FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 19, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #916 of 18,020
  First of all I'm sorry for my english... Im Italian, I'll do my best to explain myself.

5) it is always very handy to have a digital clock on the display, I found very annoying not to have a clock on the Fiio X1 (but I LOVE it anyway...)

4) The ideal player does have two separate processors and amplification, like the IBasso dx90, to manage the right and left channel independently.

Oh, and in my previous post I forgot to mention: separate volume trimming (Fiio X1 does have it) and separate equalization for both channels, just in the case that the listener could have a slightly different hearing thresold...
That's it.

Sorry for my English, my Italian is much better

I looked over your English as though marking your homework. Couldn't find any errors! Well, you left out the h in threshold, big deal, lol. For my money, I could do without the clock. My idea is: keep it simple, leave out extraneous stuff 'cause it takes up space and adds weight and, might I ask, don't you have a watch?

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #917 of 18,020
Hey audiophiles, need some opinion and advice. I'm in the same camp as most of you and waiting for the Fiio X7 but until then I am considering getting the JDS LABS O2 +ODAC.  My question is would this be the better SQ in terms of wider sound stage, transparent neutral sound or would I better better off with the X5 + E12 amp combo ?   Btw I'm pairing with a NAD HP50 which is a pretty neutral pair of cans and plan to get a Sennheiser open cans like HD650 or HD800 down the road.  Thanks guys!

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #918 of 18,020
  Hey audiophiles, need some opinion and advice. I'm in the same camp as most of you and waiting for the Fiio X7 but until then I am considering getting the JDS LABS O2 +ODAC.  My question is would this be the better SQ in terms of wider sound stage, transparent neutral sound or would I better better off with the X5 + E12 amp combo ?   Btw I'm pairing with a NAD HP50 which is a pretty neutral pair of cans and plan to get a Sennheiser open cans like HD650 or HD800 down the road.  Thanks guys!

In my opinion, you should listen to X5+E12 combo and JDS LABS O2 +ODAC to compare their sound for yourself. Even more, you'd better pair the X5+E12 combo and O2 +ODAC with the cans you want to purchase, which are Sennheiser HD650 or HD800, during the audition. Other comparisons are more subjective and theoretical, as they are based on others' opinion based on their practice, or speculative at the best. Since I've touched upon the topic of speculations:HD650 and HD800 are (or at least considered to be by many people) the cans of top level, which require top source and amplifier to fully disclose their potential. So, theoretically (unluckily, I never heard any of them myself) neither X5, nor JDS LABS O2 +ODAC is good enough to get everything possible from these cans. Again, I assume from the prices of the sources and of the cans (even HD 650 cost almost twice as much as O2 +ODAC and no less than X5+E12 combo, not to mention HD 800's price). 
By the way, you're deciding between an AMP DAC (JDS LABS O2 +ODAC) and a DAP (with a DAC function)+AMP combo, thus between the two devices of different class and price. X5+E12 combo has an obvious advantage of X5's separate using as a portable DAP (which may be important, since you aim for X7, as you mentioned yourself), while O2 +ODAC is a DAC AMP that can't play music by itself:)        

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #919 of 18,020
  Please, please, please, NO TOUCHSCREEN!
Plenty of physical controls, easy to reach even with the PORTABLE player in our jacket.
No need of an analog volume knob.
Separate channel management & DAC.
Very good quality screen (OLED would be the best).
Optical/SPDIF output.
Digital clock. (Fiio X1 doesn't have it)
Silicon case in the box.
Good and versatile GUI
Good tactical feeling (brushed metal would be the best)

That's all, simple as that. No need of fireworks or integrated games or widgets.

Thanks

I totally agree: NO Touchscreen, physical controls, digital volume knob.

Also: not based on Android, Linux or whatever OS.
We need a quality purpose build software for that specific type of DAP.
And a startup as fast as possible :p

Comparing X1 with iPod classic (5th generation): the iPod has a more intiutive playlisthandler, so that would be nice.

Edit:
No clock for the DAP. It's a quality audioplayer, not a smarthphone with a lot of non necessary gadgets. Focus on the music. 

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #920 of 18,020
We need a quality purpose build software for that specific type of DAP.
And a startup as fast as possible :p

+1

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #921 of 18,020
Therefore, the fewer elements(high-quality ones)-the better.
Dear FIIO, please, don't try to put as many opamps and capacitors in X7's compartment as you possibly can!:) Just do the appropriate engineering and design a simple and effective circuitry, which results in better, more neutral and transparent sound while preserving the ESS 9018 DAC signature             

This was a helpful and well informed post. I protest on the grounds that it raises the level of discussion far too high.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #922 of 18,020
Ha! i have plenty of them! Thing is, when I hear music on my PC, a quick look on the status bar and here is the clock!, whan I hear music on the phone, a look on the screen and there is the clock! i've got so used to have it...so, since it is an inexpensive tool to add, why not add?

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #923 of 18,020
I agree. No touch screen android crap. What I love about Fiio is the fact that they focus on audio quality above all else. Please Fiio, don't ever change that. Stick with what you're doing.
I realize that the whole point of a business is to make as much money as possible. But sometimes, we need companies to focus on the most important aspect of the product for its intended users, rather than what would appeal to the masses

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #924 of 18,020
Oct 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #925 of 18,020
  About the ideal DAP to have 2 processors and amplification... what you're objecting is definitely correct, but after reading these two reviews, it seems that two separate DAP generate better results... or could it be only the different processor (wolfson vs. saber) ?

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/ibasso-dx90-dap-analisis-tecnico-y-review/

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/ibasso-dx50-dap-analisis-tecnico-y-review/

I would say,yes, the difference and therefore the superiority of dx90 over dx50 can be ascribed partly to the use of different DAC chips and, which is even more important, to different amp stage implementation and circuitry. I read posts by several people on player.ru forum, who use a modified version of dx50 (with reworked DAC auxiliary and amplification circuitry) and prefer it to dx90-thus emphasizing the significance of DAC chip's implementation and not only its choice.   

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #926 of 18,020
+1 to buttons and no touch screen.  Many's the time I accidently brushed fingers over my son's touch screen when he's playing me a song or video on his phone.  I love the button structure of the X5 especially with the TL case with the notches protecting the corner controls 'X' buttons.

I still crave some sort of limited screen-reading voice software if only to let me know what song, or folder  the curser is focussed on.  (Pipedream)

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #929 of 18,020
... So, theoretically (unluckily, I never heard any of them myself) neither X5, nor JDS LABS O2 +ODAC is good enough to get everything possible from these cans (HD 650 and HD 800).

You are right. I have heard the X5 with the HD 800 and the X5 was definitely not up to the task. The X7 won't be up to it either (if Fiio go ahead with their specified weak amp section in this DAP).

Has anybody tried the X5/E12 combo with the HD 800?

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #930 of 18,020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back