FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Aug 6, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #4,441 of 18,020
  Well for $700 the ZX1 has 128gb memory in a single chip Sandisk package, so I don't understand why Chinese dap's can't do the same, maybe being a smaller company makes it hard for them to get good prices? Although the hardware of X7 is looking to be more expensive than ZX1, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for the 128gb X7 to be priced higher than ZX1, but not by to much I should think.

so why SONY does not put a ESS9018 into ZX2 and make it can output 10 times power, or even bigger. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 6, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #4,442 of 18,020
SONY is dead!

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #4,443 of 18,020
so why SONY does not put a ESS9018 into ZX2 and make it can output 10 times power, or even bigger. 

Well they put the ESS9018 in their PHA-3 (which goes on sale for $699 at amazon sometimes), and they had their reasons, ZX2 has more finesse, and battery life (33hrs!), but if you want power then that's what their PHA-3 is for. It's not like a ESS9018 costs an arm and a leg, more like $40 in bulk. A 128gb Nand chip and controller is around $80 in bulk, at least for Sony and Apple etc. If you can do 32gb X7 for $699, then why not 128gb X7 for $799.
Quote:
SONY is dead!

no

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #4,444 of 18,020
@JamesFiiO just wanted to say a big well done on the design and aesthetics, you've already captured my interest and potentials moneys. Also wanted to add if you play this right and price this perfectly you'll have the true top of the line killer and i'm not even talking about being a dark horse or underdog, this will truly shine.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #4,445 of 18,020

@Joe Bloggs

One weird thing I see there. Why are there 2 volume controls (what seems to be to me at least) on it with one on the right and one on the left? It is for ambidextrous people?

One of the rocker should be for volume, the other one is next / previous key. I guess it will be less confusing if the volume key is + / - instead of arrows.

... and a slightly different shape. I can see a lot of confusion as you move X7 from left hand to right hand or when you have it in your pocket and don't know if you are pressing buttons on the right side or the left side. I hope there is still a chance to make playback buttons slightly different instead of being identical and symmetrical to volume and power.

Don't get me wrong, X7 looks awesome, and I have no doubt it will sound awesome. Just questioning the logic behind buttons symmetrical shape and placement.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #4,446 of 18,020
Well they put the ESS9018 in their PHA-3 (which goes on sale for $699 at amazon sometimes), and they had their reasons, ZX2 has more finesse, and battery life (33hrs!), but if you want power then that's what their PHA-3 is for. It's not like a ESS9018 costs an arm and a leg, more like $40 in bulk. A 128gb Nand chip and controller is around $80 in bulk, at least for Sony and Apple etc. If you can do 32gb X7 for $699, then why not 128gb X7 for $799.  Just to be clear, I realize Sony has higher markups than you guys (excluding sales) but there is no denying they are great products with great design put into them and are ultimately worth their cost imo.

err, yea...

A ZX1 + PHA-3 is not as pretty and versatile as a single X7. Plus X7 is a lot more portable.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #4,447 of 18,020
^ My point was the ZX2 and PHA3 are for different things, and the X7 is different again, they aren't exactly competing against each other given their completely different designs and price points. Someone after power wont buy a ZX2 etc.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #4,448 of 18,020
^ My point was the ZX2 and PHA3 are for different things, and the X7 is different again, they aren't exactly competing against each other given their completely different designs. Someone after power wont buy a ZX2 etc.

Someone who after power can also get the X7 + the approriate amp module. And get another module for iem only. To me that makes more sense than any traditional stack. I bet it's still cheaper than the Sony's

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #4,449 of 18,020
Someone who after power can also get the X7 + the approriate amp module. And get another module for iem only. To me that makes more sense than any traditional stack. I bet it's still cheaper than the Sony's

The Fiio X7 would be outgunned by the PHA-3 (can be found for $699 in sales), just stack it to any smartphone, PHA-3 can do everything in one, no need to swap cards, it's pcb is a thing of beauty, PHA-3 amp would be much larger and more sophisticated than the X7 removable amp.

But they are completely different products. As you said, it won't be as pretty as a single X7. There is really no product that makes more sense than all others, only products that fit our own specific needs. Although I will say that X7 looks to be offering the most versatility in single package, with android, big screen, great build, ES9018, removable amp, it's a great product. Hopefully we will see 128gb memory at a decent price like $799. Though I hope the tuning of X7 amp is better than X5ii amp, I couldn't get along with the sound of X5ii.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, I had a perfectly valid statement about 128gb memory, then I was just pointing out that all these products are quality and all have their own place.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #4,450 of 18,020

I hope this will have drawers so that bottom bar isn't taking up 25% of the screen at all times.
and the search bar should be after hitting the music button or internet button and not permanently based on top...taking way too much space.
I am on a droid right now and if this works with 3rd party apps like power amp or anything with scrolling album art it seems that will be taxing the 1gig or RAM just that searching via album art and not considering a possible jump on the net while listening.

I skipped the x5ii but am considering this but the screen is smallish and it's being used in a swiss army way...the screen area.

I want my album art to take the whole screen unless I engage it via touch to do something else.
I love the swappable config but that U.I. looks bad.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #4,452 of 18,020
Looks very good.

I think that's an Android widget to control the player.

Eager to try this player.

Question: on the upcoming review tour, the X7 will be sent with all the different modules?

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #4,453 of 18,020
 I never really cared for album art or what size it should be. It may look cool and all from looking at it. As long the name of the track and artist is there which I usually look at when I am changing tracks when its not in my pocket. As long the U.I is easy to use and fast and responsive.  

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #4,454 of 18,020
And a complimentary copy of Jane Zhang's most recent album too, right?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back