FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 13, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #5,386 of 18,020
That's. . .wow um. . .seriously?  That's actually LESS powerful than the X3ii, half as powerful actually, and only 40% as powerful as the X3ii.  Why exactly would they make their far more expensive flagship player be significantly less powerful than their earlier, lower-end players in its stock configuration?  I get that the module is supposed to be for IEM's and all that, but that doesn't and shouldn't preclude the possibility of it having a higher power output nonetheless.

Could it be. . .is this Fiio's version of an attempt to get us to buy extra stuff like the other amp modules?  That would be pretty annoying, if that's the strategy they're using here as a business.

Edit:  I've seen many companies that use various strategies to try to coerce people into having to buy extra stuff ratehr than just giving them what they need right off the bat, but I never would have expected such a strategy from a wonderful company like Fiio.  Not gonna lie, I'm a bit disappointed.

Further Edit:  I do have to wonder. . .are there any options out there for a DAP that would have the same level of SOUND as something like this, but without all the added bluetooth and wifi functionality and stuff like that which I won't ever actually use?  Because all I really need is something that can play music files from internal and micro-SD or SD memory.  I have no need for all that extra functionality similar to what smartphones have.

The thought is that most people would want to use IEMs or efficient headphone on the go so they included the IEM amp module. You really don't need much power to drive most headphones. Example, the new ALO Rx has its output maxed at 28mW and it drives my IEMs extremely well. I only need to turn the volume up 1/8 of the total and it starts to get loud. I honestly don't think it's consumer gouging that they are doing. I'll be testing the X7 with a variety of headphones shortly, as will others, so I suggest people cool their jets and wait for impressions first.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #5,387 of 18,020

From what I have read, the first module will be for IEM's and you don't need a lot of power for those but you do want a quiet amp. I wouldn't expect a IEM amp to be high powered. Also James has stated that the modules will be very reasonable, and they have lived up to their word in the past so I don't see the issue. 

And you can trust men named James...

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #5,388 of 18,020
There have been many requests to FiiO in this forum to provide multiple SKUs at the time of purchase so users don't end up having to pay extra, or worse yet, leave a piece of electronics to further choke our landfills. My guess is that FiiO is playing it extra cautious here and trying to provide what would be the safest option for the most sales. They have shown that they are willing to adjust their inventory based on user feedback so maybe they will provide bundle options for the customer at the point of sale in the future.

Many have suggested to FiiO to sell the X7 without an amp module and have all amp modules available so the customer can choose one at the time of purchase. This of course is very risky for FiiO as there is no way for them to know how many extra modules to produce for each amp module option and therefore this can create a huge sales risk for FiiO. There really is no perfect solution to the idea of multiple amp module options.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #5,389 of 18,020
  Goo Goo

Why should I pay three and a half times as much for something if it won't be able to adequately drive some of the same headphones that the cheaper Fiio X3ii can drive, and then as a result be forced to have to pay extra for an optional amp module component?  That really isn't reasonable, man. 

I am really not being the least bit childish by saying so.  I love Fiio, they are by far one of my favorite if not my very favorite electronics and audio companies in the world.  But I'm not such a blind fanboy that I won't call them out on something silly and unreasonable when I see it.  I will re-iterate:  The X7 costs three and a half times as much as the X3ii, but in its standard/stock config won't be able to drive some of the same headphones that the X3ii can due to having only half the output power, thus forcing some people to ahve to go and buy an extra component.
There have been many requests to FiiO in this forum to provide multiple SKUs at the time of purchase so users don't end up having to pay extra, or worse yet, leave a piece of electronics to further choke our landfills. My guess is that FiiO is playing it extra cautious here and trying to provide what would be the safest option for the most sales. They have shown that they are willing to adjust their inventory based on user feedback so maybe they will provide bundle options for the customer at the point of sale in the future.

Many have suggested to FiiO to sell the X7 without an amp module and have all amp modules available so the customer can choose one at the time of purchase. This of course is very risky for FiiO as there is no way for them to know how many extra modules to produce for each amp module option and therefore this can create a huge sales risk for FiiO. There really is no perfect solution to the idea of multiple amp module options.

Now here is someone being far more reasonable in response to my concerns
rolleyes.gif
  These are all excellent points.  I guess 100mW into 32 ohms isn't awful or anything.  I just don't see why they couldn't have made the default/stock module be at least as powerful as the ones in the X3ii and X5ii, both of which do just fine driving even the most sensitive of IEM's with a perfectly black hiss-free background.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #5,390 of 18,020
goodyfresh see my post above yours. Perhaps the medium powered module would be better to bundle with the X7, but then I can see many IEM users complaining that there may be hiss. We'll have to WAIT AND SEE WHAT USERS REPORT before we get bent out of shape over the included amp modules.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #5,393 of 18,020
goodyfresh-I'm happy with the current setup, but I think you make a fair and valid point. I own the og x3 and x1, both drive IEMS without hiss and they appear to have a more powerful amp section. You are definitely entitled to your opinion, especially without being attacked.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #5,394 of 18,020

Why should I pay three and a half times as much for something if it won't be able to adequately drive some of the same headphones that the cheaper Fiio X3ii can drive, and then as a result be forced to have to pay extra for an optional amp module component?  That really isn't reasonable, man. 

I am really not being the least bit childish by saying so.  I love Fiio, they are by far one of my favorite if not my very favorite electronics and audio companies in the world.  But I'm not such a blind fanboy that I won't call them out on something silly and unreasonable when I see it.  I will re-iterate:  The X7 costs three and a half times as much as the X3ii, but in its standard/stock config won't be able to drive some of the same headphones that the X3ii can due to having only half the output power, thus forcing some people to ahve to go and buy an extra component.
Now here is someone being far more reasonable in response to my concerns
rolleyes.gif
  These are all excellent points.  I guess 100mW into 32 ohms isn't awful or anything.  I just don't see why they couldn't have made the default/stock module be at least as powerful as the ones in the X3ii and X5ii, both of which do just fine driving even the most sensitive of IEM's with a perfectly black hiss-free background.

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's a simple proposition. The world spins on.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #5,397 of 18,020
will there be a balanced iem module? or does the iem module comes with balanced out? balance is the trend and i think iems deserve a lower power balance our.

Yes. Please read the first post, item 6.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #5,399 of 18,020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back