FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
May 21, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #286 of 18,020
Why don't you build good cheap amp like you usually did for pairing with x3, the right size like x5/e12.. Instead making some expensive one, some manufacturers has already covered that up.

May 21, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #288 of 18,020
I personally think HD will slowly become the norm for most. The reason is simple - your generally public doesn't like the idea of "low / standard" resolution anymore. Just like you don't find that many 4K service out there, yet 4K TV is a hot sale these days. Just saying you are not using / listening / watching HD seems to imply you are missing something. If anything, people are already sold on the concept of HD being the format of tomorrow. HD music is just going to piggyback on that trend.

DSD on the other hand, I don't get. It really isn't a format that shows obvious advantage over PCM, and the working principle is way too complicated for your average consumer to understand (*not as clear cut as high vs. low). I think it might just be another Beta vs. VHS, where Sony is going to lose again.

May 21, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #290 of 18,020
  I personally think HD will slowly become the norm for most. The reason is simple - your generally public doesn't like the idea of "low / standard" resolution anymore. Just like you don't find that many 4K service out there, yet 4K TV is a hot sale these days. Just saying you are not using / listening / watching HD seems to imply you are missing something. If anything, people are already sold on the concept of HD being the format of tomorrow. HD music is just going to piggyback on that trend.

DSD on the other hand, I don't get. It really isn't a format that shows obvious advantage over PCM, and the working principle is way too complicated for your average consumer to understand (*not as clear cut as high vs. low). I think it might just be another Beta vs. VHS, where Sony is going to lose again.

I honestly think DSD will take simple because of it's BIGGER and many consumers think bigger=better, as soon as Apple starts selling Lossless files, and high quality files around 24/96 and even DSD 
CD/music is dead. Go back to Vinyl or spend money on gear.

Thats a silly statement, 

Still I have a feeling it will take, again bigger hard drives will need something to fill them up, like 4k Video Files and DSD music

May 22, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #291 of 18,020

The wave of the future is HDR high dynamic range along with 4k and 8k and 20k.  I got to see an 8k prototype and it does look nice.  I don't see why the public should "want" standard definition.  3d tv for now is a gimmick.  Still hasn't taken on much other than at the theaters.  As for sound, that is subjective.  Our ears are more limited than our sight.

HD is already the norm by the way.  Not sure where you can find standard definition televisions anymore.  Haven't seen one in years myself, less you live in the boonies.  

Even so the HDTV didn't really take off until movies and programming was made for it.  Having a couple news stations didn't make it take off.  The sports and other programming and movies did.  Until musicians record in 24/96 or 24/192 there's very little content.  The hardware will be bought by consumers when the material that people listen to is available.  The high quality audio libraries are too few and far between for now.  Until then.  Pono away...

May 22, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #292 of 18,020

I still buy 2nd hand CDs and, if I have a choice between buying a 16/44.1 download or buying the same content on CD, I prefer to buy the CD. I won't deny that, for the new releases, I do have a twinge of guilt, from an environmental perspective, so I may change before CDs stop being produced. In either case, it won't stop me buying 2nd hand CDs of older albums, though.

I'm losing interest in the X7, simply because I feel it is lacking clarity in its intent, but whether I buy an X5, DX90, or whatever, I will be playing some 24/96 and a whole heap of 16/44.1, simply because I own so much of it, like Mimouille.

My feeling is that this stems from wanting to please everybody, which is impossible. They'll have to put some ideas on the chopping block, sooner or later.

May 22, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #294 of 18,020

My feeling is that this stems from wanting to please everybody, which is impossible. They'll have to put some ideas on the chopping block, sooner or later.

In a way, I also feel that Fiio should just release what they think is flagship

agree'd. I am ofc a fan of simplicity. I want my DAP to simply play music files in the highest quality possible. The DX90 is starting to appeal to me... as I'd love something with the OLD Hifiman HM801 interface and size, with a dual ESS Savre Dac Output stage and inpout. Honestly I love my HM801, and I'm hoping the DX90 or Fiio X7 will match it's simplistic elegance but with a higher and slighty more neutral sound 

May 22, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #295 of 18,020

HD is already the norm by the way.  Not sure where you can find standard definition televisions anymore.  Haven't seen one in years myself, less you live in the boonies.  

Let me introduce you to the place we called the third world. It isn't a large place, just most of the world. 
wink.gif

If one extra feature has very obvious compromise, then let put it to the chopping block. But I don't see why WiFi or Bluetooth, as much as they are not the audiophile features, need to be removed. 

May 22, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #297 of 18,020

Let me introduce you to the place we called the third world. It isn't a large place, just most of the world. 
wink.gif

If one extra feature has very obvious compromise, then let put it to the chopping block. But I don't see why WiFi or Bluetooth, as much as they are not the audiophile features, need to be removed. 

In 2012 these were the shipments of television types worldwide.  All LCD/ pDP/OLED televisions are HDTV's but can handle SDTV with conversion.  The CRT televisions are mixed HD and SD.  So this being 2014 I don't see the standard televisions as "increasing" or "the standard" as you say.

The main manufactures are not creating Standard definition televisions at all, as there is no money in it anymore.  The unknown small manufacturers in those 3rd world may be making a few, but no, HD is the standard now and SD is the extreme minority.

LCD TV 87.3%
PDP TV5.7%
OLED TV0.0%
CRT TV6.9%
RPTV0.0%
Total100%

May 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #298 of 18,020
  In 2012 these were the shipments of television types worldwide.  All LCD/ pDP/OLED televisions are HDTV's but can handle SDTV with conversion.  The CRT televisions are mixed HD and SD.  So this being 2014 I don't see the standard televisions as "increasing" or "the standard" as you say.

The main manufactures are not creating Standard definition televisions at all, as there is no money in it anymore.  The unknown small manufacturers in those 3rd world may be making a few, but no, HD is the standard now and SD is the extreme minority.

LCD TV 87.3%
PDP TV5.7%
OLED TV0.0%
CRT TV6.9%
RPTV0.0%
Total100%

Yes, and now what is the TV choice of hi-res DAP owners of head-fi ?

May 22, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #299 of 18,020

Lol, good point but it was not my analogy comparing HD to audio HD. Just stating the fact high resolution video is already prevalent. For audio mass market is getting a taste through some blue ray mediums but the masses are listening through sub-par home audio ht systems. Unless they are avs type persons.

I am happy to see new found interest in better audio. The iSheep crowd (not all of them) have been living with low quality apple format for over a decade or so.

May 22, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #300 of 18,020

Lol, good point but it was not my analogy comparing HD to audio HD. Just stating the fact high resolution video is already prevalent. For audio mass market is getting a taste through some blue ray mediums but the masses are listening through sub-par home audio ht systems. Unless they are avs type persons.

I am happy to see new found interest in better audio. The iSheep crowd (not all of them) have been living with low quality apple format for over a decade or so.

I have a Full-HD plasma with 2.0 hi-fi HT and watch only BR... coherent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back