FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Sep 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #841 of 18,019
That's what product mix for. You have X1, X3, X5. to match the customers budget. If you want more, you gotta pay more.

Ya well that's why I am gonna buy an X3 as soon as I can find one in-stock in Canada as they're backorder right now and there's pretty much nothing on eBay.

When you say "If you want more you gotta pay more", well I honnestly don't mind at all paying more but I hate wasting money on thing I don't need and for example the X7 at 700$ definitely cost that much because of all the useless BS it is gonna include such as wifi, bluetooth, apps "developement time", higher-res and bigger screen for let me remind you... something that is meant to listen music, not to replace your cellphone or watch videos! If I could pay an extra ONLY for the improved DAC then I would gladly do it but if to get that better DAC I have to pay first for it, then for all the other crap I ain't gonna use a single time then I won't be happy. Many people seems to misunderstand this point which I'm trying to make.

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #842 of 18,019
  Ya well that's why I am gonna buy an X3 as soon as I can find one in-stock in Canada as they're backorder right now and there's pretty much nothing on eBay.

When you say "If you want more you gotta pay more", well I honnestly don't mind at all paying more but I hate wasting money on thing I don't need and for example the X7 at 700$ definitely cost that much because of all the useless BS it is gonna include such as wifi, bluetooth, apps "developement time", higher-res and bigger screen for let me remind you... something that is meant to listen music, not to replace your cellphone or watch videos! If I could pay an extra ONLY for the improved DAC then I would gladly do it but if to get that better DAC I have to pay first for it, then for all the other crap I ain't gonna use a single time then I won't be happy. Many people seems to misunderstand this point which I'm trying to make.

I myself entirely agree with you up to the point where you mention omitting the amp. I'll gladly pay the $700 or even more for simply better SQ, better UI and ... I would like a larger screen for more info on what's playing.

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #844 of 18,019

Didn't realize you were the only one in the DAP market that mattered.........

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #846 of 18,019

Totally agree with this !

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #847 of 18,019
The A in DAP stands for Audio. This is a fact. It's not a digital video player or a digital game player. That being said, in my opinion, only audio-related features should be included on a DAP. This would include Bluetooth, Wi-fi (For streaming), Apps (for streaming) etc. Games are a battery killer and that means less audio time. Same goes for Video. Useless functions on a DAP. That's what I have a tablet and phone for. Stupid games and videos while on the can. Yeesh.

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #849 of 18,019
jamesfiio
With the appearance of more and more loseless streaming apps like Qobuz http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/ and the coming Tidal http://tidalhifi.com/, X7 cannot ignore the trend!! X7 will be a killer dap, if it incorporates apps like these. I have high hopes on the yet-to-come Tidal (coming online next month, I guess), please follow them and see if X7 can sing along with it!!

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #850 of 18,019
Too bad. That's not what they feel
biggrin.gif

Hey, just putting in my two cents. Fiio asked, after all :wink:

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #851 of 18,019
My 'dream DAP' logic is simple: if it is possible to improve sound quality by connecting DAP to some suitable external headphone amplifier (priority 1: sound quality) - then it must also be possible to connect DAP to some external storage device with suitable capacity (priority 2: storage space for music library files).

There are 2x microSD card slots In FiiO X7 (same as in X5).

The question is:

Is it possible to utilize one of those slots to connect X7 (or to X5) to some external 2.5" SATA hard drive, using the right microSD-to-SATA interface? (naturally, the 2.5" hard drive must be self-powered, must use its own battery and all that).

FiiO X7 microCD slot <--> interface in question <--> 2.5" SATA hard drive (500GB or 1TB)

What kind of interface is required (maybe it's called SDXC-to-SATA, or TF-to-SATA), is it available on the market?

Would X7 (or X5) firmware support 500GB or 1TB external drive, connected in such a way?

If the answer is negative - then I hope it would be not too unreasonable to propose external SATA interface in X7, so users can connect their small SATA devices (including 2.5" SATA hard drives) to X7 externally.

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #853 of 18,019
... The question is:

Is it possible to utilize one of those slots to connect X7 (or to X5) to some external 2.5" SATA hard drive, using the right microSD-to-SATA interface? (naturally, the 2.5" hard drive must be self-powered, must use its own battery and all that).

FiiO X7 microCD slot <--> interface in question <--> 2.5" SATA hard drive (500GB or 1TB)

What kind of interface is required (maybe it's called SDXC-to-SATA, or TF-to-SATA), is it available on the market?

As information, modern Android Devices support Storage OTG (On The Go), this is supported by many phones.
Reportedly it is also supported by the X5 at this moment.

It is called:     Storage OTG.
                     Requires a device with the correct USB chipset
                     + USB OTG cable (also often used for DAC's)

So it is connected trough the standard Micro USB port of the device.

I use a 1TB 2.5" and a 500GB SSD on my Samsung Galaxy S5 on a regular bases.
It is also my wish for the X7 to support storage OTG. It will provide almost unlimited storage.

Note: A 2.5" harddisk uses about 1,9Watt of power (or more), a 500GB SSD uses 0.1Watt (or less). So driving the harddrive drains power much more rapid then an SSD. Something to keep in mind.

Hope this can serv,
Kind regards,

Casper

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #854 of 18,019

We have all talked about SQ & convenience & price, but what about  output power. Output power has a major influence on SQ, particular when driving higher quality full size headphones.

The original X7 specs were listed as 320 mw @ 32 ohms (only slightly more than the X5)
The Fiio E12 is rated at 880mw @ 32 ohms and is capable of driving most headphones. The X5 can’t, at least not with highest fidelity.

For me output power and the capacity to mate with top headphones (you can name them) is crucial in a flagship X7.

I would like the X7 to be an upgraded X5 combined with an upgraded E12 - in one case!

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #855 of 18,019

We have all talked about SQ & convenience & price, but what about  output power. Output power has a major influence on SQ, particular when driving higher quality full size headphones.

The original X7 specs were listed as 320 mw @ 32 ohms (only slightly more than the X5)
The Fiio E12 is rated at 880mw @ 32 ohms and is capable of driving most headphones. The X5 can’t, at least not with highest fidelity.

For me output power and the capacity to mate with top headphones (you can name them) is crucial in a flagship X7.

I would like the X7 to be an upgraded X5 combined with an upgraded E12 - in one case!

Before I comment I want to clarify that I'm about to share a differing perspective, but it is in no way at all meant to make your perspective less important or valid.

My take on a DAP (emphasising that this is just or me and not saying your take is wrong in any way) is that I use it on the go and therefore mostly with IEMs so I would personally prefer the highest quality sound even if it means less power. Of course if we can have both then that's great, but quality of power and portability (i.e. small size) would be my preference over an emphasis on quantity of power.

I'm interested to see the way FiiO ends up going on this and quietly hope we can have both lots of power when required and also awesome quality with sensitive IEMs, but I know that can be a tall order

Users who are viewing this thread

Back