FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 21, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #931 of 18,020
Me on the other hand would like an android firmware with wifi function to enable wireless streaming through NAS or wireless network/app.

Sound quality and all is a given as this is supposed to be FiiO's ultimate DAP, so the above features would be a big plus for those who doesn't want to spend a **** load on an AK.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #932 of 18,020
Me on the other hand would like an android firmware with wifi function to enable wireless streaming through NAS or wireless network/app.

Sound quality and all is a given as this is supposed to be FiiO's ultimate DAP, so the above features would be a big plus for those who doesn't want to spend a **** load on an AK.

No offense, but then you could better buy a smarthphone instead of a high end DAP.
Such an ultimate device should be as basic as possible.
Butttons instead of touchscreen. And more buttons if needed, so you avoid those stupid things as:
push button 2 seconds for playback, push the same button 4 seconds for next song, push the same button 6 seconds for the menu, etc...

No extra downloadable apps or extra's, just plain dedicated software, specially written for that device.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #933 of 18,020
No offense, but then you could better buy a smarthphone instead of a high end DAP.
Butttons instead of touchscreen. And more buttons if needed, so you avoid those stupid things as:
push button 2 seconds for playback, push the same button 4 seconds for next song, push the same button 6 seconds for the menu, etc...

No extra downloadable apps or extra's, just plain dedicated software, specially written for that device.

And no offence, but this thread is for the ultimate DAP. Not a simplified SQ focused only DAP with primitive push buttons and black white pixel screen.

Having wifi solves capacity issues as I'll be able to access terabytes worth of music files wherever I am as long as there is Internet connection.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #934 of 18,020
Touchscreen is great for scrolling through files and menus and to be able to easily search music but IMO hardware buttons are a must for a DAP. Not everyone wants to be bothered to take the DAP in his hand every time he wants to stop or change a track or something. There might just be play/pause and skip buttons on the side of the DAP to keep the front clean and clear space for a bigger screen but they should be there. A DAP is not a smartphone and one should be able to operate at least the most basic features without taking it out of his pocket.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #935 of 18,020

You can't just see it as your vision of ultimate design. Such a design would have very negative influence on popularity and sales of this DAP. Like it or not but streaming capabilities is a big plus and well implemented touch screen and Android software greatly enhance capabilities and flexibility of the device. It shouldn't have any negative effect on sound quality. Remember that FiiO is planning to use relatively small screen on a device which size is comparable with 5" smartphones. That means that there's no reason why there can't be enough physical buttons.

I know that all of us have slightly different vision of perfect DAP but there's always gonna be some compromises.
I what to suggest that the playback control buttons should be on top of the device (like with Sony NWZ-X1000 series). Volume and power buttons on sides. Something like this....

sony-walkman-nwz-x1000-series_2.jpg

It was by far the best player I had when it comes to ergonomics. Headphone out could be on one side of top panel and line out and coaxial on the other (for example).

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #936 of 18,020
And no offence, but this thread is for the ultimate DAP. Not a simplified SQ focused only DAP with primitive push buttons and black white pixel screen.

Having wifi solves capacity issues as I'll be able to access terabytes worth of music files wherever I am as long as there is Internet connection.

Agreed. If you want great SQ, with an archaic interface, Hifiman fits that bill perfectly. Buttons, knobs, and antiquated design.

Give me modern DAP, touchscreen, wifi, and killer SQ, at a reasonable price, no brainer.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #937 of 18,020

+1 for that.  I don't need to search or anything with a touch screen.  If I wanted all of that, I would have bought a smartphone.  I'm only interested in sound quality and tactile functionality.  And I'd rather get this from FiiO than an overpriced AK. I can acknowledge  the desireability for a touch screen as long as button accessibility isn't compromised too much.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #938 of 18,020
  Touchscreen is great for scrolling through files and menus and to be able to easily search music but IMO hardware buttons are a must for a DAP. Not everyone wants to be bothered to take the DAP in his hand every time he wants to stop or change a track or something. There might just be play/pause and skip buttons on the side of the DAP to keep the front clean and clear space for a bigger screen but they should be there. A DAP is not a smartphone and one should be able to operate at least the most basic features without taking it out of his pocket.

