FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 21, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #10,457 of 18,020
Go for the player that provides the best feature set for your current and possible future needs. If you like a warmer sound signature that is not difficult to emulate with some simple EQing so if the X7 has more of what you want/need, don't skip it simply because it is not as warm sounding as the Plenue DAP.

Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear. I have the X7. I like it. Just want to know how the P1 compares to the X7. I'm still exploring.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #10,458 of 18,020

Starting the countdown. Patience is a virtue, excitement is a curse.

Y'know, I'm wondering, would the AM2 have a bass option like the E12A?
I'm so excited for this module.

Isn't your finger getting sore?

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #10,460 of 18,020

Mostly use the h8 at the gym. Got the momentum 2 over ear hooked up to the fiio e12. Pure magic!

Yah, but damn cables. Wish I could tolerate them, but after getting cable free I can't imagine going back to cables.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #10,461 of 18,020
  Isn't your finger getting sore?

I've done much more intense things with this finger.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #10,462 of 18,020
Hmm since coming back from vacation been using the X7 more and more each day. As excited as I was to get the AM2 module right away, given the potential hit in battery life, I think I will wait it out a bit for the balanced module. Who knows I might still cave in and get the AM2 anyway lol!

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #10,463 of 18,020
  Hmm since coming back from vacation been using the X7 more and more each day. As excited as I was to get the AM2 module right away, given the potential hit in battery life, I think I will wait it out a bit for the balanced module. Who knows I might still cave in and get the AM2 anyway lol!

Wouldn't the balanced module be as much of a hit to the battery?

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #10,465 of 18,020

hmm not necessarily. Wait, will it? D'oh!

Could be, might even be worse I think. Plus, it won't be actually balanced will it? There is only one DAC so the amplifier stage will be balanced, but not the DAC section? I realise that is splitting hairs as the DAC used in the X7 is capable of 8 channels, but don't you technically need two separate DACs or have I missed something? I suspect I have missed something as the good people at FiiO know a little more than I do on the subject, but I am curious to know.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #10,466 of 18,020
Could be, might even be worse I think. Plus, it won't be actually balanced will it? There is only one DAC so the amplifier stage will be balanced, but not the DAC section? I realise that is splitting hairs as the DAC used in the X7 is capable of 8 channels, but don't you technically need two separate DACs or have I missed something? I suspect I have missed something as the good people at FiiO know a little more than I do on the subject, but I am curious to know.

The ESS1018S the X7 uses is an 8 channel DAC and used in many desktop amps in a true balanced configuration. No need to double up like the mobile ESS9019k2m 2 channel DAC found in most portable balanced gear.

No, you do not need two physical DACs as the signal is separate in the DAC when implemented for balanced output. A 2 channel DAC will have one channel for + and one for -. In a balanced configuration you need a + and - for each left and right. So having the 8 channel DAC in the X7 is twice as much as required for balanced output.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #10,467 of 18,020
The ESS1018S the X7 uses is an 8 channel DAC and used in many desktop amps in a true balanced configuration. No need to double up like the mobile ESS9019k2m 2 channel DAC found in most portable balanced gear.

No, you do not need two physical DACs as the signal is separate in the DAC when implemented for balanced output. A 2 channel DAC will have one channel for + and one for -. In a balanced configuration you need a + and - for each left and right. So having the 8 channel DAC in the X7 is twice as much as required for balanced output.

Thanks, I was just reading up on the DAC in the X7 again and found a similar explanation. Cheers.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #10,468 of 18,020

so battery life is not gonna get nuked right?

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #10,469 of 18,020
Mar 22, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #10,470 of 18,020
I know you americans aren't used to waiting, but this is the perfect time to learn that the USA is just another country
wink.gif

Well that that can't be true, that we're "just another country."

If we weren't here, Mexico and Canada would slam together with a terribly loud bang and shockwave.

No other country can say that.

Q.E.D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back