Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Apr 29, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #437 of 578
Kernel ok
Each time I reboot the X5 I have the prompt to update the firmware (I guess to go to the 1.2.5), can we remove the prompt ?

Since you should have root access, use Titanium Backup from GP store. You can freeze or completely uninstall that technical support application.

May 27, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #439 of 578
Well... I was planning rooting and doing all these upgrades but just don't have the time and hence my entire Fiio X5iii bundle is about to be sold. Thought I'd give fellow users first choice so feel free to email or msg me if you have an interest.

Good Listening...Enjoy the music!

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #440 of 578
Hello, i'm having issue with the airplay receiver function on the fiio X5 III. the player is detected by my mac but when i choose it as audio output, it works for 2 second and then stop. Any idea what's the issue ? Does anybody has the same problem ? I use fiio X5 III with custom firmware with 3.4 kernel. Thanks for your help.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #441 of 578
Hello, i'm having issue with the airplay receiver function on the fiio X5 III. the player is detected by my mac but when i choose it as audio output, it works for 2 second and then stop. Any idea what's the issue ? Does anybody has the same problem ? I use fiio X5 III with custom firmware with 3.4 kernel. Thanks for your help.
It's a known bug. Rolling back to 3.32 you won't find it happening.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #443 of 578
ok thanks for the answer. hopefully the issue will be adressed in a future update :)
The 2 glaring bugs that remain are:

1. Master Quality Authenticated flac files stuttering/hiccuping/buffering(?) during playback in the official Tidal app (when streaming them or listening to ones specifically chosen to download for offline listening). Using USB Audio Player Pro the same MQA designated songs play just fine. I think the kernel dev's said it had to do with poor optimization of the Tidal app, forcing all the load onto one core or something. If this is an issue, at one's own risk, they can look into tidal-dl which renders this issue moot for the time being. :beerchug: If v3.5 ever comes out, I think this is the only thing that will be seen to.

2. The Airplay dropouts... 1 of the 2 kernel developers doesn't have iOS or MacOS devices, so their willingness to fix it is suboptimal :triportsad:.

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #444 of 578
Ok thanks for the clarification.

I finally found a solution to stay on the last custom firmware and use airplay. I installed the Airpin Pro app on the fiio. It has his own airplay implementation and it works just fine and sounds pretty good to me :L3000:

It is also way more flexible than the original airplay integration (can run in background, settings to adjust sound treatment to your need)

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #445 of 578

I finally found a solution to stay on the last custom firmware and use airplay. I installed the Airpin Pro app on the fiio. It has his own airplay implementation and it works just fine and sounds pretty good to me :L3000:

It is also way more flexible than the original airplay integration (can run in background, settings to adjust sound treatment to your need)
Oooohh, nice, adding this one to my wishlist! Good find!

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #446 of 578
The 2 glaring bugs that remain are:

1. Master Quality Authenticated flac files stuttering/hiccuping/buffering(?) during playback in the official Tidal app (when streaming them or listening to ones specifically chosen to download for offline listening). Using USB Audio Player Pro the same MQA designated songs play just fine. I think the kernel dev's said it had to do with poor optimization of the Tidal app, forcing all the load onto one core or something. If this is an issue, at one's own risk, they can look into tidal-dl which renders this issue moot for the time being. :beerchug: If v3.5 ever comes out, I think this is the only thing that will be seen to.

2. The Airplay dropouts... 1 of the 2 kernel developers doesn't have iOS or MacOS devices, so their willingness to fix it is suboptimal :triportsad:.

Sorry for the delayed updates here. For some reason I’m not getting notifications on any new posts to this topic (and I’m the topic starter, go figure...).

Thanks for the find on 2. Truly a good find.

