FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #8,177 of 18,020
  Oh this thing looks awesome... currently have an X5ii and love it but reading about this i'm beginning to feel some upgraditis coming on.....it's a serious illness you know :wink:

Sound quality wise - is this loads better than the X5ii?

that female vocals amp module intrigues me as well

it has lots of potential, but I might pick the safe road and get a v10

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #8,178 of 18,020
On the face of it having the distributor open up an X7 for checking before sending it to the customer for replacement of his X7 with faulty WiFi is an obvious solution. But I will have to confirm with FiiO tomorrow what the actual measure will be to ensure that replacement units are optimally functional. One must admit that the present return program for X7's affected by the WiFi problem already puts unexpected stress on our distributing partners. Regardless, I am sure some measure can and must be taken to ensure that exchanging an X7 for this issue doesn't end up being a roulette game!
deadhorse.gif

One problem I for see in this is units that are maybe intermittent, mine for eg hisses approx 95% of the time, I didnt even hear a hiss for the 1st few days. I have seen others say th\at theirs is intermittent too. Having said that, however, I would happily have my supplier check before sending a unit out to me odds are it would be picked up and since I bought the unit I have moved to a different country. The thought of sending my unit back to the UK from Sweden a second, third time etc should I be unlucky is not very palatable due mostly to the time taken but also the cost.

Anyway fingers crossed those of us effected have good replacments sent, I love the sound so much I am going to persist with obtaining an un-efected unit.

I received a nice email from my supplier today agreeing to replace my unit for me, so now I just have to figure out where the post office is in this new town I am living in :)

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #8,179 of 18,020
Good stuff from Fiio and what seems like like a fair way of dealing with this issue.  

This kind of response would have calmed me a bit when I had my X7 however I understand that at that point Fiio had not been able to test the issue.  I'm kind of pleased for Fiio that my issues were a fault and not a major design issue.

I'm still going to hold off before buying another though.  I've currently got another Android based DAP on order and will wait and see how that compares first on SQ and then on WIFi streaming before I decide on whether or not to get another X7.  

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #8,180 of 18,020
BTW, we still don't have confirmation on the SQ between apps on the X7 :

Is FiiO Music the only app that is able to directly send data stream to the 9018 DAC, and bypassing subsampling by android, or any app installed on the X7 can do the same?

Thanks Joe if you can answer.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #8,181 of 18,020
I'm on batch R212A.  I can't hear any wifi interference, however, I'm wondering if people that have the wifi interference are hearing it from having their device too close to their cell phones?  If I pause a song, the amp will stay active for about 10 seconds.  If I move my cell phone over the device, I can hear a lot of interference pickup - just like typical computer speakers will pick up if a cell phone is too close.  I don't think this is a defect, just the laws of physics.  Thoroughly enjoying my X7 and loving the wifi sync via mediamonkey!

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #8,182 of 18,020
As you've stated, I've heard the interference but it's so minimal next to non-existent that I plan to keep it. The sound with my Shure SE 846 is just amazing. I've never lost "track" of time just listening to music like I do now. If the price of the additional modules stay fairly low I'll grab all of them just for versatility.

Lucky dude, those SE846 must be singing through X7...there is something to be said about losing track of time and music, I have been doing a lot of that lately...
smily_headphones1.gif
. It is unfortunate that some units exhibit issues with interference, but considering the complexities of designing and implementing what is essentially a HiFi system in the palm of your hand, I would say things are pretty good and getting better with competition heating up.

For me the additional module will be a must. Obviously the stock module is optimized for the IE-Phones, when I hooked up HD600, I had to crank the volume way up to get to the sound level I like.  

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #8,183 of 18,020
  Good stuff from Fiio and what seems like like a fair way of dealing with this issue.  

This kind of response would have calmed me a bit when I had my X7 however I understand that at that point Fiio had not been able to test the issue.  I'm kind of pleased for Fiio that my issues were a fault and not a major design issue.

I'm still going to hold off before buying another though.  I've currently got another Android based DAP on order and will wait and see how that compares first on SQ and then on WIFi streaming before I decide on whether or not to get another X7.  

How is the Priv soundwise? I know my Leap sounds very good, as did my Z10. Are you waiting on a DP-X1?

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #8,184 of 18,020
I'm on batch R212A.  I can't hear any wifi interference, however, I'm wondering if people that have the wifi interference are hearing it from having their device too close to their cell phones?  If I pause a song, the amp will stay active for about 10 seconds.  If I move my cell phone over the device, I can hear a lot of interference pickup - just like typical computer speakers will pick up if a cell phone is too close.  I don't think this is a defect, just the laws of physics.  Thoroughly enjoying my X7 and loving the wifi sync via mediamonkey!

Not a matter of how close the cellphone is to the X7. For my unit even if I turn off the cellphone or put in airplane mode there is interference on X7 with wifi enabled and while streaming.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #8,185 of 18,020

Unfortunatly no, a few of us have experimented with this already, I have used it with my mobile in an other room, airplane mode on, and even totally switched off. Result = noise.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #8,187 of 18,020
Not a matter of how close the cellphone is to the X7. For my unit even if I turn off the cellphone or put in airplane mode there is interference on X7 with wifi enabled and while streaming.

Too bad to hear a fellow Canadian (and on the same side of the coast) with problematic unit. Hopefully you get the issues sorted and get replacement ASAP.

@ viTRifY13 few pages back there was a discussion about this, when certain units exhibit the problem nothing seems to work to fix it, except maybe isolating the wifi module with some EMI absorption tape. I'm streaming music as we speak with my cellphone on top of the X7, it just works fine and hopefully it stays that way.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #8,188 of 18,020
Too bad to hear a fellow Canadian (and on the same side of the coast) with problematic unit. Hopefully you get the issues sorted and get replacement ASAP.

@ viTRifY13 few pages back there was a discussion about this, when certain units exhibit the problem nothing seems to work to fix it, except maybe isolating the wifi module with some EMI absorption tape. I'm streaming music as we speak with my cellphone on top of the X7, it just works fine and hopefully it stays that way.

Well greeting a there fellow neighbours. May I ask where you got your unit from? Maybe I'll have better luck at same place?

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #8,189 of 18,020
After update to FW 1.5 still NO:
no FFWD / no FRWD
no visual info about EQ (is it ON, or is it OFF)
When EQ is ON - you must press the EQ-icon once again.
still no plays DFF,
still no play 32 bit. (Fiio x5 plays 32-192 (it shows 24-192, but plays)
button "play-pause" works by itself want. if want - works, if don't - don't works.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #8,190 of 18,020
Hey Alpha67,

You can place your phone on top of the X7 and not hear any interference?  Wow, maybe my unit is affected by the lack of shielding and I've just been lucky with strong wifi signals where I haven't heard the issue yet?  I did get one of the first units from the Headphonebar (probably why my batch number R212A is different than everyone's T333A).  Is there a process for replacing the units?  Do we ship them directly to FIIO or do we ship them back to the retailer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back