FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Aug 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #4,456 of 18,020
... and a slightly different shape. I can see a lot of confusion as you move X7 from left hand to right hand or when you have it in your pocket and don't know if you are pressing buttons on the right side or the left side. I hope there is still a chance to make playback buttons slightly different instead of being identical and symmetrical to volume and power.

Don't get me wrong, X7 looks awesome, and I have no doubt it will sound awesome. Just questioning the logic behind buttons symmetrical shape and placement.

I personally wouldn't have issues knowing which is which while in-pocket-manipulation, because you have the bumped backside that helps as reference.
i.e.: left of bump -> volume,  right of bump ->track skip

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #4,457 of 18,020
  I personally wouldn't have issues knowing which is which while in-pocket-manipulation, because you have the bumped backside that helps as reference.

Really... all one needs to do is to remember how the unit is in a pocket and which side from that perspective has the desired button. I know that people seem have an aversion to thinking if they can avoid it, but this one hardly can be considered a consciousness stretcher, or even a brain teaser. If one happens to push the incorrect button, there is no danger to life or limb... worst case, try the other side.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #4,458 of 18,020
Have to say I'm not overly keen on the design, and having buttons in same position on both sides is a big design mistake surely.
One handed operation, you try and use buttons on one side and press buttons on other side also.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #4,459 of 18,020

Really... all one needs to do is to remember how the unit is in a pocket and which side from that perspective has the desired button. I know that people seem have an aversion to thinking if they can avoid it, but this one hardly can be considered a consciousness stretcher, or even a brain teaser. If one happens to push the incorrect button, there is no danger to life or limb... worst case, try the other side.

Sure, worst case instead of pushing Play/Pause you will push Power and turn it off.  No biggie, right?
tongue.gif
  ... though it's Android so it will be hanging in there with a message waiting for your confirmation if you want to Power off...

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #4,460 of 18,020

Sure, worst case instead of pushing Play/Pause you will push Power and turn it off.  No biggie, right?
tongue.gif
  ... though it's Android so it will be hanging in there with a message waiting for your confirmation if you want to Power off...

I guess you are correct, that would be a crisis of major proportions. So traumatic that one may even avoid doing it the second time... maybe?

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #4,461 of 18,020
I just love the design. Very excited to see it in person. Are the specs finalized? I read them a few pages back but wasn't sure that was what we'll see in final producti

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #4,462 of 18,020

tongue.gif

I guess you are correct, that would be a crisis of major proportions. So traumatic that one may even avoid doing it the second time... maybe?

of course I'm correct 
biggrin.gif
that is a reason why dozens of audio companies respect my opinion and send me boxes with review material every week.  That's my contribution to this community, while I can clearly see yours from "valuable" replies in this thread
rolleyes.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #4,463 of 18,020
  Have to say I'm not overly keen on the design, and having buttons in same position on both sides is a big design mistake surely.
One handed operation, you try and use buttons on one side and press buttons on other side also.

Same here. It seems to be the old story that if you can't get your new product to work better than your old product you'd better paint it a brighter color. I see a lot of talk about features and the Android OS with bilateral buttons and album art when the machine is a music player. A. Music. Player. How did we get off the track of sound quality, build quality, battery life and a long warranty? I don't care how much memory I can cram in it if I know I can buy a better sounding unit for nearly the same price. Sometimes I think most of you have forgotten the value of a Dollar and now you don't even care how well an item works if it is the latest and your friends all have one too. Foolish.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #4,464 of 18,020

Same here. It seems to be the old story that if you can't get your new product to work better than your old product you'd better paint it a brighter color. I see a lot of talk about features and the Android OS with bilateral buttons and album art when the machine is a music player. A. Music. Player. How did we get off the track of sound quality, build quality, battery life and a long warranty? I don't care how much memory I can cram in it if I know I can buy a better sounding unit for nearly the same price. Sometimes I think most of you have forgotten the value of a Dollar and now you don't even care how well an item works if it is the latest and your friends all have one too. Foolish.

I think at this point talking about sound or build quality will be a pure speculations until we start reading impressions from reviewers and early adopters.  For now, we are just "venting out" based on the visual impression after seeing that sexy teaser
wink.gif
  At this point I don't care as much about DAC or Opamp because I have seen plenty of examples where some companies use popular devices to make their spec look impressive, but have no idea how to do a proper pwb layout or power supply filtering, etc.  FiiO has great experience in design and I'm sure X7 will be tuned according to the flagship status.  I'm actually more excited about balanced high power amp module
biggrin.gif

Personally, I think it was a good idea for FiiO to share that first image and hopefully they will listen to some of our feedback.  The whole thing with buttons is not the end of the world, I agree.  You can't change the layout because design is frozen, but perhaps they can change a button mold to reshape them differently enough so you can id by sliding your finger without looking at DAP or trying to figure out which side is facing you.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #4,466 of 18,020
I have followed thread since near beginning but getting lost on what will be available and when!  Especially as still talking about button design/placement and internal storage!

Would be great to get a firm (or very close) release date and what will be available when i.e. just Basic X7 with X storage for Y dollars or will X/Y/Z Amp (and/or DAC) modules for X dollars also be ready from start.   (then the storage module.....how far away is that?)

Will help with the money burning a hole in my wallet and current thoughts of AK380 :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #4,470 of 18,020
One would rather not when he's riding a motorbike to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back