On 1. Tidal sadly has an unorthodox way of load-balancing MQA playback, which conflicts with the new loadbalancing algorithms implemented in v3.4. When I get round to finishing v3.5 I’ll look at reworking the load balancer for Tidal to play nice with. Apologies for the delay guys - have just been sidetracked onto other projects (and lack of new notifications didn’t help :) )

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #447 of 578

We don't really need any other android application for DLNA under Mac OS. The same DLNA and bit-perfect service is provided by DLNA using JRiver - just turn on the built-in media server and set the quality - optimal sound 24 bit PCM. Completely free is the minidlna (under the brew) which I use more. Maybe a little more difficult for beginners, but a little effort is worth it. And playback absolutely reliable. I also use to stream video on TV. DLNA in FiiO manages FiiO Music, Hiby Music, Foobar, Shanling Music (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...q-4-7inch-screen-fw-v3-1.913871/post-15625419 - another Hiby Music clone, I recommend trying it out for the sound), UAPP probably the best. Unfortunately, the neutron is always embarrassed with a scan of the entire library, and even the setup is not the easiest.
I still don't like to buy bigger and bigger SD cards again ... But if you depend on music via Youtube or other sound from the system, then probably only AirPlay
Complete settings minidlna for MAC OSX.
https://salrocks.com/2016/02/24/dlna-on-mac-the-ultimate-guide/
43-10.jpg43-19.jpg44-49.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #448 of 578
Hi guys, total beginner here. Managed to get V3.41 installed last night along with fidelizer 1.2.5. (Thanks to WitzyZed’s walkthrough in the x5iii thread).
Wow what a difference. Really loving the speed/stability of the Kernel.
Quick question if someone can help.

When installing v3.41 I chose custom setup and went with 1416 speed for stability to start off with, and left the rest of the settings at standard.

Now I want to see how it performs with 1704 and maybe change some other settings to help increase the speed.
Do I just reboot back into TWRP recovery and select the jkbuha3.41 file again and install? Or should I complete any other steps before doing this again?

The only other thing I’m really interested in using on the player apart from playing my own flacs, is using Tital. Can anyone recommend what other custom settings to run with in this situation such as disabling app, boost etc. Chhers

Thanks again to jkbuha for all his work on this.

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #449 of 578
Hi guys, total beginner here. Managed to get V3.41 installed last night along with fidelizer 1.2.5. (Thanks to WitzyZed’s walkthrough in the x5iii thread).
Wow what a difference. Really loving the speed/stability of the Kernel.
Quick question if someone can help.

When installing v3.41 I chose custom setup and went with 1416 speed for stability to start off with, and left the rest of the settings at standard.

Now I want to see how it performs with 1704 and maybe change some other settings to help increase the speed.
Do I just reboot back into TWRP recovery and select the jkbuha3.41 file again and install? Or should I complete any other steps before doing this again?

The only other thing I’m really interested in using on the player apart from playing my own flacs, is using Tital. Can anyone recommend what other custom settings to run with in this situation such as disabling app, boost etc. Chhers

Thanks again to jkbuha for all his work on this.

You can install Simple Reboot to make easy reboots or boot into TWRP Recovery (to reflash 3.41 zip and change to 1704 version).

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #450 of 578
At the very beginning, as a new user of this forum, I would like to express my great respect and appreciation and thanks for the work that jkbuha and prispewnic have put into this project, while respecting the contribution of all other forum members. In my opinion the results of this work are impressive.
For many years I used DAP iRiver H10 with Rockbox mod and 240GB drive. It still works well, but my expanding media library as well as tech progress of last years made me purchase the X5iii DAP.
X5iii tempted me with two uSD slots and a modern set of features. With 800 GB onboard, I now have almost all of my albums with me. A few days ago I installed Custom Kernel version 3.31. The whole process went smoothly, I applied 2016MHz version (Droid Info confirms that the processor sometimes goes to this frequency). The player is now fast and using it is pure pleasure. I owe it all to you guys, jkbuha and prispewnic.
Moreover, none of the problems described in this forum occured till now, especially overheating. I even think that the player heats up less now.
I wonder if it is worth switching to version 3. 41 when 3. 31 works so well. Maybe someone could help me make decision or at least clear the subject?
I have a question about root: I haven't done it yet, although TWRP encouraged me to do so. Is root necessary for further upgrade?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back