FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 27, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #7,651 of 18,020
Why is the sound on Spotify lower than the music stock app? I know Joe said that's it done to reduce clipping, but is it possible to remove this decibel suppression to make it match the music app?

What would be the point if you just end up with a clipped signal?

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #7,652 of 18,020
Seems to be working now after switching to a different USB cable, thx everyone for ur replies.
gs1000.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #7,653 of 18,020
You know what would be pretty kickass? If one (or all) of the upcoming FiiO amps had USB-C.

It would maybe fix some problems some users have right now, and even if it didn't. It would improve the experience of the users a ton.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #7,654 of 18,020
I understand some devices are better than the FiiO but it is a music player first and a music streamer second.

Sorry, but that's a completely BS excuse. What are we to say about the E18 then? That thing gets major interference, yet it was "designed" to be used with phones. (not having a go at you btw)

All this, plain a simply, is a lack of foresight when the devices were designed

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #7,655 of 18,020
Seems to be working now after switching to a different USB cable, thx everyone for ur replies. :gs1000smile:

The same thing happened to me. At first, every time I plugged in the cable, my unit prompted me to turn on USB Storage. Then it stopped prompting me. I think it was something I did. Maybe I ignored it once, or something. Never scorn the Chinese.

If this happens to you again, on the new cable, following the steps I laid out, can reignite the prompting.

Swipe down from the LEFT side (where the USB icon is). You will see an alert saying "USB connected". Click on it. Now you'll see a full-page window with a button at the bottom that says "Turn on USB Storage". Do it.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #7,656 of 18,020
Sorry, but that's a completely BS excuse. What are we to say about the E18 then? That thing gets major interference, yet it was "designed" to be used with phones. (not having a go at you btw)

Are we talking about hissing here? If we are, FiiO screwed the pooch hard. I grate my teeth when I hear that static and hiss in my E17K, that could be the sensitivity of my IEM's, but it shouldn't matter. It's annoying as hell. I checked to see if it was my source, it wasn't. USB mode is even worse.

I hope the X7 doesn't have this problem (in pure music mode).

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #7,657 of 18,020
  This suggests that despite what Fiio are saying that this is a quality issue with certain units, bodes well if I get a replacement unit.

Indeed so fingers crossed for the 3 of us affected.

Anyone consider that not all WiFi sources are the same, are in the same location, have the same transmitting power, etc..

Any time there is a WiFi signal you run the chance that you'll get noise. Happens with the Mojo too when using mobile phones. It's just a fact of going wireless. I understand some devices are better than the FiiO but it is a music player first and a music streamer second. It blows my mind that some users are considering switching to a device without WiFi that costs more money, even though they like the sound of the X7 and can simply turn off WiFi.

Whilst I agree with you I have access to 3 different wifi networks, from 3 seperate providers, 3 different router models and in 3 different locations, all from my house. Sadly I have the same sound on all three, I have access to change the settings on 2 of them are mine to try different things. Any suggestions appreciated though.
  As I outlined few pages ago when the WiFi issue was first mentioned: I have a hypothesis that the presence of WiFi noise is the product of combination of the WiFi hardware and it's settings. 

If you hear the noise check if your router/access point is N with MIMO capable, test your signal strength (WiFi Analyzer on the Play Store), switch to different WiFi channel, if possible set 40Mhz channel width for your 2.4GHz network. Use your phone as a hotspot and check if you still get the interference.

I will double check again and hopefully find something, however tonight I'm feeling like I have banged my head against a brik wall repeatedly with it heh

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #7,658 of 18,020
Are we talking about hissing here? If we are, FiiO screwed the pooch hard. I grate my teeth when I hear that static and hiss in my E17K, that could be the sensitivity of my IEM's, but it shouldn't matter. It's annoying as hell. I checked to see if it was my source, it wasn't. USB mode is even worse.

I hope the X7 doesn't have this problem (in pure music mode).

There's no streaming in Pure Music Mode, so the wifi interference some folk are reporting oughtn't be a problem.

Unless you're downloading a firmware update while listening. Then I suppose it could be.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #7,659 of 18,020

Not making excuses for anyone. Physics are physics and if there is a strong signal you'll get interference. WiFi interference happens with A&K players, Oppo HA-2, Mojo, and almost every other thread I've read on a device with WiFi capabilities, or connections with smartphones.

