless and old MP3 stuff in to two different DNLA volumes.
Lossless DNLA works technically good: Can see and play all files. Some small hick-ups with 192/24 stuff but this might be a NAS CPU performance problem. (I havent tried any MP3 files)

I'm not so enthusiastic about the UI because I get all files presented without album art work and without the proper album sequence. But maybe this is also a DNLA server issue instead of a player issue.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #8,894 of 18,020
If have fixed my DNLA (apparantly there is a limit to the amount of folders you can use) by splitting my Lossless and old MP3 stuff in to two different DNLA volumes.
Lossless DNLA works technically good: Can see and play all files. Some small hick-ups with 192/24 stuff but this might be a NAS CPU performance problem. (I havent tried any MP3 files)

I'm not so enthusiastic about the UI because I get all files presented without album art work and without the proper album sequence. But maybe this is also a DNLA server issue instead of a player issue.

DLNA typically doesn't show album art, at least not in my experience. Also, 24/192 is a huge amount of data for using DNLA. Usually want to keep it to lossless 16/44.1 for the best experience over DLNA.

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #8,895 of 18,020
Is anyone having problems with songs not displaying in the proper order in the Fiio Music App.   I don't know if I was having the problem on 1.5 or not since I only receive my X7 on Thursday.  But I noticed after I installed 1.8 some albums were no longer displaying songs in proper sequence.   I immediately thought it was something wrong with my tags so I retagged, made sure the track number was correct, and for multi-disc albums I removed the disc number just in case it wasn't picking that up properly.   I rescanned and am still having the same issue.  

The song's are displaying properly in folder view, so I thought there might be something still wrong with the tags so as a test I installed Onkyo music player and the songs display properly in that app.  Should I take the time to dig through my tags to figure out what could be causing it, or is there a glitch in the fiio music app?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Mike 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back