FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Sep 24, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #811 of 18,020
Battery: For a 700$USD player coming out in 2015, 10 houres of battery life is totaly unacceptable... hell it should be minimum 15 houres and idealy 20 houres. If you have to make it heavier then be it!

Data Transfer: What still USB 2.0!? Its got to be a joke again at such price and by today's standard. You can already have USB 3.0 on a 15$ flash drive but at least since 90% of the music will be anyway on the external TF cards then I guess it doesn't matter much if it can help lower the cost as most people will prolly be using USB 3.0 SD card reader to make their transfer. Also why the heck have wifi?! It's totaly useless and will raise the complexity and price of the product to isolate it even further from the radio frequencies. It's really not necessary! Same thing for Bluetooth, seriously... no one is ever gonna use a cheap bluetooth earbuds on their 700$ DAP.

Memory: I wouldn't mind no onboard memory if it can lower the cost and create extra room inside the X7 to finaly have some real external memory and by that I mean BIG SD CARDS ***! Not stupid Micro-SD cards... notice how the Micro-SD is slower and much more expensive?! There is only 1 company doing 128Gb yet so that card cost 2.4x the price of a 64Gb Micro-SD card which is really outrageous. SD cards are so thin anyway that you definitely can make a dual-SD slot.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In my opinion I shouldn't have to pay more for my DAP than my high-end headphones. I currently use (Beyerdynamic T90) which are worth 650$ though I paid 500$ and I would never pay more than 350-400$ for a very very high-end DAP. If it cost more then it's either because the company is overcharging or wasting money on marketing, useless features, etc. I only want to listen to music, it's not a cellphone damnit so skip the blutooth crap, wireless, any apps, videos, HD screen, Touch screen, blablabla... and reduce the overall price.

In fact I would even say, scrap the amp completly so we can then only pay for the DSP mainly as you gotta be dumb anyway to use a 700$ DAP with the cheap built-in amp for your 650$+ 250Ohm headphone. Anybody with a serious mind will be strapping it to a Fiio E12 so I don't want to pay for unnecessary features!

Whoah trigger.

Not everyone wants a huge stack to carry around with a portable amp, and not everyone uses full sized headphones. A lot of quality IEMs (very expensive also) are very good sounding and don't need external amps so there are many people who would never use a portable amp with the unit. FiiO isn't in the habit of using cheap quality amps in their products either. What you are saying is that anyone who bought an Astel and Kern player, for example, is out of their mind for paying the price of their unit. I'm sure they would disagree.

If it's too much for you to pay that's cool, but careful when making broad statements about what others value.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #812 of 18,020
I travel by public transport and carrying a DAP is already awkward enough in this city where most people use their cellphone for music/radio.... carrying a stack really draws too much unnecessary attention... and I really use DAP only when I am outdoor...I for the right mind would avoid using headphones outdoor too

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #813 of 18,020

Battery: For a 700$USD player coming out in 2015, 10 houres of battery life is totaly unacceptable... hell it should be minimum 15 houres and idealy 20 houres. If you have to make it heavier then be it!

Data Transfer: What still USB 2.0!? Its got to be a joke again at such price and by today's standard. You can already have USB 3.0 on a 15$ flash drive but at least since 90% of the music will be anyway on the external TF cards then I guess it doesn't matter much if it can help lower the cost as most people will prolly be using USB 3.0 SD card reader to make their transfer. Also why the heck have wifi?! It's totaly useless and will raise the complexity and price of the product to isolate it even further from the radio frequencies. It's really not necessary! Same thing for Bluetooth, seriously... no one is ever gonna use a cheap bluetooth earbuds on their 700$ DAP.

Memory: I wouldn't mind no onboard memory if it can lower the cost and create extra room inside the X7 to finaly have some real external memory and by that I mean BIG SD CARDS ***! Not stupid Micro-SD cards... notice how the Micro-SD is slower and much more expensive?! There is only 1 company doing 128Gb yet so that card cost 2.4x the price of a 64Gb Micro-SD card which is really outrageous. SD cards are so thin anyway that you definitely can make a dual-SD slot.

