FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Aug 5, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #13,636 of 18,020
I'm buying an X7.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Does anyone not want their silicone case?  I will buy it off you. Just PM me. 

Thanks a lot! 

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #13,637 of 18,020
I'm buying an X7.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Does anyone not want their silicone case?  I will buy it off you. Just PM me. 

Thanks a lot! 

Are you referring the plastic clear case? If you are buying X7 I think it will come with one, mine did.

Regards

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #13,638 of 18,020
Are you referring the plastic clear case? If you are buying X7 I think it will come with one, mine did.

Regards

The older x7s came with a black silicone sleeve that covered the entire X7 minus the screen.  I like that case a lot.  The clear case does not have as much protection.  It makes it hard to slide into your pocket and is a lint magnet but I like it.  The one I am buying is the newer production run that comes with the clear case. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #13,639 of 18,020
Dang. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a silicone case for the X7. I bought the amp-less X7 (and an am2 separately), and this came with no case of any kind.

I liked those silicone sleeve cases that came with the older X-model players. FiiO - are there any plans to sell X7 silicone sleeve cases separately?

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #13,640 of 18,020

Regards

The older x7s came with a black silicone sleeve that covered the entire X7 minus the screen.  I like that case a lot.  The clear case does not have as much protection.  It makes it hard to slide into your pocket and is a lint magnet but I like it.  The one I am buying is the newer production run that comes with the clear case. 

Are you sure you're not confusing the X7 with the X1/3II/5II? I worked for FiiO at the time and don't recall there being any such silicone case for the X7... is my memory going bad? :confused:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 5, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #13,641 of 18,020
Are you sure you're not confusing the X7 with the X1/3II/5II? I worked for FiiO at the time and don't recall there being any such silicone case for the X7... is my memory going bad?
confused.gif

That's totally possible.  I thought I saw it on an unboxing video but now I can't find it. I'll just pick up a leather case for it.  That will work.

Thanks so much for clearing things up.

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #13,643 of 18,020
  i feel the thin sound and brittle sound signature need an amp that gives full bodied compensation to the sabre dac

Hi @Sound Eq first off have you tried playing with the Low Pass Filter settings? You may find that putting it on "Gradual" has a subtle (emphasis on this) effect on making the sound from the DAC smoother a bit. Though again, this is not a big effect and may not make a difference to you.

And secondly, I've tried the X7 with the E12, and this will definitely give you the smoother sound that you're looking for. Though personally I don't like this pairing as much as the X7 with AM2 or AM5 or even E12A. E12 is simply too smooth for my tastes (to the point of masking details IMO).

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #13,644 of 18,020
Did you properly volume match? Most people don't. I did, and measured the output as well. The difference was in volume - nothing else. And with balanced vs SE IEMs, which I could rapidly A/B, the only difference turned out to be how loud they were. And of course we hear louder as:
- more vivid
- better separation
- better bass or treble
Etc

To back up what I found, I measured the frequency response (it's in the review) using the harder to drive MEE P1. If the output was "better bass and treble" it would show up on the freq response. There is no difference. And the reason they sound the same is that you are using either one or two OPA1622 (same chipset).

It's really easy to think you are hearing something when the playing field isn't equally matched. Human nature kicking in. It's why I always try to avoid potential bias when I review.

Hi @Brooko. Yes I did volume match - I used a C-weighted SPL meter along with a 1kHz test tone to do so. I actually have done so for every one of my reviews whenever possible (actually, I was influenced by you after reading your reviews - volume matching is something that makes sense to me).

By "better bass and treble", I don't mean to say whether there was more treble or more bass. The bass and treble seemed to be of better quality to me through balanced than through SE when listening to full-sized headphones. Again, I didn't listen to IEMs through balanced because I don't have any balanced IEMs.

Also, see this post for why perhaps frequency response isn't the only determinant of why amps sound different from each other: http://www.head-fi.org/t/793155/how-the-frequency-response-of-your-amp-dac-affects-the-frequency-response-of-your-headpones-or-doesnt#post_12347896. Perhaps there is something similar going on here between the balanced and SE outs (I mean, even though they use the same chips, the implementation between the two headphones out isn't exactly the same, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.).

I will admit, however, that the difference in separation between the balanced and SE out is less than what I have heard out of other balanced-design amps that also offer an SE out. Perhaps the wording in my review does slightly exaggerate this difference.

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #13,645 of 18,020
  Maybe you're thinking of the DX-80? It comes with the type of case you described.

Could be.  I wish you could get a case like that for the X7.  I thought i saw it in a review.  I may have confused the two. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #13,648 of 18,020
Widcatsare1, 

Any good suggestion you have,please do not hesitate to tell us, we will report it to our UI designer. 

Thank you for your response. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think a pleasant tone that lets the user know the amp is ready, or user selected music versus a continual loop of somewhat annoying music would be my preference.

On another note, so happy I read Paul's Reviews and pulled the trigger on the X7/Amp3, this combination with the Dharmas with acoustic instruments, say Clapton/Unplugged or Belfante/Carnege Hall is a goose-bump inducing experience. Very well done Fiio, I hadn't planned on reviewing the X7, though it will play a large role in my current CIEM "shootout", it deserves a review of its own, perhaps the X7ii.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #13,649 of 18,020
Upgrading to 128gb micro sd card.  Anyone know if any issues with Sandisk Manufacturer Part# : SDSQUNC-128G-CN6MA ?

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #13,650 of 18,020
Also, see this post for why perhaps frequency response isn't the only determinant of why amps sound different from each other: http://www.head-fi.org/t/793155/how-the-frequency-response-of-your-amp-dac-affects-the-frequency-response-of-your-headpones-or-doesnt#post_12347896. Perhaps there is something similar going on here between the balanced and SE outs (I mean, even though they use the same chips, the implementation between the two headphones out isn't exactly the same, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.).

Sorry, I can't take any technical explanation seriously from someone who gets even the first point completely backwards (amp output impedance and headphone impedance response relationship)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back