FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 6, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #887 of 18,020
  That's what I mean by audio focused custom rom from a phone with a powerful processor. It can be designed to play various  formats and streaming.

My gear Samsung s4 & usb audio player pro app with UD120 > EHP-02 amp > DT770 250 ohms headphones
Awesome for the price.
Maybe  AK240 but you can't play spotify on it ... the future is streaming audio.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #888 of 18,020
Just a thought; a video out port + cable would be nice. Allot of car head units have AUX and Video in (RCA), being able to mirror the DAP's screen via a video out port on the head unit would be nice. It'd also mean that I'd be able to plug it into my TV while my music is playing.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #890 of 18,020
Here is my suggestion:

+1 to the person that said "empty mSATA ssd slot"

- Add eInk Pannel, not sure about everyone else but some advantages of eink over LCD is: battery life, much easier to view in the sun, doesn't emit as much blue light as LCD screens (in other words you won't get eye strain because it is similar to reading paper)

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #892 of 18,020
Hence niche, we are already a niche community asking a for niche product to fulfill a niche need , now someone wants a niche feature in that product. I dunno seems really unlikely and something you put at the bottom of the list for the product feature you want

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #893 of 18,020
Here is my suggestion:

+1 to the person that said "empty mSATA ssd slot"

- Add eInk Pannel, not sure about everyone else but some advantages of eink over LCD is: battery life, much easier to view in the sun, doesn't emit as much blue light as LCD screens (in other words you won't get eye strain because it is similar to reading paper)

OLED

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #897 of 18,020
I was able to compare my X5/E12DIY with a friend's RWAK240 recently and while the 240 was slightly better overall, the X5 combo was very close and excelled in certain SQ aspects (like being more neutral / less warm)

Loquah

I am pushing the same barrow as before.

I am still hoping Fiio will deliver a real "statement product" X7 (however belated this wish might be) . Your comment about the X5/E12DIY comparison with the AK240 demonstrates that Fiio have the technology and capability of making something that competes head on for SQ with the very best statement products in the market.

Imagine what Fiio could achieve in the X7 by combining an upgrade to the X5 DAC stage with an E12 type amp capability.

Fiio is it too late in the X7 design process?

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #898 of 18,020
E INK is too unattractive (picture wise) and given that this is a portable player screen is off most of the times... OLED however is a must for me - I don't like LCDs and their low contrast and greyish blacks. Color accuracy and resolution is not that important (480 x 800 for 4"-4,3" is enough).
Specification looks good I think. I'm hoping there will be a well implemented bass boost (very useful for some headphones and equalizer isn't enough).
DAC part should be great and power seems reasonable.
I definitely don't like how sensitive are the buttons on X5 - there should be some improvements in that area.
Interface doesn't matter all that much - I think most people will adjust. Simpliest solutions are usually the best ones.
And given that FiiO is planning to use Android - it should be compatible with all streaming services (that would be a great plus). WIMP is already streaming lossless and so will Spotify. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #899 of 18,020
  E INK is too unattractive (picture wise) and given that this is a portable player screen is off most of the times... OLED however is a must for me - I don't like LCDs and their low contrast and greyish blacks. Color accuracy and resolution is not that important (480 x 800 for 4"-4,3" is enough).
Specification looks good I think. I'm hoping there will be a well implemented bass boost (very useful for some headphones and equalizer isn't enough).
DAC part should be great and power seems reasonable.
I definitely don't like how sensitive are the buttons on X5 - there should be some improvements in that area.
Interface doesn't matter all that much - I think most people will adjust. Simpliest solutions are usually the best ones.
And given that FiiO is planning to use Android - it should be compatible with all streaming services (that would be a great plus). WIMP is already streaming lossless and so will Spotify. 

I like how you think.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #900 of 18,020
Pity James doesn't show up to tell us about the advancement of X7 development and manufacture:frowning2: Or at least about the extent, to which FiiO still heeds the posts of this thread. 
I don't want to offend any of the site members or people, who make posts in the thread about wanting video outs, big (4" and wider screen), bluetooth and Wi-Fi support on X7, etc., but, obviously, those features are irrelevant to DAP's fundamental features such as sound quality, audio formats support, battery life, usability (ergonomics, DAC feature). Just want to point out again that there is nothing wrong in many outs or a big screen on the DAP, but these features don't come free as if to say-to implement them one must sacrifice the fundamental functionality. So, here is my personal list of wanted features:
-sound quality (neutral sound, wide, but not oversized and software boosted soundstage, tight and well-controlled bass, clear, sibilant free and non-fatiguing highs, informative and clear middles)
-good battery life (12 hours or more)
-popular formats support: besides the FLAC, APE, ALAC, lossy formats and native DSD support I'm dreaming of TAK format support on X7, but the author, as far as I know, has not disclosed the sourcecode and there is no hardware TAK-decoding support, at least on mobile devices...While FLAC and APE are good enough, TAK, to my thinking, encompasses all their advantages-FLAC's low hardware requirements and APE's high compression rate. Besides, TAK is multithreaded and one can utilize all the multicore CPU computing power while encoding or converting even a single file into TAK.
-good circuitry for implementation of USB DAC feature, maybe a good dedicated USB signal receiving chip (VIA VT1731, for example) with good jitter suppression 
-SPDIF out with reasonably low jitter (I don't want to say that X5 coax out has high jitter, actually I don't know, but there is always a room for improvement:)
-good TCXO chip for SABRE ESS 9018 DAC
-high-contrast IPS screen (2,4-3" max)
-don't really care about X7 amplifier's output power,only about it's transparence cause I, as many people, use eartbuds. Don't think it's worth chasing for high output power
-software-wise: firmware with all the android useless system services (if X7 is to have an android-based firmware), which only draw power from the battery and consume CPU cycles, meticulously excluded from it by FiiO's firmware developers
-if there is a chance of android applications support, then I would even pay somebody for writing a Dynamic Range meter application for X7 (an analogue of Dynamic Range Meter plugin for Foobar2000)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back