In my opinion I shouldn't have to pay more for my DAP than my high-end headphones. I currently use (Beyerdynamic T90) which are worth 650$ though I paid 500$ and I would never pay more than 350-400$ for a very very high-end DAP. If it cost more then it's either because the company is overcharging or wasting money on marketing, useless features, etc. I only want to listen to music, it's not a cellphone damnit so skip the blutooth crap, wireless, any apps, videos, HD screen, Touch screen, blablabla... and reduce the overall price.

In fact I would even say, scrap the amp completly so we can then only pay for the DSP mainly as you gotta be dumb anyway to use a 700$ DAP with the cheap built-in amp for your 650$+ 250Ohm headphone. Anybody with a serious mind will be strapping it to a Fiio E12 so I don't want to pay for unnecessary features!

Price is already fixed to around 700$, so you should just get the X5 or DX90 and unsubscribe from this thread since you would never pay more than 350-400$ for a DAP.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #814 of 18,020

and here I thought I was out of place. You're obscene.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #815 of 18,020

Mr. Panzer, this is General Patton speaking. You were really on a roll for a while and I agreed with you totally, esp. about wifi and bluetooth, but when you went off about eliminating the amp, you went too far though you certainly have a right to your opinion. However, the tone of your composition showed more an autocrat than a critic.

Not all of us are willing to carry around a huge stack and, I for one am definitely not. Oh, and for what I know about the quality that Fiio puts out, I don't mind at all paying $700 as I consider that a  reasonable price and I certainly would not want Fiio to skimp on quality to meet your price requirements.
As far as microsd cards go, the larger type would be nice and, perhaps you are right that they can be fitted on The coming X7.

I will be using the K10 iems and would consider them appropriate with a dap of the quality that I'm sure Fiio intends and I believe most users would use good quality and even expensive daps with the X7.
10 hours of  battery life is good enough for me b/c I would not use more than 6 hours while I'm out and about. When I got home I would simply recharge them so 10 hours for me is more than enough, case closed.
Strange though, you don't seem to have mention UI, which for me is my main concern after sound quality and I hope that shall have been developed to first rate quality. Fiio certainly is getting the practice with the  3 daps they have come out with and I have every confidence that it will be better than ever, right James?

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #817 of 18,020
In my view, SQ, UI, battery life and price are the most important aspects.

I agree that any wifi, bluetooth or any other fancy feature should not be the main concern of a TOTL, audiophile DAP. X7 is not going to be a smartphone to be used by typical consumers but would be a DAP used by people obsessed with the sound quality.
Moreover, I would also add that the portable DAP should not focus on power issues i.e. since this is portable device its power should be enough to drive portable headphones, IEMs and CIEMs; anyone wanting to driver planar or similar headphones should be aware of the need to add amp to X7.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #818 of 18,020
Focus on the sound/UI forget the gimics and keep the size/price/weight down.

Yes, all these extras take up space and add weight. I don't mind extra apps, since the operating system would be Android after all
Besides, Bluetooth and wifi both emit microwaves, am I right? If that's so then that would mean it's unhealthy, so I wouldn't be willing to carry the device near my body. I don't allow my smartphone to be next to my body except for phone calls and I don't put the phone next to my head, instead using the speaker.
If this is true, I hope these devices can be disabled as I imagine they could be, right? Or that would be a dealbreaker for me as far as X7 is concerned.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #819 of 18,020
I would like to know how the selling price of the X7 can be decided before the specifications/components of the unit are known. Do companies just pick a number out of the air that they think we will be willing/gullible to pay no matter what the unit actually costs to produce?

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #821 of 18,020
Well, there is this... :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #822 of 18,020
Well, there is this...
biggrin.gif

Is that volume wheel analog volume control?

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #823 of 18,020
It is hard to tell at this point... which would you prefer it be, analog or digital? :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #824 of 18,020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back