FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jan 3, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2,236 of 18,019
- The Size is not overy important as long as its not bigger than  13cm x7cm x 2 cm

-Screen Size i think 4" is more than enough, after all i dont want to browse internet with it. Smaller would be ok too.

- Battery life should be at least 8h

- The Amp section should be  at least good as on the e12 but i dont know enuff about it to have an opinion.

- NO Bluetooth needed..i got Bluetooth on my smartphone APT-X aswell and since i think its gonna be industry standard for most smartphones when the x7 arrives. why waste the space.

- Also no wifi needed but appreciated. There is a gazillion of other devices to connect to your network player etc. Only put in if you have  left over space and dont need to compromize on other stuff for that.

- depending on the size I'd like me a 6,3mm jack next to the 3,5mm and besides that the same in/out as on the kunlun

-would be cool if battery was replaceable, and the device can be opened, i don't mind undoing some screws.

-What would be super sweet from my point of view, and what i havent seen on any other device yet, was a remote, that would be either plugged in (2,5mm?) and have a, say 30 cm long cable so i could have the x7 in the pocket and could just clip the remote to the belt of the trouser or so. If bluettoth was to be included, I'd like a wireless remote.

Don't want to sound overly dramatic, but imagine how little additional work it is for fiio (ok lies :), and how much comfort it is, specially for disabled people, that are uncomfortable with pulling out a failry heavy and expancive device out of somewhere using their 3-fingered-one hand

-price could be up around whatever the newest iphone costs at that time, but since they tend to go crazy I'd say 700$ :)
You could charge extra for the remote!

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,237 of 18,019
I guess X7 will make that possible for you. With X5 and DX90 driving my HE-400i is already a reality for me. If Fiio makes an amp for X7 that can drive 600 ohm cans then I can do that as well with my T1.

No, the X7 will not be powerful enough for my LCD-2, even at 500mW output. Those planar drivers simply need more power to get the dynamics right. Other planar drivers are easier to drive, like my XC's or the Oppo PM-1. Strapping a more powerful amp (like the e12 at a minimum) opens up more possibilities.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just pointing out that there are a variety of listening scenarios that don't match with a blanket statement that the DAP's amp is good enough. Sometimes it isn't. Is it typical? No. Is adding a portable amp invalid? No. Are portable amps fun? YES.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #2,238 of 18,019
haha im such an idiot, just now relized you posted how its gonna look already..nice! btw..i hope you manage to bring it to the stores soon, since im going to china im mai :)

-just hope the bt is apt-x
-no 6,3 jack :frowning2:
-no remote ;(

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #2,239 of 18,019
haha im such an idiot, just now relized you posted how its gonna look already..nice! btw..i hope you manage to bring it to the stores soon, since im going to china im mai :)

-just hope the bt is apt-x
-no 6,3 jack :frowning2:
-no remote ;(

Yes, apt-x

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #2,240 of 18,019
One mSD card slot "sacrificed" for wifi plug-in.  Otherwise wifi has to go elsewhere and will create less battery use time.  Fiio figures 256mb cards are coming soon, in the meantime make do with 128.  I really don't think Fiio cares if people want to jam their entire music library on the device at this moment.  Something had to give, and it was the second slot.

Fair enough. On another discussion and if I remembering from a previous post you now own a Ponoplayer olddude? I'm wondering if you can give us some comments on SQ vs X5. Also can you confirm if the Pono has same DAC that the X7 will be using being the ESS Sabre 9018? I read something about this. For $400 it's pretty nice package but I'm willing to spend bit more on X7 if it's a blowout comparisons sound quality wise.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,241 of 18,019
Fair enough. On another discussion and if I remembering from a previous post you now own a Ponoplayer olddude? I'm wondering if you can give us some comments on SQ vs X5. Also can you confirm if the Pono has same DAC that the X7 will be using being the ESS Sabre 9018? I read something about this. For $400 it's pretty nice package but I'm willing to spend bit more on X7 if it's a blowout comparisons sound quality wise.

Sorry olddude, I don't mean to reply for you but I have some comments on this.

I thought the DAC was the same between the two, X7 and Pono, but it seems the one in the Pono is the ESS9018M as listed on their website. If that's the case then it would be the 2 channel 9018 portable DAC in the Pono and not the 8 channel 9018 DAC in the X7. That's important because the channels are used for noise rejection according to the ESS Sabre white papers. Given the positive reports about the Pono I'm really interested now in the X7 DAC implementation.

There are a few comparisons to the X5 in the Pono thread. You should check it out kdub

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #2,242 of 18,019
Sorry olddude, I don't mean to reply for you but I have some comments on this.

I thought the DAC was the same between the two, X7 and Pono, but it seems the one in the Pono is the ESS9018M as listed on their website. If that's the case then it would be the 2 channel 9018 portable DAC in the Pono and not the 8 channel 9018 DAC in the X7. That's important because the channels are used for noise rejection according to the ESS Sabre white papers. Given the positive reports about the Pono I'm really interested now in the X7 DAC implementation.

There are a few comparisons to the X5 in the Pono thread. You should check it out kdub

Yes you're correct Relic. Seems like the Pono is using the "M" variant of DAC mentioned. I myself very curious how the DAC will be implemented for final product to demo.
Thanks I will check out the link for Pono vs X5 comparison.

