FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jan 3, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #2,206 of 18,020
  By the way, am getting a X5 soon, so when the X7 arrives I have something to compare it to. :wink:
= = =

I already have the X3 and was saving for the X5 when I stumbled into this thread of the X7. I ended up doing it the opposite way. I bought an X1 instead. The thinking was, is, I have more saved for the X7's when it hits the stores had I gotten the X5 instead of the X1. Not to mention, I get to appreciate the X3 a bit more :)  And get a better comparison of the X7 viz a viz its older siblings :)

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #2,207 of 18,020

Very good thinking indeed. I got a great deal on the x5 and sold my x3 a day later. Hence it made sense to me and my gadgeteritis :wink:

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #2,208 of 18,020
Please, don't forget about a stacking kit for X7+amp just like the one for X5 but at least with two types of bands for thinner and thicker portable amps as I can hardly imagine how to operate X7 with a rubber band crossing the screen without the kit.

PS Anticipating other members' questions about necessity of external portable amps, you don't really think that a built in amp will be superior to designated portable amps, do you? It's a rhetoric question)

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #2,210 of 18,020
  Please, don't forget about a stacking kit for X7+amp just like the one for X5 but at least with two types of bands for thinner and thicker portable amps as I can hardly imagine how to operate X7 with a rubber band crossing the screen without the kit.

PS Anticipating other members' questions about necessity of external portable amps, you don't really think that a built in amp will be superior to designated portable amps, do you? It's a rhetoric question)

I actually think the opposite. X5 and DX90 for example already has a powerful and excellent amp for a portable device. In what way an external amp superior to internal amp in a portable setup? Most people would use iems and sensitive phones.

I understand using an extenal amp for hard to drive cans but that application is for home and I would rather get a desktop amp instead of a portable one.

With X7 supporting modular amps stacking becomes more redundant and something a stack can never beat.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,211 of 18,020
Once I moved up from a DX50, which NEEDED an amp, to the X5, I've stopped using amps.  I use my player when walking, and one of the nice things about the X5 is that it sounds great with my Fidues without an amp.  And it is certainly more "carryable" by itself.  I expect that the amps provided in the X7 will be just as, if not more, powerful. for that purpose.  I agree that if you use the player at home, an amp might be useful, but for portability, I don't see it.

Some people will always want more power, and that's fine for them.  But personally, for a walking-around device, I see no reason for an "extra" amp. YMMV, of course. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #2,212 of 18,020
I'm still rocking my RWAK100-S (around these parts it's been out of vogue, if it ever was, for over a year already), and the X7 release will be the next time I seriously consider a new DAP.  Maybe I'm looking at the wrong posts, but I just want to be sure:  the X7 will support ALAC playback?

I'm not overly fussed about form factor, though I do actually appreciate the somewhat vanilla design, fwiw.  I love my Vorzuge Pure II amp that I've had for a year, and being able to stack w/out worrying about DAP shape (e.g. Sony ZX1 & it's hump on the back plate) is appreciated.  I only hope build quality is on par for a device in the anticipated $700-800 range as I've seen unflattering remarks about the X5.

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #2,213 of 18,020
I don't think there is a single DAP without someone making unflattering remarks especially from those that don't research what they buy. I have Fiio x5 and iBasso dx90, both are not perfect but for me they are 9/10 and I just love enjoying the music. Especially remastered or SACD albums given a new lease of life from Yes, CCR, Jeff Beck etc. I now link to Tag McLaren HiFi, car, and listen in bed through iems and reckon one more DAP, hopefully x7 will complete my collection.

OT - gee, thanks @olddude, never knew the Oppo app had been released, will try it tonight.

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,214 of 18,020
I just don't see why a higher end audio product needs Bluetooth or wifi?

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,216 of 18,020
I don't think there is a single DAP without someone making unflattering remarks especially from those that don't research what they buy. I have Fiio x5 and iBasso dx90, both are not perfect but for me they are 9/10 and I just love enjoying the music. Especially remastered or SACD albums given a new lease of life from Yes, CCR, Jeff Beck etc. I now link to Tag McLaren HiFi, car, and listen in bed through iems and reckon one more DAP, hopefully x7 will complete my collection.

OT - gee, thanks @olddude, never knew the Oppo app had been released, will try it tonight.

Actually, I challenge anyone to tell the thread that my AK100 II is not the prettiest little lady they have ever seen in the audiophile market. AK knows style. My X5 has guy written all over it from the tank like build to its awe inspiring meaty textured sound to its in your face presentation. The AK is smaller, softer and more female in voice and appearance and gently set back in presentation. I love both of my kids, but I don't mind taking the X5 to the gym while my pretty little AK100 II will never go there.
wink_face.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #2,217 of 18,020
  Actually, I challenge anyone to tell the thread that my AK100 II is not the prettiest little lady they have ever seen in the audiophile market. AK knows style. My X5 has guy written all over it from the tank like build to its awe inspiring meaty textured sound to its in your face presentation. The AK is smaller, softer and more female in voice and appearance and gently set back in presentation. I love both of my kids, but I don't mind taking the X5 to the gym while my pretty little AK100 II will never go there.
wink_face.gif

I think we are getting into the weird territory. lol I hesitate to ask any questions of substance but I can only guess, it has a name?

To me, the X5 has some pretty substantive looks. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #2,218 of 18,020
The X5 supports ALAC so we can assume that the X7 will.

The X5 is very very good.  Ignore (almost all of) what you may have read.  Built very solidly indeed.  Not sure where comments about it's build quality are coming from.  

Most of my love is going to my new Pono, which sounds really really good, but the X5 is a wonderful device at a great price point.  I've had a good time with it.

Fiio is going towards an upper-end touchscreen device with great sound quality.  I'll be getting an X7, as Fiio has not made a clunker yet.  You may not even need a stacked amp the way things are playing out, at least for truly portable use.  

A&K240 is about as upper-end as most of us can get and it has wifi.  I don't want it, I likely won't use it or BT, but others will.  Fiio is going for a market and apparently that market needs those things.

The Oppo app is definitely available for iOS.  Not sure if it is for Android yet.  If you can't find it, try here and ask:  http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1432162-official-oppo-bdp-103-owner-s-thread.html 

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #2,219 of 18,020
Oh, and how gorgeous  is THIS!!!  I'd take it to the gym.  I'd take it to the opera.  I'd take it to..... no, not going there.
rolleyes.gif

Eat your hearts out

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2,220 of 18,020
Or did you really mean this?
rolleyes.gif
:

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back