FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jan 31, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8,866 of 18,020

It is a little bulky. I just got the literal visual of DAPs trying to have babies...

:)

that astell & kern is so nice and slim - perfect baby-making dap with the x7. but boy does the UI suck. they cheaped out on the processor so everything lags terribly, and for a $500 product. that is an insult to any consumer.

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #8,867 of 18,020

Is there a way to use it in DAC mode and not over charge its battery? I dont want to keep charging it when its battery is full...

It stops charging when the battery is charged. It works well and the K5 does an excellent job. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #8,868 of 18,020
Pull down the notification area on the right side to get access to quick settings and then click the storage icon, it should change to DAC.

When in usb DAC mode, is the amp in the X7 also driving the headphones ?

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #8,869 of 18,020
Jan 31, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #8,870 of 18,020
When in usb DAC mode, is the amp in the X7 also driving the headphones ?

Yes if used stand alone and connecting headphones via headphone out. No if using K5 or going line out to another amp

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #8,872 of 18,020
Yes if used stand alone and connecting headphones via headphone out. No if using K5 or going line out to another amp

Thanks for the answer. I meant standalone and should have been more exact with the question.

So in usb mode and the headphones connected to the headphone jack on the X7, the X7 becomes an external DAC & AMP.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #8,873 of 18,020
Trying out third party apps with the new 1.18 FW, sound is improved for sure so I assume they now have direct access to the DAC? I am finding that volume is quite a bit lower than with the Fiio app however, I have to go up about 10 volume points to get the same volume level (on high gain)

Can now play 192/24 in Rocket player, not in Poweramp though. Not sure if it's being down sampled though, is there a way to check?

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #8,874 of 18,020
  Trying out third party apps with the new 1.18 FW, sound is improved for sure so I assume they now have direct access to the DAC? I am finding that volume is quite a bit lower than with the Fiio app however, I have to go up about 10 volume points to get the same volume level (on high gain)

Can now play 192/24 in Rocket player, not in Poweramp though. Not sure if it's being down sampled though, is there a way to check?

wait so on the previous firmware if i played music through Google Play Music App it was not taking advantage of the DAC in the x7?

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #8,875 of 18,020

But if you are connecting headphones how is that a DAC mode as the amplifier is engaged? When somebody says DAC mode aren't they using the digital to feed another amp? I'm trying to understand how using the DAC in standalone differs from just using the DAP? I must be missing something and would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #8,876 of 18,020
As a Dap - you are using music stored on the X7, playing though the X7s interface, and using its integrated DAC chip and amp (unless also pairing a line-out)

As a DAC - you are pairing your PC/laptop via USB, and sending a digital signal to the X7 which is then converted to analogue by the X7 DAC. So in that case the PC is sending the digital data, not the X7 itself

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #8,877 of 18,020

But if you are connecting headphones how is that a DAC mode as the amplifier is engaged? When somebody says DAC mode aren't they using the digital to feed another amp? I'm trying to understand how using the DAC in standalone differs from just using the DAP? I must be missing something and would appreciate the help. Thanks.

In DAC mode a source other than the X7 itself is providing the feed, such as your PC or MAC. This allows you to bypass the computers DAC, which in most cases will be inferior to the one in the X7,allowing you to get better sound from that source.so in DAC mode with headphones connected directly to the X7, the X7 is both DAC and app.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #8,878 of 18,020
Basically you are using the X7 as an external sound card for your PC/laptop

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #8,879 of 18,020
^^ At everybody, yes I realized the error of my stupid question like 2 minutes after posting!! I do this all the time with amp/dac combo units. I have just never owned a DAP that does this so I was a little clueless not even considering that people would do this! Okay, well with egg on my face I may as well make an omelet. Man I think this is like two really clueless posts this week. I'll need to be more thoughtful before posting. Cheers. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #8,880 of 18,020
Basically you are using the X7 as an external sound card for your PC/laptop

You hit the nail on the head with that one simplified sentence. Now I'm curious what purpose do people use the usb DAC mode for? I mean if I'm listening to just music I rather use the X7 as a DAP and be able to walk around wherever I like with the tunes. Why tethered yourself to a computer for music? With fw 1.8 we have the ability to stream via our network now so not using much scenarios to use USB DAC mode except maybe for gamers or movie watchers on computer. Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back