Sorry to side step a bit here but does anyone know where one can buy physical 24 bit audio media these days besides download from sites like HDTracks.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #2,243 of 18,019
The Pono sounds VERY good.  I think it has more "life" and, especially, detail than does the X5, after a week of listening to it.  Maybe a bit less forgiving in the uppers with less than stellar source material, but with good source material it's really amazing in the uppers.  Good strong bass, very good mids.  I haven't done an a/b comparison yet, will do so at some point.  But I can say that I haven't listened to the X5 since getting the Pono.

I have to assume that the 8 channel DAC will be "better."  If it's better than the Pono, it will be very good indeed.  I didn't expect to like the Pono, it was a gift and I thought "oh yeah, sure," but it's really won me over.  Easy to use, though not much GUI on it (only an On/Start/Stop/Forward/Backward, a Volume Up and a Volume Down button, no way to turn off the display, have to let it time out - shortest is 10 seconds).  Smallish touch screen, software works well.  No EQ.  Battery life the typical 8 or so hours.  

I dumped the computer interface Pono app and now just drag and drop files onto it and the mSD.  Loading files on it takes some time, but once it's loaded (the Pono itself, not the card), it responds quickly.  No folder to folder, but it has gapless and some sort of replay gain though I'm not sure how well that's working.  All in all, quite nice, though a weird shape.  

Oh, and it accepts balanced cables, which I understand have a rather fantastic presence with this device.  Apparently it's even better plugged in that way than with HO and iems or single-cable headphones.  Even with a home unit.  Check out the Pono thread, people like it a lot.  

I will be buying an X7, especially if the sound quality is as good as I think it will be.  Fiio makes quality products, and I think it has its eye on the prize with the X7.  

I assume you can buy physical 24bit at some of the hi-res sites, but haven't done so myself.  Check ProStudio Masters, I just got some stuff there, see if they offer it.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #2,247 of 18,019
Hardware discussion is over, device is in pre-production mode, as James has stated only software changes from now on.  

Blast, just when I was going to ask for a tube shape in yellow :)

PS - oppo android app on my tablet worked, thanks.

Really like the idea of x7 app control for when connected to my HiFi, otherside of room. X5 sounds great through my rega DAC.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,248 of 18,019
Blast, just when I was going to ask for a tube shape in yellow :)

PS - oppo android app on my tablet worked, thanks.

Really like the idea of x7 app control for when connected to my HiFi, otherside of room. X5 sounds great through my rega DAC.

Glad I could help.  

Like I said, everyone likes candy bars.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2,249 of 18,019

Actually, I challenge anyone to tell the thread that my AK100 II is not the prettiest little lady they have ever seen in the audiophile market. 

Challenge accepted! Xuelin Ihifi 770:

That is a very pretty dap. It reminds me of a larger version of my old Colorfly C3.

I didn't mean to say that there are not other pretty daps out there or even that my AK100 II was the prettiest, just that I had not heard anyone dissing the looks of the AK100 II to date. Combine the AK100 II looks with its SQ that matches the AK240 - same signature, less the additional power of the second amp (based on 4 hours of audition) - and you have an all star performer for those that do not need the extra power. I am just trying to say that you can have both looks and skills. That previous prototype design definitely would have given the X7 the looks. Hopefully, the final design will be prettier than it appears too. Looking forward to the tour to find out.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2,250 of 18,019
  - The Size is not overy important as long as its not bigger than  13cm x7cm x 2 cm

-Screen Size i think 4" is more than enough, after all i dont want to browse internet with it. Smaller would be ok too.

- Battery life should be at least 8h

- The Amp section should be  at least good as on the e12 but i dont know enuff about it to have an opinion.

- NO Bluetooth needed..i got Bluetooth on my smartphone APT-X aswell and since i think its gonna be industry standard for most smartphones when the x7 arrives. why waste the space.

- Also no wifi needed but appreciated. There is a gazillion of other devices to connect to your network player etc. Only put in if you have  left over space and dont need to compromize on other stuff for that.

- depending on the size I'd like me a 6,3mm jack next to the 3,5mm and besides that the same in/out as on the kunlun

-would be cool if battery was replaceable, and the device can be opened, i don't mind undoing some screws.

-What would be super sweet from my point of view, and what i havent seen on any other device yet, was a remote, that would be either plugged in (2,5mm?) and have a, say 30 cm long cable so i could have the x7 in the pocket and could just clip the remote to the belt of the trouser or so. If bluettoth was to be included, I'd like a wireless remote.

Don't want to sound overly dramatic, but imagine how little additional work it is for fiio (ok lies :), and how much comfort it is, specially for disabled people, that are uncomfortable with pulling out a failry heavy and expancive device out of somewhere using their 3-fingered-one hand

-price could be up around whatever the newest iphone costs at that time, but since they tend to go crazy I'd say 700$ :)
You could charge extra for the remote!

Of course, you caught my ear with the disabled argument.  I've come to realize that outside of your friends, and those on this thread know who I consider friends, the world says adapt or fall behind.  Reality, not complaint.  Just ask Jim from JRiver.
There are ways around the touchscreen reality for example, and I will find them before I get an X7.  I suspect the disabled who can use a smart phone will be able to control their x7 through BT or something.
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back