Sure, perhaps FiiO could have shielded the WiFi better but then again some users get noise and others don't. I'm sure that the physical manufacturing can't be that different between units so the only thing left is different routers, router settings, different signal strengths etc, etc,. Also, as highlit in the Mojo thread, the cables can basically act as an atennae and pick up noise/EMI. It sucks but it happens.

My earlier remark was more pointed at the comments that another player without WiFi was a consideration. If going that route then why not simply turn off WiFi?

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #7,660 of 18,020
Anyone consider that not all WiFi sources are the same, are in the same location, have the same transmitting power, etc..

Any time there is a WiFi signal you run the chance that you'll get noise. Happens with the Mojo too when using mobile phones. It's just a fact of going wireless. I understand some devices are better than the FiiO but it is a music player first and a music streamer second. It blows my mind that some users are considering switching to a device without WiFi that costs more money, even though they like the sound of the X7 and can simply turn off WiFi.

I get the part about WiFi sources etc however I have no issues streaming to other mobile devices on the same network nor does my partner on her devices.  

The part I disagree with is around the X7 being a music player first and streamer second.  

The product page for Fiio X7 has streaming abilities listed high amongst it features so it should be a near flawless experience.  

Now if my product is just faulty then that's fine, bit of a pain but not the end of the world, send it back and try a replacement model.
If it's a problem that can be fixed with a firmware upgrade then again I'm fine with that, I don't mind being an early adaptor and things being fixed as the product matures.
What I have an issue with is for Fiio to say it's not a fault of the unit but a hardware issue that can be resolved by turning wifi off, this is not a solution as it now doesn't perform in the way advertised.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #7,661 of 18,020
Not making excuses for anyone. Physics are physics and if there is a strong signal you'll get interference. WiFi interference happens with A&K players, Oppo HA-2, Mojo, and almost every other thread I've read on a device with WiFi capabilities, or connections with smartphones.

Sure, perhaps FiiO could have shielded the WiFi better but then again some users get noise and others don't. I'm sure that the physical manufacturing can't be that different between units so the only thing left is different routers, router settings, different signal strengths etc, etc,. Also, as highlit in the Mojo thread, the cables can basically act as an atennae and pick up noise/EMI. It sucks but it happens.

My earlier remark was more pointed at the comments that another player without WiFi was a consideration. If going that route then why not simply turn off WiFi?

With the Mojo though I can turn wifi off if I get interference(which I do) but it's not so much an issue as I didnt buy the Mojo for it's streaming abilities.  

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #7,662 of 18,020

I get the part about WiFi sources etc however I have no issues streaming to other mobile devices on the same network nor does my partner on her devices.  

The part I disagree with is around the X7 being a music player first and streamer second.  

The product page for Fiio X7 has streaming abilities listed high amongst it features so it should be a near flawless experience.  

Now if my product is just faulty then that's fine, bit of a pain but not the end of the world, send it back and try a replacement model.
If it's a problem that can be fixed with a firmware upgrade then again I'm fine with that, I don't mind being an early adaptor and things being fixed as the product matures.
What I have an issue with is for Fiio to say it's not a fault of the unit but a hardware issue that can be resolved by turning wifi off, this is not a solution as it now doesn't perform in the way advertised.

100% my take on it too.

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #7,663 of 18,020
  Just a quick update on USB DAC support on the latest v1.5 firmware - neither the stock music app, Neutron, nor Onkyo HF player's OTG will work - when it does, it tends to sound very glitchy with lots of noise and distortion. So far, only USB Audio Player Pro is able to work with USB DAC, but you must have USB tweak 1 enable in the setting. It seems the reason is that the X7's USB (or its SRC?) clock is interfering with the USB DAC's clock, and only UAPP has the setting to disable clock on X7. Last but not least, DSD playback via DoP is also glitchy, even on UAPP.

Hey bud, how'd you access the USB dac menu? I tried finding it after attaching it directly to my mac, and also docked to the K5. I tried looking for the USB DAC menu everywhere, but can't find it
:frowning2:

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #7,665 of 18,020

I get it, and it's too bad that some people get interference and others don't, but there are a lot of variables with WiFi and like I said earlier FiiO isn't the only device with people complaining about WiFi noise. I'm not sure that the hardware manufacturing would vary so much from unit to unit with regard to the WiFi unit and antenna. I believe it has more to do with the wide range of WiFi signals and routers than with X7 hardware variances. Of course in a perfect world there wouldn't be any issue, but there is, and it sucks, but I'm just saying its not limited to the X7. I wish there was a best solution, and especially wish FiiO had implemented better shielding, but as it is I would expect WiFi issues, but that's me, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back