+1!  - although I am not living by that creed and just bought a dap that is a touch screen
rolleyes.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #939 of 18,020
What I would like to see implemented in a high-class portable player is this: Separate batteries (and grounds) for the digital part and the amplifier part.

Screen, processors and digital components leech power and create disturbances and noise. In my experience, sound quality and musicality improves if the amp can have its own powersource, separated from the demands and interferencies of the digital part.

The main difficulty with this, as I see it, is charging. One USB connector for each battery would be less practical than one. But Fiio solved the problem with charging and managing a 11.1 Volt battery earlier, so I have good hopes that they would be capable of solving this problem too :)

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #940 of 18,020

+1
Please add DLNA function to the music player app

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #941 of 18,020
This will be an interesting device when it comes out. My own main points are as follows:

1. Android, stock or near stock would be great, similar to what runs on a Nexus device
2. wifi, almost a given for the above point, but still awesome
3. USB DAC support, always a supporter of this idea, some may disagree
4. Volume knob, play control buttons, etc.

Android seems to be liked and disliked around here, but my own personal take on that is that Android is an open platform. There are many good apps out there that will play music, stream it or do whatever magic you need it to do. If one does not exist, it can be developed. Having a specific OS made for an "ultimate" DAP may or may not limit what the end user wants, for me the ability to tweak always makes me take a second look.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #942 of 18,020
  This will be an interesting device when it comes out. My own main points are as follows:

1. Android, stock or near stock would be great, similar to what runs on a Nexus device
2. wifi, almost a given for the above point, but still awesome
3. USB DAC support, always a supporter of this idea, some may disagree
4. Volume knob, play control buttons, etc.

Android seems to be liked and disliked around here, but my own personal take on that is that Android is an open platform. There are many good apps out there that will play music, stream it or do whatever magic you need it to do. If one does not exist, it can be developed. Having a specific OS made for an "ultimate" DAP may or may not limit what the end user wants, for me the ability to tweak always makes me take a second look.

Yeah, I guess Android wouldn't be so bad.  There is available software for some of us to hear where we are.  I'm still hoping mainly for a suped-up form of the X5  with the new dac mentioned somewhere on this thread.  I like knowing that accidently touching the screen won't send me to god-knows-where on the player.  JMUO

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #943 of 18,020
- No bigger than the X5

- A setting for "Play next folder?" So, I can play CD1, CD2, CD3, etc., inside my folder for Mozart, Vivaldi, et.al.

- A setting for "IEM, Portable and Full-size" headphones. That may prolong or shorten the battery life, but plays nicely with preferred headphones/earphones.

- At least 10 hours of battery. I prefer a non-replaceable one, but an option for a "snap-able battery pack" for those long trips. Similar to snapping the E12 on the X5?

- Simple physical buttons for dedicated Play/Pause, Back and Forward.

- Between a touch screen or longer battery life, I'd choose the latter

- An option to set the two MicroSD card slots to be recognized as "Seamless or Separate"  This way, I can switch from my "Classical MicroSD and Jazz MicroSD"

- Less than $700 would be nice

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #945 of 18,020
  - No bigger than the X5

- A setting for "Play next folder?" So, I can play CD1, CD2, CD3, etc., inside my folder for Mozart, Vivaldi, et.al.

- A setting for "IEM, Portable and Full-size" headphones. That may prolong or shorten the battery life, but plays nicely with preferred headphones/earphones.

- At least 10 hours of battery. I prefer a non-replaceable one, but an option for a "snap-able battery pack" for those long trips. Similar to snapping the E12 on the X5?

- Simple physical buttons for dedicated Play/Pause, Back and Forward.

- Between a touch screen or longer battery life, I'd choose the latter

- An option to set the two MicroSD card slots to be recognized as "Seamless or Separate"  This way, I can switch from my "Classical MicroSD and Jazz MicroSD"

- Less than $700 would be nice

+1

And a smoother, more intiutive use of playlists which you can tweak (personalize).
And I go for a replacable battery. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back